New Audio Technica ATH-M50x with Removable Cable
Feb 8, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #76 of 958
Kinda off topic here, but I think this is a good place to share because there seems to be many budding audiophiles on here.
redface.gif

So I brought a friend from work over to my place to try out my headphones. He has tried my portable KEF M500 at work before and compared it to the company supplied headphones he's using, some cheap $5 plastic Logitech headphones with mic. One of those that have two plugs, one for sound, one for mic. At the time, he said he couldn't hear the difference between my KEF and the Logitech. So last night, I had him over to try out my Sennheiser HD800. I had him bring along those Logitech for comparison as well. I had the Logitech running straight from my computer headphone port, and the HD800 running through my full setup (DC-1 DAC -> Quickie preamp -> Crack amp -> HD800). When he heard the same song through both, he told me that he couldn't really hear a difference!
eek.gif
Then I had him tell me a song he knows very well, and I downloaded a song that he listens to more than 10 times a day. This time around you could see on his face when listening through the HD800 he was noticing a difference. And did he ever notice a difference!
biggrin.gif
After the song he told me he never realized there were all these other instruments playing in the background, how he could hear the singer's breath in between lines, and how before the bass was just a nasty jarring sound before (due to distortions at high volumes), and now he could actually tell it's bass and it doesn't hurt his ears at all. He realized how much he's been missing out. You really have to listen to something you know well to hear these differences.

I had him try my Hifiman HE-500 next. By audiophile standards, these do not provide as much detail as the HD800, but the bass is more impactful because they are planar magnetics. Anyways, like I expected, he could not tell that it was worse in detailing compared to the HD800, but did feel the more visceral bass, and he actually liked the HE-500 better than the HD800. This was expected because while the difference between some cheap $5 headphones and a $150 headphone like the M50 is vast, diminishing marginal returns hit fast and hard, and for someone without trained ears, he could not hear a difference between $600 and $1500 headphones, so the HE-500 and HD800 sounded the same in terms of details, but he could feel planar bass because planar bass is like no other. I told him he should just get some headphones like the HD598 for $200 and he'll have 95%* of the HD800.

*This is 95% figure is adjusted to my friend's hearing ability and currently untrained ears. I'm sure if he had both to compare, he wouldn't be able to tell too much a difference, if at all. On the other hand, having more trained ears from this hobby, and having owned and recently heard the HD598, I personally would say the HD598 is like 40% of the HD800. You'll find your ears becoming spoiled as you listen to better sound and your old crappy headphones sound far worse than you remember them to.

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #77 of 958
EW, why are these designed soo badly. That stump is HUGE. And it only accepts their own connector. Mine looks so much better after a DIY Mod that didn't really take that much skill. Why is it so bulky and not versatile? 

Feb 9, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #79 of 958

That's one thing that I noticed. So, the cords provided are made by Audio Technica themselves? I looked around on Amazon for cables like that but I highly doubt they'll have them. You said you think that the proprietary is a 2.5mm? It also sucks that they got rid of the completely metal connectors from the standard M50.

I guess AT will make the cable for sell for a price. I'd expect like $15-$20

I'm going to keep my moded m50 and just get the new pads.

Feb 9, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #80 of 958
I realize no one really has the answer, but I'm desperate enough to ask if anyone has any thoughts on the likelihood of the M50x eventually dropping in price to current M50 levels. I purchased the M50 about a month ago for a price of $101, and the return window ends on February 12th (it's from Amazon, so I'm not sure whether that means I have to ship it so that they receive it by the 12th). At the current price of $169, the M50x definitely isn't worth the $68 premium for me. But if the M50x ever drops to within $20 to $30 of what I paid for my M50, I'm definitely going to regret having gotten the M50. Wait time really isn't a big deal for me since I have more than enough other headphones anyway. I'd imagine the M50x will stay above the $150-ish level for the next few years, but I'd just like to see if anyone experienced with tracking ATH prices has any insights on this.

Feb 9, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #81 of 958
  I realize no one really has the answer, but I'm desperate enough to ask if anyone has any thoughts on the likelihood of the M50x eventually dropping in price to current M50 levels. I purchased the M50 about a month ago for a price of $101, and the return window ends on February 12th (it's from Amazon, so I'm not sure whether that means I have to ship it so that they receive it by the 12th). At the current price of $169, the M50x definitely isn't worth the $68 premium for me. But if the M50x ever drops to within $20 to $30 of what I paid for my M50, I'm definitely going to regret having gotten the M50. Wait time really isn't a big deal for me since I have more than enough other headphones anyway. I'd imagine the M50x will stay above the $150-ish level for the next few years, but I'd just like to see if anyone experienced with tracking ATH prices has any insights on this.

Unless the price goes up after pre-orders/official release date I would expect it to go on sale at some point for a decent price.  Though it may not be until around the holidays(that seems to be the one point where I notice the M50's for around $50 off).

Feb 9, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #82 of 958

take this suggestion with a grain of salt

but from what i see on amazon (i check a bit too often) the m50s hover pretty steadily around 150-170 a lot of the time. its the first time i seen the m50s drop to the 100$ range and thats only because the m50x are right around the corner (or as of right now, already out).

personally i think i would rather get the new m50x its a revamped look, detachable cable (which is huge plus) since the old m50s has a very very long cable, and tying it up increases the weight of the cable as it swings around. (pulling on one side more (Left side specifically)) 

plus the coiled cable does the same (in terms of pulling the side more cause of the weight)

and that fixed cable thing is a problem if it does break down the road.

i have no idea if the earpads are diff, but its advertised as different and "better" 

plus the headband is slimmer too make it less bulky for on the go use.

my head isn't big about avg but i don't want my headphones to make my head look like a melon personally.

it is your money but imo i think the above conveniences is okay for  a 60$ premium (Plus the they give 3 cables, so you can make the cable the same length as its predecessors, plus it has a locking mechanism) which i don't really find a plus but some people do

Feb 9, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #83 of 958
http://camelcamelcamel.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/product/B000ULAP4U?context=browse

Feb 9, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #84 of 958
http://camelcamelcamel.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/product/B000ULAP4U?context=browse

Wow, how have I never heard of this website before? I shudder at the number of hours I'm going to be spending on this site...

I bought the M50RD:

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Audio-Technica-ATHM50RD-Pro-Headphones/product/B00B0FR2QO

I literally bought it at its lowest price in a year (January 10, 2014).

Actually, I've kept a bunch of headphones (and a gazillion other items) in my "Save for Later" list, so when I check it I can see any price changes (though it doesn't notify me like that Camel website). I remember on the morning of January 10th I just happened to check it and see that the M50RD dropped $67 overnight; needless to say I frantically ordered it before it could go back up. Now that I can graphically see how rarely it drops to the price I bought it at, I'm a little more hesitant to send it back. I suppose the worst case scenario is that if the M50x ever drops down to a price I'd like to buy it at, I could just sell my M50, probably at a price than what I paid for it (assuming the M50 price doesn't tank after the M50x hits the market).

I wonder if there's a way to isolate the price for the M50S on the Camel website, because it's grouped with the coiled version on Amazon and I can swear I remember seeing it momentarily sink to the $90 range a few months ago, if only for a few hours.

Edit:

Ah, figured out how to isolate the M50S:

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50S-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/product/B004ZG9TMA

It hit $85.12 last December! That's an incredible price for the M50 new from Amazon.

Feb 9, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #85 of 958

Wow, how have I never heard of this website before? I shudder at the number of hours I'm going to be spending on this site...

I bought the M50RD:

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Audio-Technica-ATHM50RD-Pro-Headphones/product/B00B0FR2QO

I literally bought it at its lowest price in a year (January 10, 2014).

Actually, I've kept a bunch of headphones (and a gazillion other items) in my "Save for Later" list, so when I check it I can see any price changes (though it doesn't notify me like that Camel website). I remember on the morning of January 10th I just happened to check it and see that the M50RD dropped $67 overnight; needless to say I frantically ordered it before it could go back up. Now that I can graphically see how rarely it drops to the price I bought it at, I'm a little more hesitant to send it back. I suppose the worst case scenario is that if the M50x ever drops down to a price I'd like to buy it at, I could just sell my M50, probably at a price than what I paid for it (assuming the M50 price doesn't tank after the M50x hits the market).

I wonder if there's a way to isolate the price for the M50S on the Camel website, because it's grouped with the coiled version on Amazon and I can swear I remember seeing it momentarily sink to the $90 range a few months ago, if only for a few hours.

Camel doesn't capture lightning deals or deals that sell out really quickly. For example, I got in on the $890 HD800 deal that lasted less than an hour before it all sold out, and it was sold by Amazon directly. As you can see it hasn't ever dropped below $1200 even for third party new: http://camelcamelcamel.com/Sennheiser-HD800-Over-Ear-Circum-Aural-Headphone/product/B001OTZ8DA?context=browse

I wouldn't rely on camel notification for ridiculous deals like the HD800 deal. This below is the best way to get deals for audio related gear and where I found out about the HD800 deal, but don't look unless you're ready to end up spending more than you planned. I am not responsible for broken marriages or financial mishaps.
wink.gif
But this below and Camel x3 are basic resources for seasoned head-fiers.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/692119/the-deals-discussion-thread-read-the-first-post

Feb 9, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #86 of 958
  Camel doesn't capture lightning deals or deals that sell out really quickly. For example, I got in on the $890 HD800 deal that lasted less than an hour before it all sold out, and it was sold by Amazon directly. As you can see it hasn't ever dropped below $1200 even for third party new: http://camelcamelcamel.com/Sennheiser-HD800-Over-Ear-Circum-Aural-Headphone/product/B001OTZ8DA?context=browse

I wouldn't rely on camel notification for ridiculous deals like the HD800 deal. This below is the best way to get deals for audio related gear and where I found out about the HD800 deal, but don't look unless you're ready to end up spending more than you planned. I am not responsible for broken marriages or financial mishaps.
wink.gif
But this below and Camel x3 are basic resources for seasoned head-fiers.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/692119/the-deals-discussion-thread-read-the-first-post

Wow, 192 pages in 2.5 months? Between that and the $6,2996 wallet, I think I'm going to have to pretend I never saw that link.
smile.gif

Feb 11, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #87 of 958
I pre ordered blue one on Amazon Feb 6th! When I saw a tweet by MKBHD and luckily I m in 30 day window for M50 from Amazon. Got Blue one for $160. But shipping says March 4th. The wait time is killing me but until then I have Jaybird Bluebuds X!

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #88 of 958
Well, I am sorry to say that everything did not go well for me on my recent trip.  My ears must be out of spec (size wise) because these hurt my ears after 30-45 minutes.  The first 15 minutes or so, I am super comfortable, but then it becomes unbearable.  On the flight to Houston, I had to take them off and go with a back up pair of ear buds :frowning2:  I tried various positions to try to find a sweet spot, but nothing helped.  It is with a heavy heart that I am returning them to Amazon today :frowning2:  My quest will continue though...

On my way back from Houston I stopped in quite a few airport stores and tried on a bunch of higher end over the ear headphones.  None of them fit well enough for me to try them longer.  I think over the ear phones just are not for my ears.  I did try on some "Klipsch Image ONE - Gen -2 On-Ear Headphones" that felt like they have some promise (the airport store wanted $149.99 for them, Amazon has them for $70.00 so I was not going to impulse buy them at the airport).  I might start looking into on-ear headphones and see if I can find some comfortable ones.

Feb 13, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #89 of 958
  Well, I am sorry to say that everything did not go well for me on my recent trip.  My ears must be out of spec (size wise) because these hurt my ears after 30-45 minutes.  The first 15 minutes or so, I am super comfortable, but then it becomes unbearable.  On the flight to Houston, I had to take them off and go with a back up pair of ear buds :frowning2:  I tried various positions to try to find a sweet spot, but nothing helped.  It is with a heavy heart that I am returning them to Amazon today :frowning2:  My quest will continue though...

On my way back from Houston I stopped in quite a few airport stores and tried on a bunch of higher end over the ear headphones.  None of them fit well enough for me to try them longer.  I think over the ear phones just are not for my ears.  I did try on some "Klipsch Image ONE - Gen -2 On-Ear Headphones" that felt like they have some promise (the airport store wanted $149.99 for them, Amazon has them for $70.00 so I was not going to impulse buy them at the airport).  I might start looking into on-ear headphones and see if I can find some comfortable ones.

If it's clamping pressure you should know at least with the original M50's that they do need to be stretched before they're comfortable(when you're able to set them down and the pads aren't forced to press flat against each other then they are good).  If it's that they don't fit around your ear then, sorry to hear that.  I experience that a little with my M50's but it's really around the lobe and barely, so it's not an issue for me...though I did notice they don't offer a lot of padding, so ears that stick out more might be a problem too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back