New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Nov 10, 2017 at 3:19 AM Post #676 of 11,233
For yoru information, NOS1 in accurate FW is not working for me. i've sent a mail to Kingwa and he said they have the same problem after testing. They'll try to correct in the future but they are very busy now (and they probably not know how they will manage the accurate vs smooth FW).
It was my understanding the accurate firmware is "experimental", all systems are shipped with "smooth" version. what do you mean with how they will "manage accurate vs smooth"?

Nov 10, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #677 of 11,233
It was my understanding the accurate firmware is "experimental", all systems are shipped with "smooth" version. what do you mean with how they will "manage accurate vs smooth"?

From what I was understanding "Accurate" was correcting something on the DSP output but Kingwa was "in fear" that it will be too much details for the users of R2R 7 (vs musicality). I was meaning that they probably do not know yet what will be the standard FW in the future because if the accurate really correct the DSP output there is no reason not to be the standard one (but if users dislike it, you can't).

About the NOS1 problem yes it's a bug but I don't have any problems with that, accurate is doing the job for me on my setup and I was just curious about NOS1.

Nov 10, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #678 of 11,233
I put accurate back in. It's definitely more difficult getting 'accurate' sounding musical -- I didn't like how it combined with the 6moons config. I set it to S2-NOS3 w/ PLL.

With the 8xOS I had a wider stage and stronger foundation (bass), and yet there is something ultra-natural about this. I tried I2S to get the bass back (Fred's suggestion) but my USB interface couldn't lock for nothing (just hiss) -- I guess it's true that OS is easier to lock with (removing PLL didn't help)

Going back to the USB input, the speed and absence of bloom is a real treat when you hear how well sources maintain separation into busy/complex passages. I'm going to stay on this for a bit.

Are there any jumper configurations that owners found difficult to lock via the USB input? So far I haven't seen any.

(my chain for the week)

Win10 STX PC w/ 200w LPS =>
Curious Cable =>
iFi iUSB3.0 =>
Synergistic Research USB Active SE =>
R2R7 =>
Synergistic Research Resolution Reference mk.II XLR =>
Yamaha A-S2100

I guess i am gonna stay with my current settings and smooth firmware until Kingwa figures things out. It's seems like a real R&D problem. I remember what the accuracy of the audiophilleo brought to my system 5 years ago: extreme clarity but a little too bright. I am starting to wonder if inaccuracies in recording studio equipements or in the mastering process could be what causes this problem.

In any case, i like the way my setup sounds very very much. The smooth firmware could be the official one as far i am concerned.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #679 of 11,233
I
Are there any jumper configurations that owners found difficult to lock via the USB input? So far I haven't seen any.

(my chain for the week)

Win10 STX PC w/ 200w LPS =>
Curious Cable =>
iFi iUSB3.0 =>
Synergistic Research USB Active SE =>
R2R7 =>
Synergistic Research Resolution Reference mk.II XLR =>
Yamaha A-S2100

Have you tried the Curious Cable weithout the iFi USB3.0? What do you like better? With or without the iFi?

Nov 11, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #680 of 11,233
I thought it more likely that "accurate" mode might be too strict for completely reliable operation of the electronics.

Nov 11, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #681 of 11,233
I thought it more likely that "accurate" mode might be too strict for completely reliable operation of the electronics.

Then I'd think accurate + NOS + PLL would have to be the strictest possible config, and I'm not having any issues via the USB input (but no such luck with i2s over a 4.5' hdmi cable)
Does that work for others?

Have you tried the Curious Cable weithout the iFi USB3.0?

I've got the super short curious cable so I'd have to buy the longer one to try that.
Sometimes I like listening with the extra cable and iFi removed. Everything is a trade off, and this variety is fun to observe.

Nov 11, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #682 of 11,233
Nov 11, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #684 of 11,233
Then I'd think accurate + NOS + PLL would have to be the strictest possible config, and I'm not having any issues via the USB input (but no such luck with i2s over a 4.5' hdmi cable)
Does that work for others?

I've got the super short curious cable so I'd have to buy the longer one to try that.
Sometimes I like listening with the extra cable and iFi removed. Everything is a trade off, and this variety is fun to observe.

No issue here with i2s combined with nos. But pll is off and I use rj45 i2s.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #687 of 11,233
Nov 13, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #689 of 11,233
It's on the Audio-gd page under the "manual" tab as well. I think the 6moons reviewer didn't even try looking.

Nov 13, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #690 of 11,233
I use rj45 i2s. I haven't had much time (30 minutes) with the Amanero. I expect i2s to best all other inputs because the F-1 uses Crysteks.

What do you use for rj45 connection ? i.e. how do you convert the digital signal from your music server / computer to rj45 ? I think you mentioned the singxer f-1 but that does not have rj45 digital out ? Did you mod yours ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Mr G
Back