1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

New Audio-gd R7 (R2R 7) & R8 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by Currawong, Jun 30, 2017.
First

Back
37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46
48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57
Next

Last
  1. FredA
    I have a singxer F-1. I installed a rj45 (cat6a) output cable on it.

2. barbas
    Hi JaMo, I'm still with all standard settings, meaning 'smooth' firmware, 8X OS, PLL off. I'm reaching the +/- 1.000 burn-in, this means I will start playing with settings these days. First I'll try 1X OS (NOS with digital filter) and Stopband mod. as 6moons reviewer, then pure NOS Mode 2, then pure NOS mode 3 and finally PLL on. After that I'll do the same with 'accurate' firmware. Let's hear...

3. barbas
    BTW, with my NOS 5 I preferred it over OS, with Mode 3 and PLL on with latest V2 firmware.

4. decapitate85
    Yesterday I received my r2r 1. Before listening to it I left it connected and converting music for about 6 hours. So far I'm not impressed by its performance, but it seems it really has to burn-in to release its capacities (which this morning, after the entire night left on for converting, are starting to show). Bass seems to be lacking a bit, but at least they are not slow/"long". For the moment it's not sounding that much different from my upgraded oppo 205 (belleson spz +- 15v regulators, upgraded capacitors where needed, bypassed capacitors somewhere..etc..).

5. decapitate85
    I'm also sure that with a proper hdmi-i2s interface it will really improve a lot.

6. bballas
    300hours burn in + much much better source+extra transformers for digital stages........

7. FredA
    Give it two weeks at least. The r2r boards take a lot of time to perform at their best. Same for the output stage. I would not know if you necessarily need i2s to maximize sound quality, anyone has compared equivalent spdif and i2s sources with the new singularity board?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    JaMo likes this.
  8. Currawong Contributor
    At first I didn't like the USB input as much as using my F-1/iUSB 3, but I'm pretty satisfied with it now after it has now been left connected for weeks to a computer that is never powered down. I'm due to compare again though.

9. decapitate85
    For amanero 384 is better to chose Asio or KS in jriver?

10. Wynnytsky
    same here -- the USB input really come around for me. Also it's locking on jumper settings that won't work on the I2S input (presumably my USB interface's fault). Hopefully I'll cross paths with a Singxer or whatever comes next, but I don't feel inclined to drop coin w/o hearing it first.

I don't even compare them anymore -- I go straight for ASIO. If you doing DSD (native or DoP), I think ASIO is the only option right?

I know this is a late response but my DAC was on loan to a couple people.
    Last night I started on Smooth/S2/NOS2/PLL (nothing reserved jumped) and I'm going to hold on this for a while. I like how the bass fills in, the highs get air and space. more to come

11. barbas
    A couple of days ago a good friend of mine came to my house to listen to the R2R 7. My friend builds some state-of-the-art servers, so he did bring one of them to audition.

First listening session was with stock settings: OS x8, PLL OFF (smooth fw), then switched to OS x1 (NOS w/digital filter), then S2 jumper ON for NOS mode 3 and finally mode 2. We did back and forth several times. We both agreed that NOS mode 3 was clearly the best one off al those combinations above, better timbre, faster bass response, better image positioning, less dull. Finally we gave a chance to PLL ON, which didn't bring anything better to the equation.

We then switched to his Orfeo Server. We did the same procedure, this time the differences were clearer, NOS mode 3 was the clear winner. So, cover back on and NOS mode 3 was caged (just as with my previous NOS 5).

Later on, I will do the same procedure for Accurate fw.

BTW, he also brought his Gustard Dac X-20 to A/B with the R2R 7, not a fair contest but we did it anyways. As expected, R2R 7 give the Gustard a good ride through the park.

Currawong and FredA like this.
  12. Wynnytsky
    I had my system dialed in for that DAC, so I figured the NFB-7.77 would naturally be an easy upgrade, but at the last minute I decided to take a chance on getting my first R2R.
    Boy was I lucky I did -- to this day I still can't find a single review on the NFB-7.77. If a restaurant has been open for 6mo and it's still empty, I need not inquire.

13. FredA
    Within the nos modes, meaning not doing software OS, mode 3 is also my clear favorite.

14. FredA
    I am sure thr 7.77 is really good as well and that you get your money worth. But the new r2r dacs are really special.

JaMo likes this.
  15. Fatdoi
    some say ES9038 extracts every digital detail of the signal, very edgy but stuff full of details. so i think it's different strokes for different folks. Other threads on L.K.S MH-DA004 people really liking it.

First

Back
37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46
48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57
Next

Last