New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Oct 12, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #5,147 of 11,246
Kingwa confirmed me: I have update the firmware reclock configure and the NOS work in parallel mode
I would be surprised if nothing has been changed; I have uploaded the old tda_asy and its really different.
The new Parallel v2 smooth is awesome !

Oct 12, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #5,149 of 11,246
Kingwa confirmed me: I have update the firmware reclock configure and the NOS work in parallel mode
I would be surprised if nothing has been changed; I have uploaded the old tda_asy and its really different.
The new Parallel v2 smooth is awesome !
Do you run os or nos? Have you compared both?

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #5,152 of 11,246
I compared OS with NOS. In OS the image is not realistic (too big) for me and NOS sounds more natural.
First Parallel version NOS was serial indeed; 2nd version NOS is parallel mode too I understood from Kingwa.
Nos has more depth, a better sense of it too. I don't dislike the soundstage being wider with os8, it's the depth and the lack of sound coming from between the speaker i dislike. If Kingwa could give the same tonality and similar imaging to os8, that would be great. Otherwise, i may become a NOS convert.

Oct 12, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #5,153 of 11,246
Nos has more depth, a better sense of it too. I don't dislike the soundstage being wider with os8, it's the depth and the lack of sound coming from between the speaker i dislike. If Kingwa could give the same tonality and similar imaging to os8, that would be great. Otherwise, i may become a NOS convert.
I totally agree - the wider soundstage is nice; the lack of depth and specially sound coming from speaker makes it "unreal" or less "pleasant". Till now I always preferred OS8; with the new parallel v2 smooth I definitely prefer NOS.

Oct 12, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #5,154 of 11,246
Yes, I do hear the depth with NOS. More in the middle versus OS.

Interesting... Tonally OS 8x hasn't sounded this good on my system since V3A. I did not care for Asy3 OS 8x (OS 0x or NOS) and the original parallel firmware 'P' sounded strange on OS. And with Asy3 hi-rez sampling rate PCM sounded thinner than with V3A OS. Hi-rez recordings sound very good with new firmware. I have the same experience with the U16 HDMI or F1 on input 6. At least with my ears and equipment.

Kingwa is listening!

Oct 12, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #5,155 of 11,246
Yes, I do hear the depth with NOS. More in the middle versus OS.

Interesting... Tonally OS 8x hasn't sounded this good on my system since V3A. I did not care for Asy3 OS 8x (OS 0x or NOS) and the original parallel firmware 'P' sounded strange on OS. And with Asy3 hi-rez sampling rate PCM sounded thinner than with V3A OS. Hi-rez recordings sound very good with new firmware. I have the same experience with the U16 HDMI or F1 on input 6. At least with my ears and equipment.

Kingwa is listening!
Well it is quite interesting and surprising that we totally agree on p2, but as for tda_asy3, in os8 mode (which i constantly use), this was the best fw ever made to my ears. Especially the soundstaging.

Oct 12, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #5,156 of 11,246
No matter which FW, to me NOS has always given me better depth and width of sound stage but OS is smoother, more forgiving, but also less air (between notes), less alive, more Hi-Fi like. NOS works especially well with CD transport via BNC . But OS is good for initial burn-in and poor recordings. The V3 or earlier NOS has more grain but the TDA, it gets really smooth and can play all sample rates excellently where as the older FW is more fussy on sample rates. e.g NOS1 is best for DXD and NOS2/3 better for lower rates. However TDA seems perfect for all.
My magnafied DAC is still burning in so it is hard to test FW, but Magna encourages me to try latest FW, so I should be trying P2 smooth or is it known as PS 2 ? That runs NOS parallel as well correct ?

Oct 12, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #5,157 of 11,246
I don't find P_2 OS 8x imaging objectionable though like I did with the original 'P' firmware. But NOS is a more natural on soundstaging. What I like best about P_2 OS 8x is I have absolutely no grain compared to Asy3. God it is clean!

Have to admit with the 2 day power outage I lost my frame of reference and my audio memory is not great after a few hours anyway.

@Chopin75 You may like the smooth version PS_2. I loaded it and sounded good. Just slightly less sparkle and bass.

Oct 12, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #5,159 of 11,246
I don't find P_2 OS 8x imaging objectionable though like I did with the original 'P' firmware. But NOS is a more natural on soundstaging. What I like best about P_2 OS 8x is I have absolutely no grain compared to Asy3. God it is clean!

Have to admit with the 2 day power outage I lost my frame of reference and my audio memory is not great after a few hours anyway.

@Chopin75 You may like the smooth version PS_2. I loaded it and sounded good. Just slightly less sparkle and bass.

Yes, I agree with you on the OS8 - its clean! I do prefer NOS though of all other reasons. At least the difference between OS/NOS is bigger now.

Kingwa responded... NOS and OS both employ parallel data processing on the latest firmware.

Great, my ears are still fine :)

@DACLadder What TDA_asy_P2 version are you using? Smooth or standard (accurate)?

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #5,160 of 11,246
@gk2013 Everyone's ears are probably better than mine! I tried both smooth and original (accurate). I prefer accurate version as I get an extra kick on the low side that helps my system plus the sparkle adds presence..

I also like the old V2 and V3 accurate version but took a long time to warm up to them with the old hardware. A lot of fiddling around and cable swaps to get it to sound decent. The new hardware has much less grain so the top end shines right through and sounds very natural.

But smooth may be better for some systems. Just a matter of taste and preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back