New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Aug 1, 2019 at 12:16 AM Post #4,712 of 11,259
Aug 1, 2019 at 6:51 AM Post #4,713 of 11,259
It looks like I need to register for an account with Intel. Am I missing where I should be downloading 12.1 Web Edition?

Thank you. I can't seem to remove the cable to swap out the pins. I'll try again tomorrow.
Yes you have to register, a pain. Don't download everything. Just the programmer is needed. Try this link:

https://www.altera.com/downloads/software/prog-software/121.html

To run the programmer: ? \altera\12.1\qprogrammer\bin\quartus_pgmw.exe

On most connectors, there is a locking mechanism. There could be glue to scrap off the connector too. Can't help you as i haven't got a r8. Anyone?

There is also a trick to get the wires out. Normally, you can see the contacts from the side once the connector once out of the socket. You have to apply some pressure on them with with a small enough flat screwdriver to be able to pull a wire out.

Get help from a tech. If needed.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #4,714 of 11,259
Yes you have to register, a pain. Don't download everything. Just the programmer is needed. Try this link:

https://www.altera.com/downloads/software/prog-software/121.html

To run the programmer: ? \altera\12.1\qprogrammer\bin\quartus_pgmw.exe

On most connectors, there is a locking mechanism. There could be glue to scrap off the connector too. Can't help you as i haven't got a r8. Anyone?

There is also a trick to get the wires out. Normally, you can see the contacts from the side once the connector once out of the socket. You have to apply some pressure on them with with a small enough flat screwdriver to be able to pull a wire out.

Get help from a tech. If needed.
Thanks for your help with this. I think I need to find some solvent to remove the glue before pulling the connector out.

Aug 1, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #4,715 of 11,259
@anroj I updated some of the R8 rework instructions for swapping two wires on the HDMI I2S connector. The white connector (with the wires) is glued to the mating board connector so they don't fall off in shipping. To remove the connector piece with the wires you need to first run a thin blade around all four sides of the perimeter to break a glue bond holding it in place (photo 3). An Xacto-type blade is perfect for this task. Solvent is not needed as the glue bond is not very strong. The connector will pull off when not held by glue. Just takes a little patience! If you feel uncomfortable you should get some help! You don't want to damage your DAC!

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #4,716 of 11,259
I updated some of the R8 rework instructions for swapping two wires on the HDMI I2S connector. The white connector (with the wires) is glued to the mating board connector so they don't fall off in shipping. To remove the connector piece with the wires you need to first run a thin blade around all four sides of the perimeter to break a glue bond holding it in place (photo 3). An Xacto-type blade is perfect for this task. Solvent is not needed as the glue bond is not very strong. The connector will pull off when not held by glue. Just takes a little patience! If you feel uncomfortable you should get some help! You don't want to damage your DAC!
Awesome! Thank you for the follow up. I will give it a try. You are right, I definitely don't want to damage my R8.

Aug 1, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #4,717 of 11,259
@anroj And when removing the two wires you push down (lightly) on a spring tabs holding the pins in place. You don't want to break the tabs (circled in photo 6). The tabs aren't very "springy" and you may need to pry them back up a bit when reinserting. Be very careful prying up the pin tabs. Over the years I have broken many tabs doing this in a hurry. Light touch and patience!

Aug 1, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #4,718 of 11,259
There is version 16.0 Altera programming SW on the cloud server. Standalone programmer SW that requires no license to run or account to download. The menus and setups may be slightly different than described in Version 12 instructions provided by Kingwa. But basically same method though. 64-bit version runs without error on Windows 10.

Altera 16.0 Programming SW. Choose Quartus 64 or 32-bit installation...
https://onedrive.live.com/?id=636DC4E8060D66A1!321&cid=636DC4E8060D66A1

Aug 1, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #4,719 of 11,259
@anroj And when removing the two wires you push down (lightly) on a spring tabs holding the pins in place. You don't want to break the tabs (circled in photo 6). The tabs aren't very "springy" and you may need to pry them back up a bit when reinserting. Be very careful prying up the pin tabs. Over the years I have broken many tabs doing this in a hurry. Light touch and patience!
I can't seem to get the connector to release so I'm going to take the R8 to an audio repair shop that I have used in the past to get that part done as I don't want to damage anything.

Aug 2, 2019 at 1:54 AM Post #4,722 of 11,259
I will try FW R8_Asy3 also, but i have 2 HDMI I2S Cards on Input 4 and Input 5 running with TDA-asy.
I have first to ensure that it will work with MCLK in BCK...on both inputs.
The DA-V2 boards are still not burned in...one day the soundstage is incredible deep and wide, next day it is as before...

Aug 2, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #4,724 of 11,259
Thanks @DACLadder! Gonna load this in the afternoon. I have the R7 with I2S on input 4, i assume that after i load this new firmware the manual HERE is valid?

The functions are identical with older TDA Asy. The updated document "R2R7settingguide.htm", included in the cloud link, is specific for Asy3 and includes actual jumpers beside the function descriptions. Be sure to get the jumper location picture as well - "R2Rsetting.jpg". Move these two files to a local directory. Then opening the .htm file with a Web browser will also display the jumper mapping .jpg file as well.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #4,725 of 11,259
The asy firmware loaded just fine! I don't use jumpers because i have a new frontpanel with the buttons, works like a charm.
NOS mode is stil my favorite at the moment.

Edit: i never used older asy firmware. Previous i used the "old V3" firmware. So it's my first asy run :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• PLGA
Back