New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jan 19, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #871 of 11,259
@Currawong which are your preferred settings/fw for the R2R 7? Thanks...

Jan 19, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #873 of 11,259
(just found this draft that I forgot to hit send on)

Maybe the r2r7 converts everything to PCM384 before outputting?
I know the PSAudio converts everything to DSD before outputting.

Hi @Wynnytsky, the R2R-7 natively supports DSD (as confirmed both by the AudioGD website, which is a bit unclear, and the 6moons audio review: "The R2R 7 is thus two DACs in one. DSD is not converted to PCM but processed as DSD all the way.").

Jan 19, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #874 of 11,259

USB Singxer F1 Option For Audio-GD
MAGNA HIFI is offering a significant upgrade of the internal USB interface by replacing the Amanero USB interface for a more sophisticated Singxer F-1 XU208 board using the Crystek CCHD-575 ultra low phase noise clocks. Besides the sound quality improvements it enables native DSD512 support! We'll make sure the Singxer F-1 is properly installed and using internal ultra clean power source from the internal DAC to ensure best sound quality! (Available for R2R7; R2R7HE; NFB7.77; others on request)

This would enable HQPlayer DSD512 upsampling to be thrown into the R2R7.

With my SOtM sMS-200ultra USB via Singxer SU-1 to I2S on the R2R 7 HE was so much better then SOtM sMS-200ultra USB to Amanero on the R2R 7 HE. So Jos from Magna decided to give an option to implement the Singxer F1 board in stead of the Amanero!

Jan 19, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #875 of 11,259
Jan 19, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #877 of 11,259
would be nice if someone could contribute/link-to something explaining the role a resistor ladder can play decoding DSD
wonder if there are any chips inside that only get used during DSD playback

Hi @Wynnytsky , I read in several places that while DSD is 1-bit signal, the implementation detail in most chips is that they process the digital signal to actually use 6 to 8 bits to reduce the DSD-to-analog noise floor.

I am no expert on this, so just guessing here, but perhaps there is similar digital processing happening in the FPGA, which then gets fed to some of the steps of the ladder. Or, perhaps the R2R7 has a separate implementation path for this, like the Holo Spring DAC.

Perhaps mr @Kingwa can tell us?

Jan 19, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #879 of 11,259
This is what Jeff Zhu wrote about how the Holo Spring does it:

"I just explain how Spring can do 'discrete
DSD conversion'. Actually it is like DCS and CHORD. If you looking to DCS
and CHORD's pcb, you will find 'discrete DSD conversion' is also using
switches and precision resistors, like resistor ladder dacs. So, no matter
it is 'discrete DSD conversion' or 'discrete PCM conversion', they all use
the same discrete devices. Just work in different architecture. That makes
possible to combine these two modes in one device."

Somewhat helpful...

Jan 19, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #880 of 11,259

With my SOtM sMS-200ultra USB via Singxer SU-1 to I2S on the R2R 7 HE was so much better then SOtM sMS-200ultra USB to Amanero on the R2R 7 HE. So Jos from Magna decided to give an option to implement the Singxer F1 board in stead of the Amanero!

I have no complaints with the SU-1 on HDMI I2S with the S7... Just curious but how much is this upgrade in ballpark numbers?

Jan 19, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #882 of 11,259
I have no complaints with the SU-1 on HDMI I2S with the S7... Just curious but how much is this upgrade in ballpark numbers?
Little hard to give it a number, but the quality profit with the SU-1 is rather big, much bigger then the difference between the R2R 7 and the R2R 7 HE for example, or between the different jumper settings in the dac.

Jan 20, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #883 of 11,259
Little hard to give it a number, but the quality profit with the SU-1 is rather big, much bigger then the difference between the R2R 7 and the R2R 7 HE for example, or between the different jumper settings in the dac.
Hi @remoss. Could you elaborate on the differences with the internal Amanero? This racing specced su-1 looks very interesting for the money.

Jan 20, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #884 of 11,259
Found Magna Hifi web store. No specific information about "Magnafied" Singxer SU-1 which is about 200 euro upgrade if purchasing an SU-1 or 219 euro for your personal SU-1 upgrade. Prices are cheaper with no VAT. Would be interesting to hear what you get for the "Magnafied" SU-1.

The internal F-1 is just a USB to SPDIF coax converter (179 euro). There is a header connector after the isolation parts that provides I2S. Elimination of the LVDS conversion layer to drive a HDMI cable may provide lower jitter. Shenzhenaudio has a description of the F-1 but implies that LVDS is output on the header connector for I2S and LVCMOS for DSD signals. The excitement level dialed back down.

https://www.magnahifi.com/en/webshop/category/singxer
https://www.shenzhenaudio.com/singx...-xu208-chip-high-end-u8-upgraded-version.html

Edit: The Singxer F-1 header outputs low-voltage TTL compatible I2S and DSD signalling on the 2 x 10 internal header. Shenzhenaudio mixes pictures of SU-1 and F-1.... Thank you Kitsune Hifi for the pic....

KitsuneHIfi.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #885 of 11,259
Hi @remoss. Could you elaborate on the differences with the internal Amanero? This racing specced su-1 looks very interesting for the money.
Hi Fred, i have a short review on my site. It's still not translated so in Dutch, but maybe Google translate can make a understandable translation :wink: :https://www.audioenzo.nl/singxer-su-1-magnafied/ . Compared to the Amanero it's a no brainer, it lift the sound on all aspects.

Found Magna Hifi web store. No specific information about "Magnafied" Singxer SU-1 which is about 200 euro upgrade if purchasing an SU-1 or 219 euro for your personal SU-1 upgrade. Prices are cheaper with no VAT. Would be interesting to hear what you get for the "Magnafied" SU-1.
From the Magna site:
MAGNAFIED EDITION
  • Three stages ultra Low Noise power supply Improvements
  • Adding super low noise regulator LT3042
  • Replacing standard regulator for ultra low noise Tentlabs 3.3V shunt regulator
  • Replace / adding WIMA MKS4 on critical places
  • 4400uF Nichicon Gold series capacitor added to Power Supply
  • RMS noise: 0.9μVRMS (10Hz to 100kHz)
  • PSRR: >92dB (at 1MHz)
  • Output impedance across whole bandwidth for 5V reg <10m-ohm
I found the MagnaFied sound is cleaner, more spacy in mids and high. More micro details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back