1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

New Audio-gd R7 (R2R 7) & R8 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by Currawong, Jun 30, 2017.
First

Back
369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378
380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389
Next

Last
  1. FredA
    It is a full sounding dac. Not one with much emphasis anywhere, just smooth, resolved, with a lot depth, clear layering and accurate sounstaging. It is a dac that competes in the 10k to 20k range based on all the information out there. Haven't done any direct comparison.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  2. rsbrsvp
    Thanks. How about this Terminator dac from Denefrips? It is only around $1,500 more than the R7-HE and people rave about it.

Has anyone ever heard it and compared it to the R-7HE???

3. FredA
    Some did and prefer the HE. @Jackula will soon compare the two on this thread.

Jackula likes this.
  4. FredA
    I think some prefered the Terminator, but that was before the addition of accusilicons and the update to da-7 boards, besides the fw improvements.

5. Jackula
    I'm still waiting for my speakers and power amps to finish their burn in. What I can say right now is the R7HE is the "price no object" level DAC for people who want a DAC that doesn't alter the original recording. I think some people will agree that the Terminator is subjectively a little nicer sounding, but the R7HE is objectively more accurate.

Mine you, I had an approved 5-figure budget for a DAC. I had auditioned many heavy hitters people would consider "end game".

I didn't really find what I was looking for, and was only coincidence I listened to an Audio-GD R8 and I thought to myself "I'm sold!"

Btw, the Terminator is actually a bit cheaper than the R7HE where I'm from, if you intend on the Terminator, you should be able to get a good discount off retail.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  6. rsbrsvp
    Are you one of those who would hold that the Terminator is a little nicer sounding? Also- What do you mean by nicer sounding? If you had to keep one which would it be?

7. Jackula
    There are two types of audiophiles, the dominant type that wants musicality, the minority type that wants fidelity.

I haven't decided which one to keep yet, not until I've finished my burn in. The R7HE is definitely getting more active use at the moment.

motberg likes this.
  8. rsbrsvp
    Which is the more musical? Thats what I want....

9. Jackula
    Terminator is the subjectively more musical DAC. Of course high fidelity DACs are also musical but it is in a different way.

Kingwa also makes a musical DAC based on the TDA chip. Might be worthwhile looking into it if you're going down that path.

Also look into the TotalDAC core, it's about the same price and is more musical than the Terminator.

10. FredA
    The r7he aims at sounding like reality. For me this also the most musical.

11. Jackula
    True for me too, that's why I said fidelity is musical in a different way.

Live bands are musical, but in the context of musical DACs, they intend to make the recording sound better than it is. Tube amps are classic musical amplifiers, intended to make music less real but more pleasing in sound.

But for individuals like myself and @FredA we prefer music as if they are real - aka high fidelity.

FredA likes this.
  12. FredA
    The di20-he with the r7-he is such an awesome combination, even though the di-20he is breaking in and fluctuates, it reaches heights i had never heard before. It is the pure joy of listening to music, a direct soul to soul connection with the musicians. It is a no-brainer. It can't get much better than this, and especially with the external ocxo at the current state of burn-in. If you intend to do listening through speakers, the experience becomes even more intense as iimaging gets to a whole new level.

13. remoss
  14. FredA
    Nice review. Too bad you don't comment on the di-he with the external clock. Surprising results. nonetheless, i would have expected the di20-he too easily beat the su-1 as it does beat the u16.

15. rsbrsvp
    Is the Yggy high fidelity? Because I owned one and was NOT pleased. Yes- the detail was great- but it was dry, sterile, kind of metallic. If high fidelity- accuracy without coloration sounds like a yggy- than it is not for me. I am looking a smoother, fuller, rounder, more analogue sound. I once tried a Mojo Audio Mystique V3 and this was just right- but I don't want to pay $7,000.

First

Back
369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378
380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389
Next

Last