New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jan 23, 2020 at 1:12 AM Post #5,821 of 11,233
I still much prefer NOS mode. I think it is still most natural and organic but it is very much affected by the source. If source is poor or the AC noise is prominent the SQ gets pretty bad. It has no digital filter as far as I understand. Sometimes I do OS X 0 which is NOS with digital filter. It gives a cleaner smoother sound but not as thinned out or artificial as OS x4-8. I think the OS may give a more solid layering of instruments and position of instruments but it does lose some of the presence and life-like quality of NOS. OS feels more like listening in a recording studio with good microphone placement. NOS feels like you are in a concerto hall listening, less perfect but more real. OS may be better for poorer recordings or when your AC mains is having a dirty day.

Very much agreed..... I have had my R7-HE for around two weeks and I am experimenting a lot with NOS VS. OS. I have also used Audrivanas OS and it's weird; at first my ear likes the cleaner sound, but after a while I switch back to NOS because I find that OS whether from the computer or from the DAC damages the bass frequencies and stresses the treble frequencies; and something sounds "not real" or "not correct" about that;- although it may take some time until my ear figures it out. If OS could improve transparency without brightening up the sound- I would be pleased, but OS in all forms to my ears changes the tonality in favour of upper frequencies and at the cost of lower frequencies and that seems unnatural. I believe that the way to increase transparency and detail is to use more transparent cables, IC's, etc. and to have purer power and better clocking. Trying to accomplish this goal by using OS works but at the cost of damaging purity.

I feel similar (although not as extreme) feelings about silver IC's as I do about OS. They increase transparency over 95% of copper cables by stressing the treble frequencies which short term sounds great but long term- my ears detect something is wrong. A few top of the line copper cables (very few) can provide equal transparency and better detail than silver IC's without brightening things up although they will never sound as open because it is specifically the extended treble that opens things up.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 3:27 AM Post #5,822 of 11,233
theoretically, there are some advantages in higher OSx - i.e. lower order filter and move up -> better phase linearity...i am not sure, how aliasing and digital filters are implemented in our agd dacs. And the analog (6dB) filtering in NOS might be "noisy" above 20K, has less S/N Ratio, worse thd...and there are discussions about upsampling need.
I was a hard OS creditor.
But: The NOS mode with DOP FW gives imho the best image and the sharpest edges around the instruments.the strongest midrange, with weeker bass in my chain...and i do not upsample redbook. I have tested back and forth, NOS sounds best for me...subjektive? YES!

Jan 24, 2020 at 3:34 AM Post #5,823 of 11,233
theoretically, there are some advantages in higher OSx - i.e. lower order filter and move up -> better phase linearity...i am not sure, how aliasing and digital filters are implemented in our agd dacs. And the analog (6dB) filtering in NOS might be "noisy" above 20K, has less S/N Ratio, worse thd...and there are discussions about upsampling need.
I was a hard OS creditor.
But: The NOS mode with DOP FW gives imho the best image and the sharpest edges around the instruments.the strongest midrange, with weeker bass in my chain...and i do not upsample redbook. I have tested back and forth, NOS sounds best for me...subjektive? YES!

What is DOP FW?

Jan 25, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #5,832 of 11,233
Kingwa says the R8HE sounds twice as good (200%) as the regular R7. Never heard the R8HE but would like to have the pleasure. The R8 employs the same discrete resistor DAC modules as the R7. Similar power supply arrangement.

The R8(HE) has a mini-USB port on the back of the chassis for firmware upgrade. Easy front panel adjustment of DSP settings (OS, NOS, etc.). Don't forget adding a DI20HE to the bundle for maximum sound potential. You can get it all with 11% discount bundle pricing during the New Year sale. Hurry!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back