New Audiolab DAC
Dec 11, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #842 of 878
Yeah you could try that, maybe even stretch your budget to a LYR or Corda Classic.

But before you do that, try the different Firmware. 

the most current, A.10 seems warmer to my ears with my T90s' than the original .90 firmware. 

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #843 of 878
Yeah you could try that, maybe even stretch your budget to a LYR or Corda Classic.

But before you do that, try the different Firmware. 

the most current, A.10 seems warmer to my ears with my T90s' than the original .90 firmware. 

Yeap i updated the firmware to A.10

I also at the same time bought a QDAC and a MPWR!!!!

I must be feeling rich hahaha. I bought the QDAC and MPWR for my mum who has a polk audio tower speakers.

Now I will compare the mdac and the qdac and see how they sound hehe.

I really think i am blowing my budget wtih MDAC, QDAC and MPWR all within the month 0_0....

now... should i get a mstage hpa2.. i am very very very very tempted....

Jan 1, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #844 of 878
i finally got the hpa2 now waitign for it to be delievered :D

Just wondering if anyone could help me with switching outputs??

I have the mdac hooked up to a set a of active speakers through the RCA out and in the front i am connecting it through my headphones.

Is there anyway of switching the output from the headphones to the speakers without disconnecting the headphones from the mdac?

Thank you

Jan 1, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #845 of 878
  i finally got the hpa2 now waiting for it to be delievered :D

Just wondering if anyone could help me with switching outputs??

I have the mdac hooked up to a set a of active speakers through the RCA out and in the front i am connecting it through my headphones.

Is there anyway of switching the output from the headphones to the speakers without disconnecting the headphones from the mdac?

Thank you

If the HPA2 is anything like my Matrix M Stage then you can use the line out jacks on the HPA2 to drive your active speakers.
I assume your Active Speakers do not have balanced inputs? 
But I don't think the Matrix HPA2 allows you to switch the headphone output ON and OFF.

Jan 2, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #846 of 878
Hi Chris

Do you think mdac allows me to switch it off without having to disconnect the headphone from the headphone out in the front? Because I have to switch from my headphone to speakers by disconnecting the headphones. would be good if someone knows I can switch it to rca output without unplug of the headphones

Yes the speakers I have does not have balanced out unfortunately

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #847 of 878
Hi Chris

Do you think mdac allows me to switch it off without having to disconnect the headphone from the headphone out in the front? Because I have to switch from my headphone to speakers by disconnecting the headphones. would be good if someone knows I can switch it to rca output without unplug of the headphones

Yes the speakers I have does not have balanced out unfortunately

Hi,
I'm sure you can plug and unplug headphones from the M-DAC without turning the M-DAC off.
I think that answers your question?

Jan 2, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #848 of 878
AFAIK, no problem leaving the headphones in when turning it off, or plugging them in or out when turned on though you should turn down the volume (I have done that many times comparing headphones)

As far as the second part of your question goes, I think unfortunately not possible since IIRC the amplification section is used for both outputs, and thus its power is routed through -physical- switching either to the headphone out (when plugged in) or to the RCA connectors (when unplugged), i.e. the M-DAC being turned off or on won't change that behaviour.

Not sure about the XLR out, but there are adapters. Just be aware that the XLR output is considerably higher than RCA, and MAY introduce distortion on some equipment, esp. at higher volume.

Jan 2, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #849 of 878
AFAIK, no problem leaving the headphones in when turning it off, or plugging them in or out when turned on though you should turn down the volume (I have done that many times comparing headphones)

As far as the second part of your question goes, I think unfortunately not possible since IIRC the amplification section is used for both outputs, and thus its power is routed through -physical- switching either to the headphone out (when plugged in) or to the RCA connectors (when unplugged), i.e. the M-DAC being turned off or on won't change that behaviour.

Not sure about the XLR out, but there are adapters. Just be aware that the XLR output is considerably higher than RCA, and MAY introduce distortion on some equipment, esp. at higher volume.

Generally speaking:
The output from the XLR jack is only higher when you use both Inverting and Non-Inverting outputs from the XLR jack.
In this case, the XLR will output twice as much voltage as the RCA jacks.

But since you may want to use an XLR to RCA adaptor, the adaptor will only be using the Non-Inverting siganl from the XLR to drive the Active speakers as your Active Speakers only have a Single Ened input (i.e. RCA).

Mar 6, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #850 of 878
Anyone got comments about this against dac like audio gd's 1.32 or the 1p or 17.32?

Also considering concero...
Got a opportunity to buy the m-dac at around $550, so considering it against other dacs at similar price range

May 17, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #852 of 878
I have this DAC for a month.
To my ears, it has excellent synergy with Senns HD700 (a replacement for Grado G1000, that I had for 7 years), I like it's internal headphone amp more than my aging Aqua HEAD head-amp.
According to M-DAC's designer on punkfishmedia forums:
http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=138432
it's possible to connect the cans via XLR outputs.
Thinking to try 'balanced' headphone sound, just for tinkering.
Somebody tried that here?

May 26, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #853 of 878
Not tried balanced, but I use my M-DAC 8 hours a day for various jobs and it is superb.
I am surprised it does not get more praise here.

Jun 13, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #854 of 878
Does the HE-500 pair well with the M-Dac or would you recommend an amp as well?

Jun 14, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #855 of 878
  Not tried balanced, but I use my M-DAC 8 hours a day for various jobs and it is superb.
I am surprised it does not get more praise here.

Yup... so under-praised, it's kind of odd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back