1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

New Audio-gd R7 (R2R 7) & R8 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by Currawong, Jun 30, 2017.
First

Back
342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351
353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362
Next

Last
  1. DACLadder
    Seems to be only one version going forward. Kingwa threw out a smooth version early to see if users liked it better (tone wise) than the regular version. Write Kingwa an Email if you like Smooth.

2. Turdski
    Ah, okay. Interesting.

I quite enjoy/prefer V3A, and haven't bothered with the 'Asy' one yet. Was just hoping there wouldn't only be a smooth version from now on.

3. FredA
    Warming up my gears now. So far so good. The sound is very similar to dsdclk. Perhaps with even better depth. Too soon to the call.

4. FredA
    The last tda versions are smoother than v3a. And overall better anyway.

5. FredA
    If my hearing is good this morning, which i think it is, this new fw with spdif dop support has even a tad more clarity and depth than dsdclk. It is like an improved tda_asy3, meaning it a bit more bright than dsdclk. The treble quality is in any case pretty much flawless. It is true from the whole spectrum, all very nice. I will listen through the blon B8 to confirm.

Maybe just a tad too bright through the b8s if i want to be critical. But such great definition and lots of air. Too soon again to make a definitive call.

6. DACLadder
    I'll give DoP firmware another try for longer period of time. I am finding that I have to give auditions more time than the pace Kingwa cranks out new versions! A few minutes is not enough time to fully evaluate.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  7. FredA
    It seems like King
    No. Just moving the interconnects like i did will have an impact on sound for some time.

I feel like there is a quite more energy in the upper mids and bass, as i suggested. This make the sound clearer and more dynamic. It is nice but probably a bit too much in the uppper mids, as i feel the sound is a bit fatiguing. I would say it is the most dynamic sound i have heard with my full audio-gd setup, but it is a bit too much again. As for bass, it seems rather well tuned.

The ideal sound would be somewhere in between with dsdclk. Mid range is a bit recessed. The sound is too fatiguing and not organic enough.

8. FredA
    The u16 is requiring constant rebooting this morning. I am about to throw it in the garbage can. Least robust ddc i have ever tried, and by miles...

9. DACLadder
    @FredA I switched back the the SU-6. There is less variation between sources with these parallel firmware files so the need for the U16's slightly better performance is really not noticed.

Now that I have the Aurender/SU-6/R7 playing great together there is some much less transient noises switching PCM sampling rates and to/from DSD using the parallel firmware. No more diving for the volume control when songs finish! Kingwa's hard work has paid off here. I can mix format playlists without any concern for blowing tweeters. Yeah!

10. FredA
    I gave up testing dsd with the u16 as going from pcm to dsd would result in heave noise. Maybe this has been addressed.

I confirmed what i said earlier: adding upper mids and bass was a move in the right direction, but both increases are a little too much. I would have gone half way. I now have to lower the volume by 2-3 increments as perceived loudness has augmented compared to dsdclk. Overall i prefer tda_asy3 and dsdclk.

11. davidnow
    Hi,
    I remember Kingwa adviced not to upgrade M7S to tda firmware as it would probably result in a too warm sound. Hope my memory is right... So i thought V3 would be the last fw for M7S.
    Has anybody tried the parallel fw with M7S though?
    Best
    David

12. DACLadder
    @davidnow Absolutely wonderful with the M7S and upgraded Accusilicon XOs.

comzee likes this.
  13. davidnow
    @DACLadder Thanks! i upgraded to Accusilicon and will give new fw a try !

14. Jackula
    Since I have two, I put them on the RCA output on my DAC, one per channel. I now use the RCA output (as opposed to XLR) of my DAC since it sounds much better and I'm not running long distances, however it does mean the signal has to go through the phase splitter on the HE9. I haven't tried putting them on XLR, I think you would need 2 per channel for that.

15. FredA
    I like NOS better with the latest fw. Still very dynamic, and soundstaging is superior. A little less bright. Not as fatiguing. Big bass. A little too big maybe.

But still, I think i will revert to dsdclk. I can't believe i find the sound too dynamic now...

First

Back
342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351
353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362
Next

Last