New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Oct 20, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #5,281 of 11,233
Perhaps a Smooth version of “dop” firmware is needed. Or maybe the Accurate filter models are too aggressive for the latest R7 hardware changes. I find even dsdclk is tad hot on the highs and could use some more midrange but it is clean sounding and images so well. OS8 never sounded better. NOS and DSD as well. “dsdclk” is near perfection on the warmer M7S (balanced).

What has me scratching my head is Kingwa supposedly made no changes to PCM firmware code between dsdclk vs dop... Yet most everyone that have compared the two versions hear a very small difference.

We never have to wait long to try something new. Use what you like best until the next firmware comes along!

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 11:30 PM Post #5,283 of 11,233
Kingwa said the Optical IN3 HDMI IN4 version will come out later, he has to work on it for a while. Few of you have this version.

This may be a rather absurd observation I want to say, but it appears after the power outage, my system is quite. a step back. The sound seems more degraded/harsher again. Now it could be my DAC needing to warm up again or I am also burning in my USB cable (which is newish) or just R7getting cranky with the burning in, but could it be the power grid that has been repaired require some burning in? A tree fell onto the cable line so perhaps cables are replaced by new ones.

Oct 21, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #5,284 of 11,233
Kingwa said the Optical IN3 HDMI IN4 version will come out later, he has to work on it for a while. Few of you have this version.

This may be a rather absurd observation I want to say, but it appears after the power outage, my system is quite. a step back. The sound seems more degraded/harsher again. Now it could be my DAC needing to warm up again or I am also burning in my USB cable (which is newish) or just R7getting cranky with the burning in, but could it be the power grid that has been repaired require some burning in? A tree fell onto the cable line so perhaps cables are replaced by new ones.
Could be all these reasons, give it some time.

Oct 21, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #5,285 of 11,233
If i want to draw the whole picture on how the new fws sound, and the latest, I have to say that last time I tried, the on-board Amanero sounded quite different from the U16. The u16 has its own very particular signature.So does the singxer f-1. I assume the new DI will be a perfect match for the audio-gd dacs.

Oct 21, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #5,286 of 11,233
First hours of DOP fw listening...sounding really, really open and engaging so far in NOS mode. Loving it.

Oct 21, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #5,287 of 11,233
Hello guys,
One question NOT regarding firmware.

How is your experience with the R7/R8 DACs and power cords? Are they very sensitive to changes in power cords?

I have a dedicated AC line for the system, one DC Blocker and one AC filter feeding my R8 and I was wondering if I should upgrade my R8 power cable. Today I have the DH Labs AC Power Plus all over my system, wich is pretty decent, but I upgraded to DH Labs Red Wave (on my Class D power amp) and it sounded noticeably better.

What is your experience? Wich power cables have you tried on them?

Oct 21, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #5,288 of 11,233
Hello guys,
One question NOT regarding firmware.

How is your experience with the R7/R8 DACs and power cords? Are they very sensitive to changes in power cords?

I have a dedicated AC line for the system, one DC Blocker and one AC filter feeding my R8 and I was wondering if I should upgrade my R8 power cable. Today I have the DH Labs AC Power Plus all over my system, wich is pretty decent, but I upgraded to DH Labs Red Wave (on my Class D power amp) and it sounded noticeably better.

Bigger is better. Gold-plated plugs are less bright.

Oct 21, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #5,289 of 11,233
Hello Fred.

Thank you. Any cable in particular? DIY?

In my experience with DH Labs power cords, the cheap AC Power Plus is pretty decent, but the Red Wave is better soundwise. Both are similar in gauge, but the RW seems to have silver coated copper and shielding.

Oct 21, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #5,290 of 11,233
Hello Fred.

Thank you. Any cable in particular? DIY?

In my experience with DH Labs power cords, the cheap AC Power Plus is pretty decent, but the Red Wave is better soundwise. Both are similar in gauge, but the RW seems to have silver coated copper and shielding.

I aways liked the Furukawa off ebay. I now use a ms-audio occ copper on the r7he (ebay too). On my Master-3, i use a very affordable chinese ebay gauge 10. For a power amp, bigger is really better, no joke. I am very satisfied with this cheap gauge 10.

Oct 21, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #5,292 of 11,233
I have to say, my M7 (upgraded to M7S) is now solidly better than my Yggy-v2.
I bought both almost at the same time 5 years ago. M7 got major upgrades, Yggy-v2 actually made it worse. Who wudda thunk which one came out on top.

M7S also doesn't need a day of warm up to sound good...

Also, I've been using NOS on M7S with Dsdclk, sounds amazing. I never prefer'd NOS, but now it's just, so good.
OS8 and NOS are both top notch, both delivering unique flavors for system synergies. Couldn't be happier with this dac.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #5,293 of 11,233
Hello guys,

I've tried several different powercords from OCC to silver plated. I have the best results with PC Triple-C copper. Build it myself with Nanotec POWER STRADA #308 and Iego pure copper/rhodium plated mains and IEC plugs (8075 series). All internal connections in the plugs are treated with Silclear. Result is a very open and natural flowing sound. I wrote about this power "adventure" on my site: https://www.audioenzo.nl/project-230v-voeding/ (in Dutch though)

project_netkabels_05.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back