New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Nov 20, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #706 of 11,233
Excuse the OT but..

I know that Kingwa has worked with the distortion overtone spectras in the 7.77. Read at the end of Summarize-page: http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/NFB_7_77/NFB7.77EN.htm

"...Then we had to spend a long term to listen and compare the sound , adjust the parameters to change the Odd and even numbers distortion to let the sound life and like real.
Finally the DAC may had not the minimum distortion but had the most neutral sound with life and real."

To get back to this threads subject, I can say that my R2R-7 is on delivery right now. I am very excited to get it..

/Jan

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #707 of 11,233
I removed an iFi iUSB3.0 I've been using for years and I heard a ton more information and dynamics, though with some digititus.
I figure I should try a friends w4s recovery which doesn't filter as aggressively and is a femto reclocker.
Or I can do femto right and get the Singxer. What i2s cable are people loving, and is it RJ45 or HDMI?

Back on NOS3 -- better image center (more solid/substance)

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #708 of 11,233
I removed an iFi iUSB3.0 I've been using for years and I heard a ton more information and dynamics, though with some digititus.
I figure I should try a friends w4s recovery which doesn't filter as aggressively and is a femto reclocker.
Or I can do femto right and get the Singxer. What i2s cable are people loving, and is it RJ45 or HDMI?

Back on NOS3 -- better image center (more solid/substance)

Get a set of Icron Ranger 2304GE + LPS and never look back: http://www.usaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1172

You don't need buying a full "Ultimate Chain" to benefit. I just have a set of Icron Ranger 2304GE, a LPS, cheap Cat6 LAN and Belden Gold USB cables to use with the built-in audio-gd Amanero USB receiver, and the result is amazing.

Nov 23, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #710 of 11,233
Yesterday I received my r2r 1. Before listening to it I left it connected and converting music for about 6 hours. So far I'm not impressed by its performance, but it seems it really has to burn-in to release its capacities (which this morning, after the entire night left on for converting, are starting to show). Bass seems to be lacking a bit, but at least they are not slow/"long". For the moment it's not sounding that much different from my upgraded oppo 205 (belleson spz +- 15v regulators, upgraded capacitors where needed, bypassed capacitors somewhere..etc..).

I would like to get back on this argument to give you some updates.
As explained since the beginning, I sold the Master 7 to buy R2R7, but since I tried Denafrips Terminator which was very slow on bass response, I was afraid that even R2R 7, being an R2R dac, could have been slow on bass.
I then took the occasion of the launch of R2R1 to test the "smallest/cheapest" version of R2R7 and hear how the sound would have been.
Actually, after a week leaving it continously converting in order to break-in and listening to it every evening I can tell that It has indeed got better a lot. I found a very good sound: separation of instruments, clean and fast bass (what I wanted since the beginning), but too much similar to the modified oppo 205 that I have (which sounds a little more detailed/clean, but more digital).

Considering the price of this dac, it is really an amazing product which has a lot to offer (unfortunately I didn't have an I2S interface to test it, as I sold my old DI-2014, which I think could have delivered a really nice improvement).

For the above mentioned reasons I decided to wait for the beginning of next year and buy R2R7.

Nov 23, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #711 of 11,233
I would like to get back on this argument to give you some updates.
As explained since the beginning, I sold the Master 7 to buy R2R7, but since I tried Denafrips Terminator which was very slow on bass response, I was afraid that even R2R 7, being an R2R dac, could have been slow on bass.
I then took the occasion of the launch of R2R1 to test the "smallest/cheapest" version of R2R7 and hear how the sound would have been.
Actually, after a week leaving it continously converting in order to break-in and listening to it every evening I can tell that It has indeed got better a lot. I found a very good sound: separation of instruments, clean and fast bass (what I wanted since the beginning), but too much similar to the modified oppo 205 that I have (which sounds a little more detailed/clean, but more digital).

Considering the price of this dac, it is really an amazing product which has a lot to offer (unfortunately I didn't have an I2S interface to test it, as I sold my old DI-2014, which I think could have delivered a really nice improvement).

For the above mentioned reasons I decided to wait for the beginning of next year and buy R2R7.

Give it more burning. It's probably not done yet.

Nov 25, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #713 of 11,233
Hi,

So now I have got my R2R-7. Got it delivered yesterday and now powered up.This is a different animal for sure, compared to my earlier gears. The burn in period has started.

/Jan

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #714 of 11,233
Hi,

So now I have got my R2R-7. Got it delivered yesterday and now powered up.This is a different animal for sure, compared to my earlier gears. The burn in period has started.

/Jan
Be patient. I am still on the 6 moon settings with audirvana doing 352/384 upsampling. Love it that way.

Nov 26, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #715 of 11,233
Be patient.

Yes, thanks. I have the patience to wait for it to open up. Now at about 24 h it has already reached up to the R2R11's sound quality... I agree with You (all) saying that the R2R-7 sounds strange in periods, during the first hours of burn in... Bass was/is coming and going and mid and high alter, competing... Right nowit is pretty stable though and it is definitely enjoyable.
I know there is (much) more to come...

This is a pleasure to experience a high gear to mature.

/Jan

Nov 27, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #716 of 11,233
got the Singxer Sunday night. Breaking in now -- will get the Kitsune DC kit soon.

Just learned something using a USB cable that let's you switch between 3 modes w/o removal (normal, external +5v, no +5v):
R2R-7's USB input (amanero) doesn't require the +5v lead, but the Singxer's USB does (XMOS)
If [with the Singxer] you are using two USB cables with a +5v re-generator (recovery, iFi, regen) in the middle then you can still use a USB wire that had the +5v removed, as long as you run it first and the wire after the re-generator has the +5v lead.

anybody have opinions on which HDMI cable to use?

Nov 27, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #718 of 11,233
As mentioned the shorter the HDMI cable the better as far as jitter in the received signals. The 0.3m Wireworld cables are about the shortest that are available from a quality vendor. But Wireworld flatness makes the them a tough connection in the shortest lengths. The 0.3m Wireworld cable though does not want to readily bend so placement of the Singxer is critical and inflexible in my case.

The better quality cables are needed if you use longer cables. I found the Wireworld red Starlight and the much more expensive silver Startlight sound the same in short lengths. But the cheaper Wireworld ultraviolet I can tell a difference over red or silver Startlight.

Look for downrev Wireworld cables. I bought my red Startlight 5.2 0.3m cable for about $35 from a dealer closing out old stock.

I've also used generic 0.5m HDMI cables with good results. The key again is shorter the cable length the better for lowest jitter. Don't use 2m cables when you only need 0.5m length. On Amazon I see many affordable 1 ft (0.15m) HDMI cables that may be the best yet if long enough.

IMG_0954.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #719 of 11,233
The 2m mapleshade vivilink2 is dark enough that my SR cable is sounding flat.
I happen to have a 0.3m wireworld silver starlight 5.2 that never played nice with any former DAC. Just now tried it and it's sounding plenty brittle. I heard there were some knock offs floating around -- wonder if mine is a knockoff.
But a $4 3ft 22awg fat monoprice cable is indeed sounding nice. didn't expect that! But still bright enough that I'll be trying the iFi iUSB3 again.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back