New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jul 29, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #4,636 of 11,233
To each his own scale. It is all very subjective. The law of diminishing return. Based on sound quality, i would say the r7he is worth twice what the r7 costs.. Some would say 4 times. Depends on how good the power grid is in your location and other power-related considerations.

That's what I said - if you're already used to the non-HE sound, it will be a big jump.

Have gou a/b-ied them all?

No, but I've known people who compared a non-HE and HE version side by side and couldn't hear any differences and I've known people who heard both variations after owning the non-HE for awhile and reporting a big jump in SQ.

I asked Kingwa about it and 5% is what he quoted between versions as the "real" difference, but subjective differences are much bigger especially when you've owned the non-HE previously.

Jul 29, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #4,637 of 11,233
That's what I said - if you're already used to the non-HE sound, it will be a big jump.

No, but I've known people who compared a non-HE and HE version side by side and couldn't hear any differences and I've known people who heard both variations after owning the non-HE for awhile and reporting a big jump in SQ.

I asked Kingwa about it and 5% is what he quoted between versions as the "real" difference, but subjective differences are much bigger especially when you've owned the non-HE previously.

Yep, makes sense.

All i can say for sure is the r7he is well worth the asking price and i don't regret for one second buying it.

Jul 29, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #4,638 of 11,233
I asked Kingwa to describe the sound differences between the similarly priced R8HE and standard R7. He backs up the 200% improvement in the sound going standard to HE. And considers the R8HE the better sounding of the R8HE vs standard R7 match-up. That is huge news! Stop the presses!
---------------------------------------------

Dear Scott,

In my mind, I am consider the HE power can boost the sound improves to 200% of the original non HE power unit. Fred (@FredA) own the R7HE and R7, you may can ask him how to rate the level.

I am consider the R8 HE sound obvious better than the R7.

Kingwa

Jul 29, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #4,640 of 11,233
I asked Kingwa to describe the sound differences between the similarly priced R8HE and standard R7. He backs up the 200% improvement in the sound going standard to HE. And considers the R8HE the better sounding of the R8HE vs standard R7 match-up. That is huge news! Stop the presses!
---------------------------------------------

Dear Scott,

In my mind, I am consider the HE power can boost the sound improves to 200% of the original non HE power unit. Fred (@FredA) own the R7HE and R7, you may can ask him how to rate the level.

I am consider the R8 HE sound obvious better than the R7.

Kingwa
What is hard for me to quantify in the upgrade i had is the share coming from the Accusllilicons and v2 da7 boards vs what the regen. psu brings. But all in all, with break in, i would say the difference between my non upgraded r7 and the HE is over 4 notches, which for me is very big. For instance, i would say going from the Singxer f1 to the u16 is a full notch.

The upgrade is not just with resolution, i.e.hearing more details, the sounstage is deeper,, wider, and the tonal balance is better, meaning it sounds fuller. And finally, the highs are so silky smooth that i consider they are as good as those of a great turntable.

But all that said, the transport remains very important to maximize sound quality. And my setup is entirely acss and without feedback. None of the component downstream has any harshness. Take this into account.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #4,642 of 11,233
Kingwa wanted me to pass along a message to our R2R 7/ R7 users that have been patiently waiting for TDA-type firmware that supports I2S on IN 4... Coming very soon!

And new R7 trial firmware is available that enhances DSD performance especially with Singxer DDCs. It fixes DSD playback "birdies" issue I had on any speed with the original TDA Asy. Works OK with F1 and SU-6.

If you have R7 DSD playback issues and want to give the firmware a try just find and download Altera file "R7_asy3.jic" in the link below. I assume standard jumper functions (but TBD). Sounds good on PCM OS 8x so I'm just leaving it loaded for now. And DSD works better. Just a glimpse at things to come.
https://onedrive.live.com/?id=636DC4E8060D66A1!313&cid=636DC4E8060D66A1

Jul 29, 2019 at 11:16 PM Post #4,647 of 11,233
@mivarpet Wait a minute... How can you post a reply to my message at 8:08pm and my message arrives later at 8:09pm??? Plenty weird! (Not really I double posted).

I like PCM a lot with 'r7_asy3' f/w. I don't know what firmware I had prior but this latest firmware sounds great in comparison.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #4,648 of 11,233
@DACLadder a quick responses is easy - 1) obsessively check this forum and 2) reply to the first post not the second :relaxed:

I'll give the new firmware a try tonight when I'm not supposed to be working.

Thanks again Scott for all the value you add to the forum with firmware and advice!

Jul 29, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #4,649 of 11,233
Another point about the r7, on given nights, it would be just perfect cause the grid would offer cleaner power. So basically, whatever means you can use to have clean power can help bridge the gap. The thing is you may have to spend some serious money. That is not to say there is no variability with the HE, just less of it. The bad nights are still good, the best nights are even better. On average, it is 4 notches better IMO.

Jul 29, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #4,650 of 11,233
@mivarpet Wait a minute... How can you post a reply to my message at 8:08pm and my message arrives later at 8:09pm??? Plenty weird! (Not really I double posted).

I like PCM a lot with 'r7_asy3' f/w. I don't know what firmware I had prior but this latest firmware sounds great in comparison.
Is the new fw purely asynch, or does it combine the synch. variation? I should give it a try soon. Upgrades are always welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back