New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jan 4, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #826 of 11,259
I thought I wouldn't go back from the accurate firmware as well, but it is too brutal with less than perfect recordings in my set-up, so I'm back to the default firmware.
That was my conclusion also until I tried the cork+rubber feet. I'm back to accurate+6moons+PLL AND all completely unforgiving silver-coated-copper interconnects (morrow).

I did turn off software OS though. I find that's like having more paint on the brush which complements accurate well.

Jan 4, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #827 of 11,259
That was my conclusion also until I tried the cork+rubber feet. I'm back to accurate+6moons+PLL AND all completely unforgiving silver-coated-copper interconnects (morrow).

I did turn off software OS though. I find that's like having more paint on the brush which complements accurate well.
Cork + rubber feet? Excuse my ignorance, what are you talking about?

Jan 4, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #828 of 11,259
Cork + rubber feet?

the think I linked to on pg54 (35cent each)
GZLFZCVFAHIM.jpg

Jan 4, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #833 of 11,259
Re the antivibration stuff: I am just testing a solution called Ceraball Universal (produced by Finite Elemente) under my HE-7 Singularity and other devices and I am really surprised by the results and positive SQ impacts. Do not laugh but it works in my setup. So try to experiment guys. It may be microphonics we are fighting with, among other things: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microphonics

And keep us posted about your cork+rubber or other experiments. Does it work as well?

Jan 15, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #837 of 11,259
That girl above is driving me coconuts.
wait till you watch her video with the DAC footers in place!

Until this weekend I had them directly under the 4 feet -- I moved them to the chassis and removed one from the back. The extension is less exaggerated, and maybe the bass is a tad better. FYI these footers made improvements in every area, but the bass doesn't travel as deep. Tried some hard footers that did go deep but preferred the cork.

My speaker wires are now 6awg home depot (copper in PVC jacket), biwired with 13awg belden tinned copper. There was little to no extension in the highs before adding the belden. Morrow interconnects are OUT. and really liking a $40-$50 Supra USB cable from Sweden. No room for smooth firmware with this cabling.

Furez copper connectors and Furutech copper outlet on the way

Jan 15, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #838 of 11,259
I have a supra usb cable in my setup as well, plus two others.

I think tweaks like these that you are trying are really worth it. For instance, i like the overall tonal balance better through my headphone setup. This tells me i can get the perfect cable combination with my speaker. I am not far from the perfect sound. Swapping some power cables is well worth trying also. The impact on bass is significant. In my case, a little more in the upper mids, and i will be done. This is the magic ingredient that can make the sound really really involving.

But believe it or not, the r2r 7 still is improving, though very slowly, after 1300-1500 hours. Kind of crazy, really. At this point, i am very happy with it most of the time. With the hifiman he-560 through the nfb-1amp, using a balance headphone cable, i am really really happy with how it sounds. I know i can still tweak my monoblock amps to improve them a little. I just got them new enclosures, but the layout still need some work. All details matter really and the r2r 7 is a good base to work from. The source is a key ingredient to good sound.

By the way, i ordered a r2r 11 for the office. Got a chance to listen to it before ordering, it sounds way beyond what it costs, with great soundstaging and clarity. I think it's a steal.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #839 of 11,259
wait till you watch her video with the DAC footers in place!

Until this weekend I had them directly under the 4 feet -- I moved them to the chassis and removed one from the back. The extension is less exaggerated, and maybe the bass is a tad better. FYI these footers made improvements in every area, but the bass doesn't travel as deep. Tried some hard footers that did go deep but preferred the cork.

My speaker wires are now 6awg home depot (copper in PVC jacket), biwired with 13awg belden tinned copper. There was little to no extension in the highs before adding the belden. Morrow interconnects are OUT. and really liking a $40-$50 Supra USB cable from Sweden. No room for smooth firmware with this cabling.

Furez copper connectors and Furutech copper outlet on the way

For a possible alternative presentation vs. the Supra USB, I have found this cable is an outstanding value
Pangea Audio USB Cable 24 Gauge Pure Silver
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGUSBAG

For my tube pre, I use these for the horizontal ... with some foam to absorb vertical.. vibrations.. (but I think they could be a PITA for something the size of my NOS7 ..currently using the Herbies blocks)
Rollerblocks from Ingress
http://www.ingress-engineering.ca/

I have a lot of the the Morrow cables, but recently needed some lightweight and shielded XLR´s and these sound fine..
(nice feature also is that the flexibility helps minimize movement restriction when using the Rollerblocks. )
Ghent Audio Canare L-4E6S XLR (M to F) Balanced Cable
https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/a03.html

Jan 15, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #840 of 11,259
@JaMo What is your impression of the R2R 7 versus the Singularity DSP driven S7 (or M7)?

The reasons for my silence this time are a mix of things....

Well, first I had to sell my upgraded to M7S with OPA2140 servos. When I had them together R2R-7 and the M7S, they wasn't comparable at all. The R2R-7 was "raw and dry" and needed miles of burn in to be even close in the embracing feeling i got from the M7S. A main reason for me going to the R2R-7 is the DSD-ability. The R2R-7 now have about 1200 h on it and it just have started to open up. I am using the accurate firmware on OS x4 with dithering. I have done a lot of testing forth and back with different settings and find it the best in my setup (ESL speakers). The DSD presentation of the R2R-7 is really stunning. I am very pleased with that. The PCM has still potential to be better. I think and hope that Kingwa will continuing to address this DSP programming. The Accurate fw is brutal as Currawong wrote, to poor recordings. The smooth fw lacks some dynamics I think.

The heritage comes from the Ref7/Master 7 and among their stronger qualities was their embracing feeling, spacious and forgiving presentation of also less perfect recordings. All was listenable and enjoyable. I hope that Kingwa will work on this for the DSP in the R2R-7.... To let highend recordings sound high end and the more average/poorer recordings still be nice to listen to with dept and less harshness. I know Kingwa has his tricks and I am sure he will come up with a solution for it. Maybe there will be a R2R-7 firmware with a "Master-7-ish"-flavour to choose, in the future. The R2R-7 has a beast inside, proved on DSDmaterial, and it can be very very good also on PCM. To clearify: High quality PCM recordings sounds on the way to fantastic. Mine still needs further burn in. Not sure how long though...

On the question DSP driven M7S and the R2R-7, I think the M7S was more forgiving to recordings and very enjoyable. On the question, -which one is best? I cannot answer. They are different spieces. With the M7S You have a very nice dac that still have the forgiveness to poor recordings and it is worth alot. The R2R-7 can be a "killer" for sure but I think it still needs some fine tuning in the DSP. For me, I wanted an all in all solution with DSD included. I got it with the R2R-7 but it has been a small struggle to tame it on the present firmwares. It gets better every day now so I can confirm that the R2R-7 needs an "ultralong burn in period"

If You will stay on the M7S, and on the most pleasing fw, which is a good choice, consider to exchange the OPA2134's for 2140's.

/Jan

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back