1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

New Audio-gd R7 (R2R 7) & R8 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by Currawong, Jun 30, 2017.
First

Back
281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290
292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301
Next

Last
  1. FredA
    Exactly. Which makes me wonder how Tenderly will sound with the R7-HE. Really, this is my benchmark album. First time i listened to it on a real high-end DAC, i was blown away. I did not think much of it before. This album is hard to reproduce properly, but boy does it scale up when an upgrade is done.

2. anroj
    Is that the George Benson album Tenderly? I haven't listened to it through my setup yet, but now that I'm thinking about it, I'll listen tonight. I'm sure you will have a lot of fun finding out with theR7-HE :) My budget and wife won't let me even consider that yet.

3. FredA
    No. Oscar Peterson.

I wanted to upgrade to the v2 boards and Accusilicons. And my DIY skills are declining. I thought, what the heck! I will just sell my r7.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  4. Chopin75
    Even numerous modern Classical recordings suffer, probably not so much with compression (they don't compress them), but with balancing/natural sounding quality. Chamber music and small ensemble jazz recordings tend to suffer less as there are fewer instrument to balance so they can do less editing and often can get excellent DSD recordings (or analogue ---> DSD) but with large scale orchestra it is more difficult so results can be worse than the early digital or even analogue days! Trying to use DAW (digital audio workshop) to adjust the balance of instruments instead of doing real life balancing in the studio is just not as good, giving unnatural sound quality, losing the air between the notes etc.

Some DSD recordings suffer because the entire track is converted to PCM for editing. This can degrade the sound.

So DSD---> PCM ---> DSD for album release is not as good as : DSD ---> minimal PCM edit on certain sections ---> DSD for album release

DXD ---> DSD for release vs DXD master, a debate as to which one is better .

You can sometimes buy the DXD master before it gets reconverted to DSD, and can test how it sounds compared with the DSD.

Turdski and FredA like this.
  5. DACLadder
    I think the word is getting out. Looking at the Audio GD shipping logs sales look brisk for June 2019. Three R-7HEs plus two R7s have shipped so far this month. Several R8s and a few R27s. Plus dozens of R11s, NFBs, and everything else. Accusilcons are included on many of the shipped products especially at the higher end.

Being in the USA I am hopeful US trade tariffs don't impact pricing. But as a precaution I ordered another set of Accusilicons today for my old M7S. I am cheap and don't want to pay 10% extra to cover for some future tariff.

FredA likes this.
  6. anroj
    I don't own it but I'm sure it's available on Tidal so I will give it a listen.

7. FredA
    If you like old jazz, this album should please you.

8. anroj
    I definitely do and I love Oscar Peterson. One of Canada's finest.

9. DACLadder
    Return of old V1 DAC modules to China... On the recent V2 DAC module exchange program Instead of sending back the old V1 modules Kingwa allowed me to just pay a small fraction of the retail price and just keep the old V1 modules. Price was negotiable and based upoh the actual cost of shipping back the old units from my location. Inquire with Kingwa if curious.

10. DACLadder
    The Singxer SU-6 has transformed into a great DDC. After about 6/7-wks break-in I cannot tell a difference (soundwise) between Gustard U16 and SU-6.

motberg and Chopin75 like this.
  11. Chopin75
    Good to know! Singxur 6 would be a logical replacement of my F-1 as I can’t deal with the issue with Gustard. I need to play PCM/DSD/DXD flawlessly. The singxur 6 can do DSD512?

12. DACLadder
    @Chopin75 In PCM operation the SU-6 functions the same as the SU-1/ F1. Even uses the same Windows driver so is a drop-in replacement. The Singxers work flawlessly with my PCs.

The Gustard U16 works better using ASIO output on my system particularly sampling rates above 96K. Still has a couple minor issues but tolerable.

DSD hasn’t been tested in a while...

Chopin75 likes this.
  13. FredA
    If i am lucky, i will get my r7-he tonight. Missed the delivery truck by 30 minutes! I phoned to ask if they can pay me a second visit tonight. No garantee they will, crossing my fingers.

14. anroj
    I agree with you about the Gustard U16 working better on ASIO. I also have some minor issues, but overall, the sound quality makes the minor issues beatable. I do wonder if Gustard is going to come out with any new firmware upgrades to address some of the issues. It seems as if things have dried up there.

15. Chopin75
    I don't use ASIO, I think, since I am using linux based euphony OS. I presume this should fine with SU-6, like the F-1. I am not sure if gustard works with Euphony?

First

Back
281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290
292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301
Next

Last