New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Sep 26, 2019 at 12:28 AM Post #5,041 of 11,246
3-4 months! Looks like it will be a perpetual burn-in if Kingwa comes up with other new hardware mods! Hopefully not. I am glad at least I got all the upgrades at once or it will need burning in for entire yr if I upgrade it bit by bit !
OS X 8 mode so far is much more tolerable.

Don't worry. It is absolutely worth it... It matures gradually. Just sit back and enjoy the ride..
/Jan

Sep 26, 2019 at 1:40 AM Post #5,042 of 11,246
3-4 months! Looks like it will be a perpetual burn-in if Kingwa comes up with other new hardware mods! Hopefully not. I am glad at least I got all the upgrades at once or it will need burning in for entire yr if I upgrade it bit by bit !
OS X 8 mode so far is much more tolerable.

Just a wild guess based on my experiences and reading, but I would think at least 75% of the current raw condition is the F1, and that should be much better after 150 hrs or so...
Thanks for reporting your results :beerchug:

Sep 28, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #5,045 of 11,246
FYI

Kingwa is working on a version of R7 to have 10MHz external clock in.

The parallell processing working with PLL will be able to get running with a fw-upgrade. The 10MHz external XO input will need a hardware add on and a new FPGA, CLPD and MCU programming (display board). We have to wait for a while, Kingwa still has alot of work with this before it is ready for us.
/Jan

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #5,047 of 11,246
FYI

Kingwa is working on a version of R7 to have 10MHz external clock in.
Wow! I just got mine back with the updated panel to R7 and now there will be another updated panel soon ??? Looks like this upgrade ins never ending..... but I am welcoming an external clock which I have contemplated wanting one. Now we can use an external master clock which I suspect perhaps Kingwa is wanting to use one to clock the DAC together with a DDC or a USB bridge that accepts Mck? I wonder if this also means one can clock 3 R2R DACs together for multichannel playback ??

After few days of burning in the Magnafied R7 is getting much better, at least for DSD, and I have noticed great improvement with some of the not so good DSD recordings, now sounding much better, more refined and much less grain with better focus etc.. KIngwa likely has upgraded the digital filter for DSD quite a bit. I will evaluate PCM later as I feel that requires more burning in as it uses the entire R2R board.

Sep 30, 2019 at 3:11 AM Post #5,049 of 11,246
I meant for an upgrade solution for our older R2R-7, R7 and HE siblings. Sorry for beeing unclear.
/Jan

Ah no worries, I misunderstood. Also Kingwa called it his 2020 model which freaked me out since I'm planning to buy a set in November.

Kingwa's DDC will likely have a matching 10M output clock.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #5,052 of 11,246
Damn! I just got my panel upgrade and so to do another upgrade for 10M means one has to change the front panel again ?

The forum member was talking about the rumored new AGD DDC that needs a different front panel if the old Di box is reused.

If required for a DYI 10Mhz change I will steal one of the S/PDIF connectors for clock input. But need to swap out for 50 ohm socket if that impedance is used.

Sep 30, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #5,053 of 11,246
The forum member was talking about the rumored new AGD DDC that needs a different front panel if the old Di box is reused.

If required for a DYI 10Mhz change I will steal one of the S/PDIF connectors for clock input. But need to swap out for 50 ohm socket if that impedance is used.
Ok so what would the new R710Mhz require for the mod??? I hope can be done as DIY without the need to send the DAC again for mod!

Sep 30, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #5,055 of 11,246
The parallell processing working with PLL will be able to get running with a fw-upgrade. The 10MHz external XO input will need a hardware add on and a new FPGA, CLPD and MCU programming (display board). We have to wait for a while, Kingwa still has alot of work with this before it is ready for us.
/Jan
I just clicked. You mean all will be done through software, besides the fact that an spdif input has to be sacrificed to be used as a 50ohm clock input. Or 75 ohm. If so, i will likely get rid of the optical.

Or there are three other spdif inputs, so i suppose one of them could go. This is great news!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back