New Audiofly Range Coming at CES
Dec 31, 2012 at 5:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Swimsonny

Aka: thegardener & ScooterBilly
Undeclared Member of the Trade: Inearspace
writing positive reviews of products he was reselling.
A little while back i reviewed the Audiofly AF78. It was the first hybrid i tried and it did not quite manage a good enough crossover for me to rate or recommend it but it looked great and showed potential. Because of the 78 i looked forward to what they could do in the future and at CES next week they will be unveiling a new range which will have a hybrid in a similar set up as the 78 named the 120, a dual BA (140) and a triple BA (160). price seem quite high with the 160 being between $400 and $450 but it ticks most boxes with a detachable cable (with a spare perhaps, like UE900) and good range of accessories so we will have to see how it performs before any judgement can be made.

AF160

Here is a article about the new range:

http://www.cultofandroid.com/20745/audiofly-goes-all-in-with-handful-of-new-high-end-earphones-ces-2013/

Here is my AF78 review:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/611215/review-audiofly-af78-hybrid-iem-a-very-brave-proposition

Will update as it happens!

Dec 31, 2012 at 5:37 AM Post #4 of 42
For 400-450 bucks, which is more than most other triple BA IEMs they better sound good 
biggrin.gif

Dec 31, 2012 at 6:18 AM Post #5 of 42
Being an Australian company, I hope they wont be delusional about pricing, as we all know us Australian suffer from high prices almost at extortion level.

I honestly think that they cant price their triple-BA any higher than $350

Dec 31, 2012 at 7:03 AM Post #6 of 42
Well, if it performs as well as the UE900 then it would not be a big deal as they both include two cables an similar kit! Just because it has one less driver we should not say it can not perform as well as 4. That being said i think the UE900 should be cheaper but many do not. 

I just hope they are a lot better than the 78. Hopefully i will get to try them!

Dec 31, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #7 of 42
Swimsonny said:
Will update as it happens!

getting a sample or going to ces or waiting for pics and info?
sure hope their second try is better than af78, given 'how much we liked it'

Being an Australian company, I hope they wont be delusional about pricing, as we all know us Australian suffer from high prices almost at extortion level.
I honestly think that they cant price their triple-BA any higher than $350
:D

ps aww no new 2ba+dd

Dec 31, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #8 of 42
Quote:
getting a sample or going to ces or waiting for pics and info?
sure hope their second try is better than af78, given 'how much we liked it'
biggrin.gif

ps aww no new 2ba+dd

I hope to get a sample i guess but i more meant that i would wait for pics and info. I would love to go CES but i could not afford the flight etc/

I know, would have been nice but it looks like they are going with straight BA more so now!

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:37 AM Post #9 of 42
Quote:
Well, if it performs as well as the UE900 then it would not be a big deal as they both include two cables an similar kit! Just because it has one less driver we should not say it can not perform as well as 4. That being said i think the UE900 should be cheaper but many do not. 

I just hope they are a lot better than the 78. Hopefully i will get to try them!

Yep, but UE and Westone have got a good reputation, for a new company to produce 3BA IEM and sell @ $500, it would be quite a challenge to say the least

Jun 2, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #11 of 42
Has there been any word on these "Performance series" offerings? It has been crickets since CES.

Dec 5, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #13 of 42
Sent audiofly an email about the AF120, AF140, AF160 and rough release dates. It seems a new model, AF180, is incoming.

This was their response.

"We've had a huge year of development and refining our IEMs and we have added another model to the range - the AF180. We will be releasing the final 4 IEM models at CES and, as these are now in production they will be available to purchase from January/February 2014.

For more info, go to www.audiofly.com/builtformusic where we have put up some more details about our range."

Dec 6, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #15 of 42
My question, that I have asked others is...

If the usual purpose of a hybrid is to get something better(esp. in the bass qualities) than just armatures, why is their triple armature priced $100 over the triple hybrid. Something has to give. Either the triple is more expensive to make and not really worth the added $$$ or the triple hybrid is not that great. Tough competition for it with the AX60, DN2000, and Sony H3 out there and charging a $350 price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back