New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jul 15, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #4,548 of 11,259
Hmm... I have listened to balanced XLR outputs on my DACs for about two years. And do not hear noise or distortions in normal use.

Assuming cables are good... distortion on the loudest passages of music is sometimes a result of signal clipping. The R7 is speced an output level of 5V balanced and half of that (2.5V) for single ended. XLR outputs may overload the input stage of the preamp or amp where it connects. But single ended, with less level, sounds better. 5V rms = +14 dBv which is a very healthy signal level.

Ruling out clipping issue or cables... the single ended outputs on all my AGD DACs are actually the same signal as the balanced pair's XLR (+) signal. So any distortion, if OK single ended, would logically be on the XLR (-) signal.?? And a different DAC may output less signal level and sound better (less clipping). Hope this helps and remotely could be a fault with your R7 but this would be a rare problem.
Never mind, I think the culprit is my tube amp as I have switched to solid state amp and the clipping type distortions are gone but for the bad recordings I can still hear some buzziness/minor distortions. So I was confused for a while since it was hard to differentiate the distortions from recordings itself from external ones, but I think probably as the tube deteriorates the clipping becomes more obvious with time.

Jul 16, 2019 at 4:08 AM Post #4,549 of 11,259
So what's the best $10k dac these days? Please don't say Dave.. -_-

Ok, M Scaler + Hugo 2 or TT 2. It would be interesting, actually, to try an M Scaler with an Audio-gd DAC, but I'd probably have to ask Kingwa if it were possible to program two coax inputs to be able to receive the output of it. I'm not sure it would be of great benefit over a good up-sampler, as it is on the Chord DACs though.

Jul 16, 2019 at 4:21 AM Post #4,550 of 11,259
Today i upgraded the V2 in the R8. Sucked the solder out of the new Boards, flip them around, and there you go...easy task.
It is even not necessary to label the wires...
First impression...waiting for burn in is mandatory.

DSC05864.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 5:17 AM Post #4,551 of 11,259
Well done!! I’ve just completed the V2 upgrade in my R7 - I found it a little stressful with so little slack in the wires. I didn’t label them but found I kept checking and checking to make sure they were in the right order, not a great idea with the cabling being quite stiff (more stress). But a great project to get my solder confidence back up - so great to get back into soldering again.
Next - update to the tda fw and let things settle. I was blown away by the v3 NOS 3 so can’t wait to hear how things sound with tda.
Currently with just turning on upgraded DAC with the existing v3 fw - I still prefer the NOS 3, but the playback feels a little laid back, smoother than the previous V1 boards, but still made me want to keep listening - always a good sign in my books.

Jul 16, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #4,552 of 11,259
I can't move from tda asy, due to two i2s hdmi cards ...the input 5 is only with tda asy able to manage i2s direct from the hdmi card...
Soundwise tda is my favorite, soundstage with new v2 boards is still smaller, and the highs still harsher...but not burned in yet...this should develop...
I checked the cable order twice and again, i know exactly what you mean:beyersmile::beyersmile::beyersmile:.

Jul 16, 2019 at 7:29 AM Post #4,553 of 11,259
Ok, M Scaler + Hugo 2 or TT 2. It would be interesting, actually, to try an M Scaler with an Audio-gd DAC, but I'd probably have to ask Kingwa if it were possible to program two coax inputs to be able to receive the output of it. I'm not sure it would be of great benefit over a good up-sampler, as it is on the Chord DACs though.

I've spent a fair amount of time listening to a Dave + Blu Mscaler at a friend's shop, and also have heard the Hugo TT2+ Mscaler.

Haven't felt any need to buy Chord products. Will leave it at that :wink:

Jul 16, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #4,554 of 11,259
I forgt to mention, no chord DACs please.. Just no..

Jul 16, 2019 at 8:31 PM Post #4,556 of 11,259
The r7-he is quite the music-making machine on the other hand. B9-AM7-Gdim7-C-C7, bass drum kick, snares, guitar picking, bass riff, vibraphone in verve. Thanks also to Bag and Wes for being there... The R7-HE, the beefy time machine, transports me to Music Paradise... Who needs a spacecraft dac, there is no music in space... :triportsad:
:smile_phones:

Jul 17, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #4,557 of 11,259
Who needs upsampling with the hardware mods? Been using the R7's OS 1x mode (TDA Asy f/w) the past few days and CDs sound great! In comparison OS 8x tends to exaggerate while OS 1x is more relaxed but in a natural way. There is no lack of detail or soundstage width with OS 1x. Bass drive and rhythm are plenty good. May not be your cup of tea but give it a try sometime...

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #4,558 of 11,259
There is a review online on the Hugo 2 in which the reviewer complains about a cruel lack of musicality. This dac seems to polarize opinions. Some love it, some hate it.

I was listening with the R28 a couple of days ago. I can see how people can feel a preference for R2R DACs. The Hugo 2 is a tricky one. Being portable, it ends up being transport-sensitive, but also, being absolutely linear, there's very much a sense of getting what you get. With high-quality acoustic recordings, the reproduction of instruments is phenomenal. There are times though I prefer the harmonic richness of an R2R DAC.

Jul 17, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #4,559 of 11,259
I was listening with the R28 a couple of days ago. I can see how people can feel a preference for R2R DACs. The Hugo 2 is a tricky one. Being portable, it ends up being transport-sensitive, but also, being absolutely linear, there's very much a sense of getting what you get. With high-quality acoustic recordings, the reproduction of instruments is phenomenal. There are times though I prefer the harmonic richness of an R2R DAC.
Of course, there is matter of tastes. Musicality is great with the HE and accuracy is excellent too, though the Hugo is likely more detailed. In any case, the r7 gives you much realism. The instruments must sound rich cause they do in real life iMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back