New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Nov 13, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #691 of 11,224
What do you use for rj45 connection ? i.e. how do you convert the digital signal from your music server / computer to rj45 ? I think you mentioned the singxer f-1 but that does not have rj45 digital out ? Did you mod yours ?
I have a singxer F-1. I installed a rj45 (cat6a) output cable on it.

Nov 13, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #692 of 11,224
@ barbas: Thanx for a good guide. -What firmware did You use?

/Jan
Hi JaMo, I'm still with all standard settings, meaning 'smooth' firmware, 8X OS, PLL off. I'm reaching the +/- 1.000 burn-in, this means I will start playing with settings these days. First I'll try 1X OS (NOS with digital filter) and Stopband mod. as 6moons reviewer, then pure NOS Mode 2, then pure NOS mode 3 and finally PLL on. After that I'll do the same with 'accurate' firmware. Let's hear...

Nov 13, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #693 of 11,224
Hi JaMo, I'm still with all standard settings, meaning 'smooth' firmware, 8X OS, PLL off. I'm reaching the +/- 1.000 burn-in, this means I will start playing with settings these days. First I'll try 1X OS (NOS with digital filter) and Stopband mod. as 6moons reviewer, then pure NOS Mode 2, then pure NOS mode 3 and finally PLL on. After that I'll do the same with 'accurate' firmware. Let's hear...
BTW, with my NOS 5 I preferred it over OS, with Mode 3 and PLL on with latest V2 firmware.

Nov 15, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #694 of 11,224
Yesterday I received my r2r 1. Before listening to it I left it connected and converting music for about 6 hours. So far I'm not impressed by its performance, but it seems it really has to burn-in to release its capacities (which this morning, after the entire night left on for converting, are starting to show). Bass seems to be lacking a bit, but at least they are not slow/"long". For the moment it's not sounding that much different from my upgraded oppo 205 (belleson spz +- 15v regulators, upgraded capacitors where needed, bypassed capacitors somewhere..etc..).

Nov 15, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #696 of 11,224
300hours burn in + much much better source+extra transformers for digital stages........

Nov 15, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #697 of 11,224
Yesterday I received my r2r 1. Before listening to it I left it connected and converting music for about 6 hours. So far I'm not impressed by its performance, but it seems it really has to burn-in to release its capacities (which this morning, after the entire night left on for converting, are starting to show). Bass seems to be lacking a bit, but at least they are not slow/"long". For the moment it's not sounding that much different from my upgraded oppo 205 (belleson spz +- 15v regulators, upgraded capacitors where needed, bypassed capacitors somewhere..etc..).
Give it two weeks at least. The r2r boards take a lot of time to perform at their best. Same for the output stage. I would not know if you necessarily need i2s to maximize sound quality, anyone has compared equivalent spdif and i2s sources with the new singularity board?

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 7:16 AM Post #698 of 11,224
At first I didn't like the USB input as much as using my F-1/iUSB 3, but I'm pretty satisfied with it now after it has now been left connected for weeks to a computer that is never powered down. I'm due to compare again though.

Nov 15, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #700 of 11,224
At first I didn't like the USB input as much as using my F-1/iUSB 3, but I'm pretty satisfied with it now after it has now been left connected for weeks to a computer that is never powered down. I'm due to compare again though.
same here -- the USB input really come around for me. Also it's locking on jumper settings that won't work on the I2S input (presumably my USB interface's fault). Hopefully I'll cross paths with a Singxer or whatever comes next, but I don't feel inclined to drop coin w/o hearing it first.

For amanero 384 is better to chose Asio or KS in jriver?
I don't even compare them anymore -- I go straight for ASIO. If you doing DSD (native or DoP), I think ASIO is the only option right?

These are only first impressions but i like what i hear with nos2 and 2x overampling in audirvana. It's like a mix of both. The bass goes lower, lower than with the os mode as well, the attacks are sharper than with only nos. Still the sound is smoother than with the nos OS. The attacks are not as sharp still as with the os mode. The soundstage is similar to nos2 without software oversampling
I know this is a late response but my DAC was on loan to a couple people.
Last night I started on Smooth/S2/NOS2/PLL (nothing reserved jumped) and I'm going to hold on this for a while. I like how the bass fills in, the highs get air and space. more to come

Nov 18, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #701 of 11,224
A couple of days ago a good friend of mine came to my house to listen to the R2R 7. My friend builds some state-of-the-art servers, so he did bring one of them to audition.

First listening session was with stock settings: OS x8, PLL OFF (smooth fw), then switched to OS x1 (NOS w/digital filter), then S2 jumper ON for NOS mode 3 and finally mode 2. We did back and forth several times. We both agreed that NOS mode 3 was clearly the best one off al those combinations above, better timbre, faster bass response, better image positioning, less dull. Finally we gave a chance to PLL ON, which didn't bring anything better to the equation.

We then switched to his Orfeo Server. We did the same procedure, this time the differences were clearer, NOS mode 3 was the clear winner. So, cover back on and NOS mode 3 was caged (just as with my previous NOS 5).

Later on, I will do the same procedure for Accurate fw.

BTW, he also brought his Gustard Dac X-20 to A/B with the R2R 7, not a fair contest but we did it anyways. As expected, R2R 7 give the Gustard a good ride through the park.

Nov 18, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #702 of 11,224
Gustard Dac X-20
I had my system dialed in for that DAC, so I figured the NFB-7.77 would naturally be an easy upgrade, but at the last minute I decided to take a chance on getting my first R2R.
Boy was I lucky I did -- to this day I still can't find a single review on the NFB-7.77. If a restaurant has been open for 6mo and it's still empty, I need not inquire.

Nov 18, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #703 of 11,224
A couple of days ago a good friend of mine came to my house to listen to the R2R 7. My friend builds some state-of-the-art servers, so he did bring one of them to audition.

First listening session was with stock settings: OS x8, PLL OFF (smooth fw), then switched to OS x1 (NOS w/digital filter), then S2 jumper ON for NOS mode 3 and finally mode 2. We did back and forth several times. We both agreed that NOS mode 3 was clearly the best one off al those combinations above, better timbre, faster bass response, better image positioning, less dull. Finally we gave a chance to PLL ON, which didn't bring anything better to the equation.

We then switched to his Orfeo Server. We did the same procedure, this time the differences were clearer, NOS mode 3 was the clear winner. So, cover back on and NOS mode 3 was caged (just as with my previous NOS 5).

Later on, I will do the same procedure for Accurate fw.

BTW, he also brought his Gustard Dac X-20 to A/B with the R2R 7, not a fair contest but we did it anyways. As expected, R2R 7 give the Gustard a good ride through the park.
Within the nos modes, meaning not doing software OS, mode 3 is also my clear favorite.

Nov 18, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #704 of 11,224
I had my system dialed in for that DAC, so I figured the NFB-7.77 would naturally be an easy upgrade, but at the last minute I decided to take a chance on getting my first R2R.
Boy was I lucky I did -- to this day I still can't find a single review on the NFB-7.77. If a restaurant has been open for 6mo and it's still empty, I need not inquire.
I am sure thr 7.77 is really good as well and that you get your money worth. But the new r2r dacs are really special.

Nov 20, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #705 of 11,224

some say ES9038 extracts every digital detail of the signal, very edgy but stuff full of details. so i think it's different strokes for different folks. Other threads on L.K.S MH-DA004 people really liking it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back