New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jun 16, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #2,041 of 11,233
Yes. The upsampling on the r2r 7 works well with dithering on for me but izotope can do better with tweaking.
I am running straight with 0 Jumpers :D. Loving the R2R7. The satisfactions of Jazz and it organic instruments voicing are so addicting. Jazz is one of my favorite genres, and usually it sounds very freaking boring on systems VS live music

The R2R7 and Pinkfaun make them alive :D

Jun 16, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #2,042 of 11,233
I am running straight with 0 Jumpers :D. Loving the R2R7. The satisfactions of Jazz and it organic instruments voicing are so addicting. Jazz is one of my favorite genres, and usually it sounds very freaking boring on systems VS live music

The R2R7 and Pinkfaun make them alive :D
Even old jazz sounds greats now. Can't get enough of it. Bill Evans, Wes Montgomery, Gillespie, Monk, Chet Baker, Ben Webster. Milt Jackon's vibraphone sounds out of this world. I never thought i could enjoy this instrument as much.

Jun 16, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #2,043 of 11,233
Even old jazz sounds greats now. Can't get enough of it. Bill Evans, Wes Montgomery, Gillespie, Monk, Chet Baker, Ben Webster. Milt Jackon's vibraphone sounds out of this world. I never thought i could enjoy this instrument as much.
I know!! I agree totally. This is why I would toss R2R7 into those very high-end performances kind of equipments. Amazing that it is priced the way it is. Saxophone with it inner energy, so dense, so strong, so deep. So very realistic

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #2,046 of 11,233
image.jpg
Done the r2r board firmware update to fix the clicking noise issue. Good news, heard no click so far, from 88kz to 96kz or the other way around or to dsd, which was the worst. Thanks Kingwa.

For those who want to do the update, don't download the whole ISE14.6 you just need the labtools distribution, which is 1Gb.

If you are on windows 8, the impact sw crashes when trying to open a file browser. To fix this:

1. Rename (Install Dir)\14.6\LabTools\lib\nt64\libPortability.dll to some backup name
2. Rename (Install Dir)\14.6\LabTools\lib\nt64\lib\PortabilityNOSH.dll to libPortability.dll

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #2,047 of 11,233
I know!! I agree totally. This is why I would toss R2R7 into those very high-end performances kind of equipments. Amazing that it is priced the way it is. Saxophone with it inner energy, so dense, so strong, so deep. So very realistic
Speaking of good sounding brass instruments, Chet sounds great on "But not for me".

Jun 16, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #2,049 of 11,233
Someone can say for sure if this DAC clicked in sound under Linux when playing dsd?
You can download my firmware and try http://digitall.in.ua/forum/topic/v-a-m-p-for-pc/
Hi,

I am using Linux based players. I gave up on fiddeling with windows settings. Linux alsa module is just clean and very very well sounding. I think it is superior to MS Windows. No issues with noise other than the pops due to sample rate changes.

/Jan

Jun 16, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #2,052 of 11,233
Well, one of the reason why I have no more pops and clicks. I am using Pinkfaun i2s and so everything is now sitting at 192khz, even DSF, and they all sounds so good this way :D. Who cares about USB and Native DSD, when it gets to Amanero, it will be converted to I2S anyways

Jun 16, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #2,053 of 11,233
Well, one of the reason why I have no more pops and clicks. I am using Pinkfaun i2s and so everything is now sitting at 192khz, even DSF, and they all sounds so good this way :D. Who cares about USB and Native DSD, when it gets to Amanero, it will be converted to I2S anyways
Hasn't your dac been shipped with the fix?

Jun 16, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #2,054 of 11,233
Hasn't your dac been shipped with the fix?
Yes it was, but using usb input and switching DSD files will still have the pop. That is caused by the switching from pcm into DSD mode, where as the DAC is constantly at pcm. So when at the end of DSD file, it switch back to pcm, and play another DSD, it will pop again.

However, I am using i2s Pinkfaun, which is pcm 192khz max, so I don’t have this popping noises, and there are no pop between different pcm samples

Jun 16, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #2,055 of 11,233
Intried
Yes it was, but using usb input and switching DSD files will still have the pop. That is caused by the switching from pcm into DSD mode, where as the DAC is constantly at pcm. So when at the end of DSD file, it switch back to pcm, and play another DSD, it will pop again.

However, I am using i2s Pinkfaun, which is pcm 192khz max, so I don’t have this popping noises, and there are no pop between different pcm samples

From 88k to dsd and the other way around, i heard no pop while it was rather loud before, i am satisfied with this update. From 44k to dsd, the pop might be audible, would have to try it, but i upsample everything to 88/96.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back