New audiophile, recently obtained an LCD2 and an HD800. Should I upgrade my Magni 2 / Modi 2 stack with a Gustard H10, or a Magni 3?

What should I get to amp my HD800 and LCD2?

• Gustard H10

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Magni 3

• Something else

• Total voters
Sep 26, 2017 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Àedhàn Cassiel

100+ Head-Fier
I don't mind keeping the Magni 2 if, say, the Magni 3 would be only marginal improvement for the HD800 so I might as well keep the Magni 2 for amping the HD800, but the Gustard H10 would still be a significant enough upgrade for the LCD-2. It sounds like this particular scenario isn't very plausible, but I'm just trying to outline the basic general principle. It's a plus if whatever I were to upgrade to would work for both and thus allow me to sell the Magni 2, though.

Whatever I get definitely needs to be under about 300 total - unless I'm better off saving and making a $600 upgrade some months down the line instead. I'm under the impression that upgrading the amp would do more for my total sound quality than upgrading the amp. I can't upgrade anything at all without purchasing because of where I live, so there's that, and it limits me. I can't even say - thus far - that I can discern the differences in SQ between different amps. But given how quickly I took to the HD800s, even listening to them side by side with HD600s and other headphones, I feel like it's safe to say I fall somewhere in the natural audiophile category.

Sep 26, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #2 of 11
The Schiit Stack is a great place to start! I wouldn't bother getting the Magni 3 because it isn't much of an upgrade. Sure it puts out a bit more power but the two cans you currently own respond well to much more juice. I own the LCD2 and also have the 800 on my desk and I run them both through my Jotunheim. The Jot is slightly bright which helps the LCD2 out a bunch and makes it a tad more sparkly. The 800 sounds great with the Jot to my ears too. I run the LCD2 and HD650 both balanced as well, because the balanced out on my amp puts out much more power than the single ended 1/4" jack. If you can find a solid state amp that puts out a good deal more power than you'll be all set.

Sep 27, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #4 of 11
I actually had someone on r/headphones tell me that the Magni 3 is a dramatic step up from the Magni 2, and almost as good as the Jot specifically.
I'm sure it's powerful but the Jot puts out 3x the power at 50 ohms and over twice the power at 300 ohms. And it's fully balanced, and has more I/O. It also depends on where you want to end up! Jot is more futureproof and versatile for down the road. I would argue that the VALUE of the Magni 3 is better because it's still only a hundred bucks. That's a lot of great performance for the price. I'd go so far as to say it's hands down the best $100 amp in existence

Sep 27, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #6 of 11
I actually think the Magni 3 sounds more balanced then the Jot.

It is significantly better then the 2, and has a similar sound to my Darkstar(my favorite ss amp).
Dumb question but you're not using the single ended output on the Jot are you?

Sep 27, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #7 of 11
I'm under the impression that upgrading the amp would do more for my total sound quality than upgrading the amp.

Actually, it would be the same amount, since you said amp both times. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

the two cans you currently own respond well to much more juice.

I don't think so. Driving my own HD 800 from a Chord Mojo (which can only output up to 70 mW at 300 ohms...and the HD 800's impedance fluctuates, going up to 600 ohms at some frequencies) and someone else's HD 800 from the balanced output of powerful solid state amps costing thousands made next to no difference in the sound signature of the headphones.

I think it's just that people too often confuse the sound signature of electronics with output power, the latter of which hardly matters (beyond the basic requirements) because the headphones are using the same amount of power at any given SPL level regardless of the amp. (And I didn't come close to pushing the limits of the Mojo with the HD 800, even at very loud levels.)

This post sums it up beautifully: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hd800-being-picky-with-amps-myth.724199/page-2#post-10660374

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #9 of 11
Actually, it would be the same amount, since you said amp both times. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I don't think so. Driving my own HD 800 from a Chord Mojo (which can only output up to 70 mW at 300 ohms...and the HD 800's impedance fluctuates, going up to 600 ohms at some frequencies) and someone else's HD 800 from the balanced output of powerful solid state amps costing thousands made next to no difference in the sound signature of the headphones.

I think it's just that people too often confuse the sound signature of electronics with output power, the latter of which hardly matters (beyond the basic requirements) because the headphones are using the same amount of power at any given SPL level regardless of the amp. (And I didn't come close to pushing the limits of the Mojo with the HD 800, even at very loud levels.)

This post sums it up beautifully: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hd800-being-picky-with-amps-myth.724199/page-2#post-10660374
Hmm interesting! At least for me, I notice a tighter and more even sound when running my lcd2 and hd650 from my Jotunheim than through my Magni 2. I'm deliberately leaving out the increase in channel separation because I'm sure that has instead to do with the Balanced nature of the amp when using the XLR out. The 800 also sounded better from the Jot than the Mojo to me. Maybe my ears are just weird

Sep 27, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #10 of 11
Hmm interesting! At least for me, I notice a tighter and more even sound when running my lcd2 and hd650 from my Jotunheim than through my Magni 2. I'm deliberately leaving out the increase in channel separation because I'm sure that has instead to do with the Balanced nature of the amp when using the XLR out. The 800 also sounded better from the Jot than the Mojo to me. Maybe my ears are just weird

I'm not saying that there won't be a difference; just that it's not caused by sheer power. I'm sure the Jotunheim has more advanced design than the Magni (actually, Schiit themselves said it's more advanced than even the Ragnarok in some ways), and something about that design could contribute to the difference in sound.

Sep 27, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #11 of 11
I'm not saying that there won't be a difference; just that it's not caused by sheer power. I'm sure the Jotunheim has more advanced design than the Magni (actually, Schiit themselves said it's more advanced than even the Ragnarok in some ways), and something about that design could contribute to the difference in sound.
Good point! I always thought the sound difference was attributed to power. Look at me learning :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back