New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jan 26, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #5,851 of 11,225
The isoregen or other isolation devices indeed can interfere with the SQ. I took out my ifi products as they just change the sound eg warmthen it and degrades the clarity/sound stage. They only work well for a week source.

TOTALLY AGREED!!! So many people use multiple reclockers- and in my experience it usually damages. My last DAC before I changed over to audio-gd only had coax input; no USB so I used a Shiit Audio Eiter USB to SPDIF converter with built in rechecking. It cost around $100. When I placed the world famous SOTM tx-USB ultra special edition reclocker in front of it with a world class power supply, - the sound changed- but not necessarily for the better. It was a lateral move; a bit smoother and fuller but less crisp. The Regen ISO before the Shiit Eiter really damaged the sound.

Be careful with multiple reclockers. The only device I have found to help under all conditions before every reclocker I have ever had is a "jitterbug"; maybe because it is passive and has no power supply.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #5,852 of 11,225
The isoregen or other isolation devices indeed can interfere with the SQ. I took out my ifi products as they just change the sound eg warmthen it and degrades the clarity/sound stage. They only work well for a week source.

I was curious about what you said and tried taking out the ISO Regen v2 /w LPS 1.2 before my DI.

Immediately an obvious veil was added, bass became fatter and I could no longer hear the clarity within the timbres of instruments.

It's actually a lot more neutral with the ISO Regen, so mine is back where it always has. YMMV!

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #5,853 of 11,225
TOTALLY AGREED!!! So many people use multiple reclockers- and in my experience it usually damages. My last DAC before I changed over to audio-gd only had coax input; no USB so I used a Shiit Audio Eiter USB to SPDIF converter with built in rechecking. It cost around $100. When I placed the world famous SOTM tx-USB ultra special edition reclocker in front of it with a world class power supply, - the sound changed- but not necessarily for the better. It was a lateral move; a bit smoother and fuller but less crisp. The Regen ISO before the Shiit Eiter really damaged the sound.

Be careful with multiple reclockers. The only device I have found to help under all conditions before every reclocker I have ever had is a "jitterbug"; maybe because it is passive and has no power supply.

The ISO Regen isn't a reclocker, it's a regenerator. The two are very different.

Your Schiit Eitr on the other hand *is* a reclocker.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #5,855 of 11,225
Doesn't it regenerate and the reclock ? been a while since I read these gadgets. I was told after regeneration it has to be reclocked anyway,

The ISO Regen is more like a USB hub, your source (i.e. PC) won't see it. It provides galvanic isolation and regeneration of any input signal, it doesn't reclock anything. As the USB stream is sent asynchronously in isochronous mode, any clocking that occurs is based on the DI clock.

Jan 26, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #5,856 of 11,225
I was curious about what you said and tried taking out the ISO Regen v2 /w LPS 1.2 before my DI.

Immediately an obvious veil was added, bass became fatter and I could no longer hear the clarity within the timbres of instruments.

It's actually a lot more neutral with the ISO Regen, so mine is back where it always has. YMMV!
IT depends on the source of your system and also the DAC (but since we all have the same type of DAC, with great USB bridge, esp your DI, the issue is likely the different source). For me the veil was lifted when I removed such devices. It does come at a cost. You cannot have dirty AC mains or poor LPS or a server that generates lots of noise. Also you would need either a great USB to connect to the DAC/DI or have no USB at all (e.g. I2S direct ). I don't have a source that output I2S. I have tried using no USB (but just a bunch of adaptors and Regen USB adaptor to block out the 5Bus. That actually sounds better than USB cable. Unfortunately I can't connect the Regen adaptor by itself to the DAC due to the cables in the way. I now use an optical USB cable which has some isolation without contaminating the sound.
The clean power if your LPS likely has helped a lot. I did not have this kind of setup and so perhaps if I simulates what you did, it may sound different than what I heard. But I can't be bothered with more devices and LPSs and I think my PC server was not able to detect the DAC once I have a separate power to my iFi Galvanic. So I painfully worked on cleaning up my AC mains and eventually using a power regenerator that seems to do a great job. Hence I can see how the HE products would all turn out great!

Jan 26, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #5,857 of 11,225
The ISO Regen is more like a USB hub, your source (i.e. PC) won't see it. It provides galvanic isolation and regeneration of any input signal, it doesn't reclock anything. As the USB stream is sent asynchronously in isochronous mode, any clocking that occurs is based on the DI clock.
Perhaps, but for sure mine has - IFiGalvanic, it is supposedly similar to the iso Regen., I am not sure if reclock Orr not would make a sonic difference between these 2 devices.

Jan 26, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #5,858 of 11,225
Perhaps, but for sure mine has - IFiGalvanic, it is supposedly similar to the iso Regen., I am not sure if reclock Orr not would make a sonic difference between these 2 devices.

It does look similar, the main difference I can tell is the ifi Galvanic needs a USB cable between it and your DAC or DI. Well the ISO Regen does too but they are shipped with an adapter for direct connection. When I use the adapter that comes along with it, it's very neutral and detailed, when I use an aftermarket USB like a WireWorld (can't remember the model, it's quite old) it became quite warm and bloaty sounding which I don't like.

Both devices can reduce jitter, not through reclocking (at least not the ISO Regen), but through regeneration.

My impression with adding an LPS, it made the Regen sounded about 50% better on all fronts. I heard the improvement is even larger with the older ISO Regen v1 boards.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #5,859 of 11,225
It does look similar, the main difference I can tell is the ifi Galvanic needs a USB cable between it and your DAC or DI. Well the ISO Regen does too but they are shipped with an adapter for direct connection. When I use the adapter that comes along with it, it's very neutral and detailed, when I use an aftermarket USB like a WireWorld (can't remember the model, it's quite old) it became quite warm and bloaty sounding which I don't like.

Both devices can reduce jitter, not through reclocking (at least not the ISO Regen), but through regeneration.

My impression with adding an LPS, it made the Regen sounded about 50% better on all fronts.
yes! I have that Regen adaptor too which really does help and as I said in the separate post above, beats most USB cables. I think I was using that adaptor with my IFI. But I could not power it separately or the PC won't detect the DAC. It could be an issue with my pink faun bridge itself, though it is also powered by my HDplex LPS.

Jan 26, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #5,860 of 11,225
yes! I have that Regen adaptor too which really does help and as I said in the separate post above, beats most USB cables. I think I was using that adaptor with my IFI. But I could not power it separately or the PC won't detect the DAC. It could be an issue with my pink faun bridge itself, though it is also powered by my HDplex LPS.

Ah apologies, I had overlooked your first response. I have a better idea of your setup now.

The ISO Regen has a similar issue when used with an external LPS, but it only happens intermittently. It is a grounding issue on the LPS (which has its earth lifted). I just reset mine when it happens, it used to happen about once per week, but ever since I got the DI it hasn't been happening, could be a coincidence though.

I can understand not wanting to fiddle further with any other gadgets, especially when the sound already synergises perfectly with your setup. I'm like that now, I usually start getting symptoms of upgraditis by now, for the first time in my life I'm actually content with what I have.

Jan 27, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #5,861 of 11,225
i have an ISO Regen otw with their LPS. Looking forward to comparing it against the W4S RUR & iFi Galvanic 3.0 with mercury cable that I have.

The W4S RUR is primarily used atm with a Furutech GT Pro USB cable and the short adaptor that W4S provided.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back