New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Feb 25, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #6,511 of 11,259
So I am testing my new DI20. I have trouble getting DSD into my R7, It is forced to PCM, even via HDMI. Not sure if it is my R 7 or DI20 issue? I can do native DSD when directly connecting the USB to R7.
Strange .....
I assume that it played directly before DI-20 arrived. If so, wait for suggestions from DI-20 owners.

Feb 25, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #6,512 of 11,259
So I am testing my new DI20. I have trouble getting DSD into my R7, It is forced to PCM, even via HDMI. Not sure if it is my R 7 or DI20 issue? I can do native DSD when directly connecting the USB to R7.
Strange .....
Have you checked that your i2s output format is set to to "n" "1"? See the user manual.

Feb 25, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #6,513 of 11,259
If you like a fast cable, guys, the Nimak acss has only 26pF per meter, with the connectors! This means awesome dynamics, especially micro-dynamics. I expect it to be amazingly transparent and balanced. Looking forward to it!

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #6,514 of 11,259
Thanks for sharing. Are Nimak cables are only available on EBAY? Can't seem to find them elsewhere. Can anyone suggest a good I2S cable to connect the D-20 to the R8 (which are on their way to me, yay!) -- this will connect by ACSS into a Master 19). Kingwa eluded that he uses a WiredWorld Chroma. I use AQ Coffee for USB and was wondering if the AQ Coffee HDMI would be plausible for I2S seeing the Chroma is a standard HDMI. Any guidance would be appreciated...thanks!

Feb 25, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #6,515 of 11,259
Thanks for sharing. Are Nimak cables are only available on EBAY? Can't seem to find them elsewhere. Can anyone suggest a good I2S cable to connect the D-20 to the R8 (which are on their way to me, yay!) -- this will connect by ACSS into a Master 19). Kingwa eluded that he uses a WiredWorld Chroma. I use AQ Coffee for USB and was wondering if the AQ Coffee HDMI would be plausible for I2S seeing the Chroma is a standard HDMI. Any guidance would be appreciated...thanks!
Nimak is only ebay. No one heard the cable yet on this forum, but the way it is built, it should be something. Many of us use the BJC Belden Series fe as hdmi. I use a 0.3m. It can compete with much more expensive cables. Cost around 15$ on amazon. Give it a try.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #6,518 of 11,259
Nimak ia now offering two versions of ACSS cable. I see a less costly version this morning. Just search "Nimak ACSS" on eBay. Custom lengths are available just by asking the seller. A shorter cable may sell for less money if you don't need full meter length.

Nimak also sells silver wire if you DIY ACSS cables. I recently built ACSS cables with solid 18 ga. silver bought from Nimak. The Nimak seller says his Litz cables are superior because of the soft silver wire stock he uses for the Litz conductors. And what I spent on DIY could have almost paid for the least costly cable.

The $398 cable is 18 ga. silver Litz 1 meter. 10 strands of 26 ga. wire per conductor
The newer $248 cable is 21 ga. silver Litz 1 meter. 6 strands of wire per conductor.

Feb 26, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #6,519 of 11,259
And hearing the 2021 DACs may take upwards to 1,000 hours of run time to fully blossom. Sound a little rough first few weeks and then gradually smooth out. Can anyone comment on break-in experience?

Feb 26, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #6,520 of 11,259
Strange .....
The DI converts DSD to PCM? I am not sure what Kingwa is loading for DI firmware from the factory but some version of DoP I would suspect. Your DAC firmware may need a check as well for compatibility.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #6,522 of 11,259
After spending about 1k on HQ Player and a silent Ryzen 4700 to oversample for many months, I am now back to listening on NOS.

OS provided better clarity and soundstage. It isn't money wasted because it made me realise NOS simply sounds more natural on the R7HE, better dynamics, more realistic body, and better balance making it closer to being live.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #6,523 of 11,259
After spending about 1k on HQ Player and a silent Ryzen 4700 to oversample for many months, I am now back to listening on NOS.

OS provided better clarity and soundstage. It isn't money wasted because it made me realise NOS simply sounds more natural on the R7HE, better dynamics, more realistic body, and better balance making it closer to being live.
It sounds very well indeed. I don't know which i prefer.

Feb 26, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #6,525 of 11,259
It sounds very well indeed. I don't know which i prefer.
I originally thought OS was better, but going deep on the OS path revealed it was too soft and laid back, but there are those that might prefer it depending on synergy with the rest of their gear.

Remember that comparison I did with the Terminator? Both DACs were on OS because the Terminator (IMO) sounds better oversampled. If it was on equal footing back then, I think the R7HE will actually be significantly more enjoyable on NOS.

I haven't treid NOS mode yet on my r27. Do you prefer it with tda1543 emulation or not?

Not sure, I currently have it switched off. I haven't listened to TDA emulation long enough to form an opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

• PLGA
Back