New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Aug 17, 2019 at 1:04 AM Post #4,906 of 11,225
I checked the web site for Aurender, and its idea is similar to what PC builders for music try to do. It uses a Cache technique where I presume music is temporarily loaded to be played and is away from the HDD. I presume the cache is in the less noisy SSD ? This I suppose would isolate the noise of the HDD by putting music to be played in separate SSD. I am not sure where the Software for playing music is if one were to play the music in the Aurender instead if using NAS, roon etc, but presumably it is also in the SSD ?
My PC does not have HDD and euphony I use (in the SDD) also uses the Ecache to have music loaded into the SSD. I would attach my external HDD. load the music to the Ecache in the SDD and then I would detach the HDD altogether (though I use a USB filter that seems to eliminate most of the noise coming from the HDD anyway, as I don't hear much difference now with HDD attached vs detached).
Is the aurrender using an uttracap LPS ? (I think I saw it somewhere)
I presume it has a nice USB bridge with a separate clock with separate LPS ??
Are the other outputs e.g Coax,toslink also clocked ?

I've always wondered what advantage a music server would have over a PC setup, for example I have a lower end intel N4200 passively cooled 11.6" display laptop with an internal SSD feeding my R8 via USB, attached to the laptop is a 2TB external SSD which has all my music on it, if I wish I can even disconnect the power supply of the laptop and have it run on battery, which I haven't tried yet but I doubt I would hear a difference, it runs linux headless and uses MPD which I control from an app on my phone.

Aug 17, 2019 at 1:24 AM Post #4,908 of 11,225
@guzz46
Not sure of what improvements you would see compared to your current setup. I went from a homebuilt desktop with noisy fans, HHDs, USB, power supply and I don't know what else. The Aurender got rid of all the silibants in voices, HF glare, harsh strings and brass. I also can't believe how great Tidal sounds now. All of a sudden, I'm no longer looking for a way to improve the sound of my digital music and I am instead listening to music eight to twelve hours a day and diverting my dollars to repair my turntable cartridge so I can again listen to my analog setup which I've ignored for years.

Aug 17, 2019 at 1:25 AM Post #4,909 of 11,225
I've always wondered what advantage a music server would have over a PC setup, for example I have a lower end intel N4200 passively cooled 11.6" display laptop with an internal SSD feeding my R8 via USB, attached to the laptop is a 2TB external SSD which has all my music on it, if I wish I can even disconnect the power supply of the laptop and have it run on battery, which I haven't tried yet but I doubt I would hear a difference, it runs linux headless and uses MPD which I control from an app on my phone.
Well, it depends on what type of PC, if you can have LPS to your PC/Laptop that would make a huge difference. Put in a USB or Coax bridge onto your laptop would make a difference too (and if you want an external OCXO clock too for the bridge?!). but then it may get more expensive. If the external SSD is isolated (e.g. using a USB filter) then it does not make much difference when attached to the laptop.
I tried running on battery on a laptop in the past, but it it is less stable (though usually sounds better) and has less power/dynamics/punch.
Using a PC, preferably a silent PC can approach what is done with commercial products. In fact I think the commercial products learn from the tricks that DIYers use for their PC, the concept is similar - using no HDD or having it isolated. Use silent fanless device, LPS, great clocks for individual outputs.
Advantage of commercial products - neat single box with everything you need
Disadvantage - probably cannot upgrade yourself easily

Advantage of DIY PC players - perhaps cheaper, can be upgraded easier, you can change clock, bridge, add bridge, change wiring, etc
Disadvantage - may not be able to fit all in a box, e.g LPS is usually external as you would choose a separate one to match the PC. But this can be advantage in terms of upgrade by changing LPS. It looks ugly, not professional looking, bulky. (wife may not approve etc)

Aug 17, 2019 at 1:31 AM Post #4,910 of 11,225
Look at my HDPLEX PC, not exactly state of the art looking. The aurrender on other hand is beautiful and sleek. oh I left the USB attached to the PC, You can see the USB filter there that blocks the HDD noise. I don't have my external HDD attached in the pic.

IMG_1101.jpg

Aug 17, 2019 at 1:35 AM Post #4,911 of 11,225
@guzz46
Not sure of what improvements you would see compared to your current setup. I went from a homebuilt desktop with noisy fans, HHDs, USB, power supply and I don't know what else. The Aurender got rid of all the silibants in voices, HF glare, harsh strings and brass. I also can't believe how great Tidal sounds now. All of a sudden, I'm no longer looking for a way to improve the sound of my digital music and I am instead listening to music eight to twelve hours a day and diverting my dollars to repair my turntable cartridge so I can again listen to my analog setup which I've ignored for years.
That is the point. The aurrender is a much low noise PC with great clocks so can't compare with a noisy PC. But a silent PC can approach that of Aurrender.

Another advantage of DIY PC is you can screw around a lot with different OS and playback software etc. like audio linux, euphony, Windows + fidelizer, HQplayer etc.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2019 at 6:06 AM Post #4,913 of 11,225
On my side, Roon has solved all my issues. Installed on a dedicated old MacBook Air, it overcomes all that I have had before. The remote app is awesome and connected with Qobuz (I live in France) the "radio" mode is amazingly great. For sure an expensive app, but it worths her price in my opinion.

I listened to an aurender by the past, don't remember the model, and it was great. Probably the best I have heard. Congrats for the acquisition :)

I received this morning a brand new HD660s, that I didn't like by the past (I'm mainly into Beyerdynamic headphones)... With the audio-gd rig, I love it now! Thank you Mr Kingwa, you are a star

Edit : I'm also using acss cable between the R8 and the M9, the simple one from Audio-gd, and, it's for me a no way back experience! Better than xlr to my ears.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2019 at 6:39 AM Post #4,914 of 11,225
I noticed recently fooling around with various preamps, to me ACSS (vs. XLR) sounds much closer in clearness and tone to a SE passive preamp - but ACSS offers more dynamics and texture over the passives I have tried. Have you ever settled on a preferred cable for ACSS? was it silver litz ? shorter helps? Thanks....
Right now, i am using the Valab silver litz between the he9 and m3. It is not totally burned yet, it misses about 100 bours. It is only 0.5m long. It is much better than any other cable i tried, including its xlr version in one meter. Total price of 100usd with a set of Neutriks. One important mention, the enamel has to be burned, sanded off, and the wire a to be tinned before soldering. Another difficulty is the Neutrik's is too small, you have to remove the jacket to pass the wire through.

Aug 17, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #4,915 of 11,225
@Tango Sierra For Aurender USB/ power cables I am using my old Pangea USB (ver 2) and power cables for the moment. I have it out on my desk until I can find a place for it so need longer cables. I don't get too excited about power cables when fed from a power conditioner and cables are short. But definitely understand the supplied plastic power cables are generally junk. For Ethernet I am just using Amazon daily specials! If I can transfer 1TB of data without error then that is good enough for now.

I am sure if I had a stack of cables I could find ones that I like better. I am such a cheapskate that I refuse to purchase cables just too try. I take Fred's word though as the Valab silver litz XLRs are quite good. Take forever to break in. He suggested a silver USB cable a while back so may try that one as well.

What are you using?

Aug 17, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #4,916 of 11,225
Is the aurrender using an uttracap LPS ? (I think I saw it somewhere)
I presume it has a nice USB bridge with the OCXO clock with separate LPS ??
The other outputs e.g Coax,toslink also clocked with the OCXO too, correct ?

The Aurender that @Tango Sierra and I have (N100H) is the lowest priced Aurender. It just has a built-in linear power supply and regular clocks. And the N100Hs have only one USB output. If you need S/PDIF you can order the N100C. Higher priced Aurenders have more expensive options (multiple drives, OCXOs, etc) and additional outputs.

The Aurender caches and plays music from a built-in SSD drive. All music is transferred from the large, internal spindle drive to the SSD for playback. Same if using external NAS.

Aug 17, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #4,917 of 11,225
@DACLadder
All the cables I use are in my signature.
The headphones and HP amp you use must sound like a match made in heaven.
Enjoy the music!

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #4,918 of 11,225
@DACLadder
All the cables I use are in my signature.
The headphones and HP amp you use must sound like a match made in heaven.
Enjoy the music!

I will have a look at your cables! I do use a Moon audio headphone cable which is my most expensive. Next most expensive is the WW 0.3m Silver Starlight 6 HDMI cable. The headphones driven from the speaker terminals of the Mac have great synergy. I have other Furukawa power cables but the connectors are so large I can’t connect currently.

Aug 17, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #4,919 of 11,225
The Aurender that @Tango Sierra and I have (N100H) is the lowest priced Aurender. It just has a built-in linear power supply and regular clocks. And the N100Hs have only one USB output. If you need S/PDIF you can order the N100C. Higher priced Aurenders have more expensive options (multiple drives, OCXOs, etc) and additional outputs.

The Aurender caches and plays music from a built-in SSD drive. All music is transferred from the large, internal spindle drive to the SSD for playback. Same if using external NAS.
I see, hence the $8000 cost. Now is it true the aurrender can only do DSD128 even from the USB? That sucks, esp if one were to pay that price

Aug 17, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #4,920 of 11,225
6B5EE97B-0361-48BD-A729-C5AFEA0F887B.jpeg

My R7HE has arrived. Lucky with the timing of my order, Kingwa uprated the transformers spec last month for extended operating duration. Will reconfigure my gear and rack soon, just pulled out the Master-11S for now but it will go back in and both DACs will be fed by the Singxer SU-6. Happy days ahead , loving the sound of the R7HE already :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back