New Australian audio company Audiofly!
May 10, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #46 of 151
Quote:
I'll stick some impression up pretty much as soon as I get them (give it a day) and then when burned in an I'm out I honeymoon period I will review them.
I will also stick them on my IEM round up so that you can get a goo comparison with other earphones!

Sounds like a plan. Thanks man :) Have you heard a TF10? Because thats another iem I'm considering. I'd be interested to see how they compare. 

May 10, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #47 of 151
Your in luck! I am currently loaning a TF10 for two weeks an the round up will compare them but hopefully I will get to do a direct comparison but that is dependent on postage.
For more info on TF10 I posted impressions on appreciation thread do jump there and question and keep this on task!

May 10, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #48 of 151
Quote:
Your in luck! I am currently loaning a TF10 for two weeks an the round up will compare them but hopefully I will get to do a direct comparison but that is dependent on postage.
For more info on TF10 I posted impressions on appreciation thread do jump there and question and keep this on task!

Oh ok, thats convenient haha. And will do :)

May 12, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #49 of 151
Oh my! The AF78 sounds wonderful with this track below. It's finally beginning to open up some and reveal what it can actually do.

May 12, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #50 of 151
Was concerned initially that I wasn't getting enough bass out of the AF78, but I was making a big mistake trying to wear these with a deep insert the same way I would wear the W4 or GR07. Just tried a bit of a shallow insertion with the the body resting in the lower part of the earlobe. There's the bass!! Now it's like I'm hearing the AF78 all over again. Time to start working on the full review.

May 12, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #52 of 151
Quote:
Aah that's interesting. That will save me a lot of time messing around with insertions and tip testing when I get them! Thanks

beerchug.gif

May 14, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #54 of 151
Quote:
what tips do people use with AF78, and how do they wear them? (I have SF-50, DF-30 and TF-20 and Tx/T500 and the included tips, but am struggling to get a seal (deep enough and stable enough insertion and seal) and the bass weight is eerr.....)

Hello, as I stated above I was having the same issue (and hardly hearing any bass. First, I discovered that the tips are more of a shallow fit (meaning they shouldn't fit deep in your ear canals like many IEMs tips do. Angle the tips to sort of cover the entrance of the ear canal, but don't push it in. Now, let the body of the earphone rest inside the lower flap of your earlobe. More details and bass should come through for you. It takes some time getting it in the right position, but that's what worked for me. My review wasn't going to be too glowing regarding sound quality, but luckily I played around with it enough to find the sweet spot. It is unfortunate, however, that the AF78 takes a bit of work to get it to give its maximum sound quality, but once there it's worth it. Happy listening.

May 14, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #55 of 151
Oh, regarding tips. I like the large stock silicon tips, but I'm also using some medium/large Monster hybrid silicon/foam tips (silver grey).

May 14, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #56 of 151
Hello, as I stated above I was having the same issue (and hardly hearing any bass. First, I discovered that the tips are more of a shallow fit (meaning they shouldn't fit deep in your ear canals like many IEMs tips do. Angle the tips to sort of cover the entrance of the ear canal, but don't push it in. Now, let the body of the earphone rest inside the lower flap of your earlobe. More details and bass should come through for you. It takes some time getting it in the right position, but that's what worked for me. My review wasn't going to be too glowing regarding sound quality, but luckily I played around with it enough to find the sweet spot. It is unfortunate, however, that the AF78 takes a bit of work to get it to give its maximum sound quality, but once there it's worth it. Happy listening.

if I do it the way you describe they don't sit there firmly and get knocked out easily (and the stiff cable is not great for wearing over the ear, to say the least) . (and the isolation is next to 0 and worse than MPE-933) (same with normal cable down insertion). One ear it works ok, on my right one it doesn't hold like that for some reason.

I can sort of get it to sit ok and relatively securely/with a bit better bass with the nozzle going into the ear, the cable going out (not down or up, out of the ear, but you can still tuck the cable over the ear) and the body sitting there on the side. However, the silver rim is protruding out of the body and irritates the bits where it touches the ear.

Even then the seal is bad, and the only way I get decent bass is by turning up BBE and Mach3bass on Cowon D2+.

I'm extremely disappointed in the ergonomics/comfort/isolation/usability of these. (they should've paid attention to that instead of making them look cool)

May 14, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #57 of 151
Quote:
if I do it the way you describe they don't sit there firmly and get knocked out easily (and the stiff cable is not great for wearing over the ear, to say the least) . (and the isolation is next to 0 and worse than MPE-933) (same with normal cable down insertion). One ear it works ok, on my right one it doesn't hold like that for some reason.
I can sort of get it to sit ok and relatively securely/with a bit better bass with the nozzle going into the ear, the cable going out (not down or up, out of the ear, but you can still tuck the cable over the ear) and the body sitting there on the side. However, the silver rim is protruding out of the body and irritates the bits where it touches the ear.
Even then the seal is bad, and the only way I get decent bass is by turning up BBE and Mach3bass on Cowon D2+.
I'm extremely disappointed in the ergonomics/comfort/isolation/usability of these. (they should've paid attention to that instead of making them look cool)

Well everything isn't for everybody, or fits everyone. I had trouble with the Sony EX series fitting in my ears properly. So I can understand this. Universals aren't 100 percent universal.

May 14, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #58 of 151
Well everything isn't for everybody, or fits everyone. I had trouble with the Sony EX series fitting in my ears properly. So I can understand this. Universals aren't 100 percent universal.

my ear hurts after fiddling with the earphones/tips/fit for the a few hours yesterday and today :frowning2: . Yay, anti-inflammatories (and lack of sense of measure).

May 14, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #60 of 151
Quote:
So what I gather is that the AF78 is warm, sort of like toned down Merlin?  Atttraaaaactive.

More on the warm than cool side of things, but not too warm..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back