New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Nov 8, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #6,136 of 11,196
i bought NuPrime CDT-8 Pro (cd player) with i2s output that work with PS audio Dac's and it didnt work with my R7, shame on audio gd for the misinformation,

is there any switch/dip box that can fix that ?
On the latest DI-20 a standard configuration is compatible with PS-Audio. According to the table linked above R7 standard configuration is not exactly the same. SW-6 and SW-8 should be on and also for DSD playback SW2 on. Did you try other switch positions?

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #6,137 of 11,196
i bought NuPrime CDT-8 Pro (cd player) with i2s output that work with PS audio Dac's and it didnt work with my R7, shame on audio gd for the misinformation,

is there any switch/dip box that can fix that ?
Seems like the CT8-Pro is indeed "PS Audio standard" like Audio-GD is. No sound at all?
Do you own another I2S source you can test the Audio-GD R7 input with?

Nov 8, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #6,138 of 11,196
On the latest DI-20 a standard configuration is compatible with PS-Audio. According to the table linked above R7 standard configuration is not exactly the same. SW-6 and SW-8 should be on and also for DSD playback SW2 on. Did you try other switch positions?
there is no switch i can try ,, it is fixed

Nov 8, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #6,139 of 11,196
Seems like the CT8-Pro is indeed "PS Audio standard" like Audio-GD is. No sound at all?
Do you own another I2S source you can test the Audio-GD R7 input with?
there is loud noise and distortion ,,
i have the hiFace Evo Two and the i2s output work but it need reset every time is started,
for now my best source it the CDT-8 Pro COAX output . very clean sounding

Nov 8, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #6,140 of 11,196
there is no switch i can try ,, it is fixed
I am sorry, this table I refered to is for a different device, not R7. The table actually help understanding why it doesn't work. Setting for PS Audio is different than for R7, so conclusion is that R7 I2S is not really PS Audio compatible. You need to write Email as ask for clarification giving as example this table.

Some of differences can be fixed in firmware. I see there are two versions for model 2018: Syn and Asyn. Syn version depends on master clock signal to operate properly. Asyn version ignore master clock, it will work with more devices.

Nov 10, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #6,141 of 11,196
Hi,
I finally upgraded from my R7 (former Ref7.1 rebuilt to a Master 7, rebuilt to a Master 7 Singularity, rebuilt to a R2R-7, rebuilt to a R7 w V2 DA-boards) to a R7HE with the 10MHz Masterclock input. I have had the masterclock in my thoughts and in my rig quite a while now but I have lacked the possibility to use it in my dac's until now... It arrived yesterday and I have connected it in the rig, replacing the R7, started it up, connected to my 10MHz clock (Mutec Ref10 SE120) ..and WOW! The regenerated power together with the Masterclock "conducted" simultaneous bit-behavior inside the chassi really makes this dac and the rig climbing a major step up to the highest levels possible, I think. The sound is "ultra defined" with the music easy flowing out from the dark. It is engaging, embracing and so true with the authority where it should be. Also the low frequencies are better defined. It is strange that so much more and detailed information can be revealed from the music material by adding this R7HE-dac. This feels like an end game for me. But we never know what's Kingwa's next surprise is for us. Well, for now I am very very pleased with what I have.

I will now sell my R7 after many hours of providing me with nice music. It has been a learning process along Kingwa's side in the steps to these "higher grounds". I have no problems to perform these upgrades as You may have spotted by now. The latest two or three years, I think that Kingwa has made a huge progress in knowledge and design and by adding the Masterclock function, I think it is a dealbreaker. For me it is, and the time is/was right for me to jump on and do the upgrade. I want this workday to pass fast so I can go home and continue to listen and explore what's hidden in my stashes of music material I thought I knew... What I meant is that this dac reveals so much more information from the same material..

Again, Thank You Kingwa for providing us these excellent gears!
/Jan

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #6,142 of 11,196
It has been a learning process along Kingwa's side in the steps to these "higher grounds". I have no problems to perform these upgrades as You may have spotted by now. The latest two or three years, I think that Kingwa has made a huge progress in knowledge and design and by adding the Masterclock function, I think it is a dealbreaker.
It is true, Kingwa is continuously improving product line. For us, poor guys there is another option - add DI-20. Priced well and can upgrade USB connection quality of your current Audio GD DAC. With DI-20 USB source is synchronised with an internal clock instead of usual reclocking. DI-20 clock is passed to a DAC through I2S link. Similar result to the world clock, but you have additionally regenerative PSU, which makes it TOTL.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #6,143 of 11,196
It is true, Kingwa is continuously improving product line. For us, poor guys there is another option - add DI-20. Priced well and can upgrade USB connection quality of your current Audio GD DAC. With DI-20 USB source is synchronised with an internal clock instead of usual reclocking. DI-20 clock s passed to a DAC through I2S link. Similar result to the world clock, but you have additionally regenerative PSU, which makes it TOTL.
Yes, I use the DI20HE I2S in also fed by the same master clock. Music is important for me and I have been building up this rig to what it is today, for many years.
The DI20 is definately a good way to lift the performance and more so with a good master clock.

Nov 13, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #6,144 of 11,196
Hi,
I finally upgraded from my R7 (former Ref7.1 rebuilt to a Master 7, rebuilt to a Master 7 Singularity, rebuilt to a R2R-7, rebuilt to a R7 w V2 DA-boards) to a R7HE with the 10MHz Masterclock input. I have had the masterclock in my thoughts and in my rig quite a while now but I have lacked the possibility to use it in my dac's until now... It arrived yesterday and I have connected it in the rig, replacing the R7, started it up, connected to my 10MHz clock (Mutec Ref10 SE120) ..and WOW! The regenerated power together with the Masterclock "conducted" simultaneous bit-behavior inside the chassi really makes this dac and the rig climbing a major step up to the highest levels possible, I think. The sound is "ultra defined" with the music easy flowing out from the dark. It is engaging, embracing and so true with the authority where it should be. Also the low frequencies are better defined. It is strange that so much more and detailed information can be revealed from the music material by adding this R7HE-dac. This feels like an end game for me. But we never know what's Kingwa's next surprise is for us. Well, for now I am very very pleased with what I have.

I will now sell my R7 after many hours of providing me with nice music. It has been a learning process along Kingwa's side in the steps to these "higher grounds". I have no problems to perform these upgrades as You may have spotted by now. The latest two or three years, I think that Kingwa has made a huge progress in knowledge and design and by adding the Masterclock function, I think it is a dealbreaker. For me it is, and the time is/was right for me to jump on and do the upgrade. I want this workday to pass fast so I can go home and continue to listen and explore what's hidden in my stashes of music material I thought I knew... What I meant is that this dac reveals so much more information from the same material..

Again, Thank You Kingwa for providing us these excellent gears!
/Jan

1) When you upgraded/rebuilt your DAC, did you send it back to Kingwa each time to have it done?
2) Would you say adding the external Masterclock made a greater improvement than upgrading the DACs in your journey?

Great impressions by the way. Thanks for sharing.

Nov 13, 2020 at 3:52 AM Post #6,145 of 11,196
1) When you upgraded/rebuilt your DAC, did you send it back to Kingwa each time to have it done?
2) Would you say adding the external Masterclock made a greater improvement than upgrading the DACs in your journey?

Great impressions by the way. Thanks for sharing.
Hi,
1. No, I have performed all upgrading/rebuilding on my own and by myself. I have been building gears for most of my adult life so it is not a big deal for me to do this work.
2. It's impossible to answer this question in one sentence. The upgrading journey has taking relevant steps to higher performance every time. The latest are the refined circuits from Kingwa after his continuous expanding knowledge during all his projects through the years. Kingwa started to design with the regenerating power supply (HE-1, HE9, R7HE, R8HE mm). A big step. By adding the better internal XO's (Accusilicon 318's) as internal XO's was another step to higher performance. At the same time Kingwa announced the introduced the DI20 & DI20HE and both versions was equipped with the external clock (10 MHz Masterclock) input. This was a wake up call for some of us and it was one more step with achieved refinement on the bitstreams timing. This external clock input mustn't have a super expensive oscillator connected. There are good ext XO's out there for decent money, just be sure to pick a good and silent power supply for it, and You will be rewarded with a lower amount of jitter. So to sum it up.. This has been a journey.. A very educational one for many of us. Each step of the way has been leading to higher grounds. And for me, I think I am fine now.
/Jan

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #6,146 of 11,196
Any R27 owners try the DAC mode where the rca/xlr ports output fixed 2.5/5VRMS like a normal dac? I tried this but I'm not getting any output.. tried it connected to an integrated amp and to a preamp connected to monoblocks.. anyone in this giant thread report this issue? for dac mode I just go into the settings menu 2nd page and change P to D right?

Nov 18, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #6,147 of 11,196
Hi guys.
I am using R7 and having issue with DSD driver in foobar2000.
After installed Amanero 384 driver, i can play music using Default setting. When switched to ASIO or DSD setting in foobar2000 and hit Play, foobar says Driver initialized failed.
Is that a problem with the driver or woth foobar?
Please help to shed some light for me.

Nov 18, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #6,148 of 11,196
After installed Amanero 384 driver, i can play music using Default setting. When switched to ASIO or DSD setting in foobar2000 and hit Play, foobar says Driver initialized failed.
Is that a problem with the driver or woth foobar?
Wrong setings in Foobar most likely. Quick check Preferences -> Playback -> Output whether the Output Format is set to 24-bit. It is required for DSD PoP transfer. The same for WASAPI output. Amanero also accept 32-bits.

Here is an excellent guide (follow part 1, then part 2): https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/digital/pc-software/foobar-2000-for-dummies/

Nov 18, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #6,149 of 11,196
@sajunky - Thanks for the guide. I have tried to follow but no luck.
I have tried with Audirvana but when selecting ASIO as output for the Amanero Combo 384 driver, Audirvana says "Device not connected". Only plays when switched to WASAPI, and can play DSD smoothly.
I think there is an issue with the driver. At least with the ASIO part.
I have tried current driver downloaded from official website as well as from Audio-GD web site. Both has no luck with ASIO settings.
Are there any other work around for this case?

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #6,150 of 11,196
Any R27 owners try the DAC mode where the rca/xlr ports output fixed 2.5/5VRMS like a normal dac? I tried this but I'm not getting any output.. tried it connected to an integrated amp and to a preamp connected to monoblocks.. anyone in this giant thread report this issue? for dac mode I just go into the settings menu 2nd page and change P to D right?
According to the manual, it should work. Maybe try a power cycle. Then contact Kingwa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back