New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jul 31, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #151 of 11,194
I'm using the R2R 7 out of a Power Plant Premier, which I'm going to assume would be equivalent. I guess the impression that the "exceeding the expect" thing on the Audio-gd web site is Kingwa having a go at Rockna selling the same thing for $15k. Someone in the Rockna thread said his Yggy was more detailed...

I recall Kingwa saying something about how the NOS was implemented. The three modes in the R2R 7 obviously have something to do with it. After playing with jumpers, I've gone back to 8x OS, ie: The stock config. Other than up-sampling to 352/384k in Audirvana (with or without NOS mode on), every other combination either lacked in clarity (NOS) or sounded odd (DSD up-sampling).

I only tried the default mode (pll on and off) and i alway upsampled 44/16 to 48/24. Sounds clean and natural. You get the dynamics of OS and still get the smoothness.

I use a balanced isolation transfo, which i believe is helping. I have not played with power cords, which i will do eventually to make the sound crisper. I only use very smooth power cords right now for the whole system.

Not sure the Power Plant Premier is equivalent. The ac regeneration is probably specifically tuned for each specific gear in the he series.

The r2r 7 certainly exceeded my expections by a big margin. I feel like i own a 10k dac.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #152 of 11,194
The r2r 7 certainly exceeded my expections by a big margin. I feel like i own a 10k dac.

Was trying to hold out for a write-up on the R2R7 vs Denafrips Pontus or 7.77, but statements like that didn't make it easy, and I lasted about a week.
This will be my 4th DAC (all have been chi-fi) and 1st AGD. At thrice the price of the X20 my expections are pretty high.

My P3 PowerPlant is 750VA (I think the Currawong's premier is 1200VA).
I do like the P3's ethernet port -- let's me warm up my equipment before I get off the train.
Seems silly to use PSAudio's powerplay website -- they should have a native app.

Aug 1, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #153 of 11,194
Was trying to hold out for a write-up on the R2R7 vs Denafrips Pontus or 7.77, but statements like that didn't make it easy, and I lasted about a week.
This will be my 4th DAC (all have been chi-fi) and 1st AGD. At thrice the price of the X20 my expections are pretty high.

My P3 PowerPlant is 750VA (I think the Currawong's premier is 1200VA).
I do like the P3's ethernet port -- let's me warm up my equipment before I get off the train.
Seems silly to use PSAudio's powerplay website -- they should have a native app.

Sure hope you like it.

Let it run for 24-48 hours before listening to it otherwise you could be inclined to return it like in was. The r2r 7 sounds strange before a warm-up time of 3-4 hours. I never turn it off.

Aug 1, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #154 of 11,194
Seems like a unit like this would benefit from a standby switch to keep it from going cold.
My Primare i30 sucks 24watts from the wall while on standby, and climbs to 70watts during usage.

So curious how it will gel with a T+A Class D integrated vs Primare integrated vs preamping from both into an Exposure 3010s.

I don't see any fuses in the photos.
I can still tape beeswax fuses to the transformers and see what that does

Aug 1, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #155 of 11,194
The fuses are built into the transformers themselves. They are also thermal.

Aug 2, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #156 of 11,194
Today i am at 336 hour burning time (636 with factory time). I'd say dynamics are still varying/improving, bass and overall balance as well. I am sure it's not all there yet. I will burn it for another 2 weeks 24/7.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #157 of 11,194
I am at 700 hours total this morning with the r2r 7. Believe it or not, it needs all that time to have the bass right. Now it's slamming. The macrodynamics and microdymamics seem also perfect now. I never had a component that took so much burning before reaching close to its full potential.

Now that it's there, i can tell you that compared to the M7, the r2r 7 has more meat on the bone, and more resolution as well. Music is more lively. Listening through the nfb1-amp and AKG701 in balanced mode has never been so statisfying. Same story with speakers. This dac does everything right. The bass is even richer that of the M7.

To those who buy one, let it burn, be patient and you will be greatly rewarded.

About the DSP settings, Kingwa has selected what he considered the best parameters as defaults for this dac, including dithering off and pll off. As for me, i still have the pll jumper on using i2s and have no intent to change any setting for now. I'll just enjoy the ride for a while...

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #158 of 11,194
AGD is shipping products called "R2R15" and "R2R7" according to their shipping log. Any idea what is a "R2R15"?

Interesting observation about PLL off as default. I'll have to play with that jumper on the S7 but sounds great with no jumpers installed.

Edit: R2R15 looks like a NOS R2R headphone DAC that is only advertised in the Asian markets....
http://audio-gd.com/R2R/R2R15/R2R15CH.htm

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #159 of 11,194
AGD is shipping products called "R2R15" and "R2R7" according to their shipping log. Any idea what is a "R2R15"?

Interesting observation about PLL off as default. I'll have to play with that jumper on the S7 but sounds great with no jumpers installed.

Edit: R2R15 looks like a NOS R2R headphone DAC that is only advertised in the Asian markets....
http://audio-gd.com/R2R/R2R15/R2R15CH.htm
Yeah. I will try again with pll jumper off at some point.

The r2r15 ifs a dac/amp combo at a very affordable price for just the chinese market i assume.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #162 of 11,194
On paper the r2r 15 looks fantastic. Low distorsion, high S/N, good headphone section, amanero usb, all that for around 300usd. I am tempted to buy one for the office.

Oh and have told you the r2r 7 is just fantastic?

Aug 6, 2017 at 2:48 AM Post #164 of 11,194
I've been playing around with my USB converters, and I'd probably say I marginally prefer the WaveIO via S/PDIF to the inbuilt USB, but it's very close, with the WaveIO seeming to be slightly smoother.

Aug 6, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #165 of 11,194
A
I've been playing around with my USB converters, and I'd probably say I marginally prefer the WaveIO via S/PDIF to the inbuilt USB, but it's very close, with the WaveIO seeming to be slightly smoother.
Amos, have you tried Eitr?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back