New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Aug 14, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #2,748 of 11,196
Has anyone experienced a strange thing where the R2R7 suddenly does not output any sound via the USB input? The computer recognizes my F1 but there is no sound. I then need to turn off the R2R7 and try to reboot. For few seconds the R2R7 won’t start at all with on button. Scary moment! When finally it turns back on there is sound again. The other inputs have not been affected. This happens twice or 3x. It seems to have happened when I plug and unplug the USB connection from the computer. Today may have happened when I unplug the ipower from the idenfender. Did something got short-circuited? I think if I select input of the R2R7 to a non-working input e.g. switch to no.5 as my usb input is 6, then plug or unplug the USB this seems not to happen.
My connection:

Computer —> idefender+ ipower —> igalvanic —> isilencer —> R2R7

Aug 14, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #2,749 of 11,196
I don’t have it stopped working but I tried DSD512 and it was noisy. The FPGA wouldn’t switch or something, and when turned off, it needs at lest 30 seconds to power on again, otherwise it wouldn’t turn on even the button is depressed.

Aug 14, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #2,750 of 11,196
Has anyone experienced a strange thing where the R2R7 suddenly does not output any sound via the USB input? The computer recognizes my F1 but there is no sound. I then need to turn off the R2R7 and try to reboot. For few seconds the R2R7 won’t start at all with on button. Scary moment! When finally it turns back on there is sound again. The other inputs have not been affected. This happens twice or 3x. It seems to have happened when I plug and unplug the USB connection from the computer. Today may have happened when I unplug the ipower from the idenfender. Did something got short-circuited? I think if I select input of the R2R7 to a non-working input e.g. switch to no.5 as my usb input is 6, then plug or unplug the USB this seems not to happen.
You have intermittent sound during normal operation? Or is it power cycle only? See below on turning power off/ on which may help one aspect.

The only abnormal operation experienced happens when cycling power on the warm DAC after a firmware update or jumper change. Have to leave power off 15-20 sec. before the R2R 7 boots correctly. A shorter power cycle can cause a failed boot and generally seen as no display/ sound or garbage character on the front panel numerical indicator. Have to leave power off for a while before restoring to get a clean power up.

I think the front panel display micro wakes up funny on these warm short cycle boots. Do you see “6” when this happens? The Master 7 would also do something similar on occasion - always on a warm power cycle. Try leaving power off for 15 sec. before turning back on to get good recovery boots.

Aug 14, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #2,751 of 11,196
It probably happened after I disconnected the USB from computer or reconnected it while set at 6. Then no sound but the F1 was still detected. I had to turn off the DAC, and it probably took between 10-15 sec before it will respond to start button. The 6 popped back on and flashed for few seconds, and it worked again. By then the R2R 7 cooled down a bit and so it sounded crap again so need to wait for i warm back up.

Aug 15, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #2,752 of 11,196
Is the R2R 7 Audio-gd's best DAC?
How does it compare to Gumby?
I like a warm to dark liquid and smooth sound signature and hard hitting bass. I listen to mostly metal and rock. Should I be looking at the R2R 7 or something else?

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 3:50 AM Post #2,753 of 11,196
I like a warm to dark liquid and smooth sound signature and hard hitting bass. I listen to mostly metal and rock. Should I be looking at the R2R 7 or something else?

I don't think, based on the description, that R2R 7 is exactly what You're looking for. Then again, it is definitely better than Gumby in terms of raw sound quality.
In NOS you can get something warm-ish, but I don't think R2R 7 can be called dark or smooth. Their top models are R2R 7HE and I would assume HE7 ... not sure if that's still in production. That being said, the differences between HE series and non HE series aren't that big.

Not sure if anyone agrees (I also haven't tested stuff like Terminator, DCSes or Dave), but to me R2R 7 is all about dynamics, precision, black background, control, sounstage and imaging.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 5:13 AM Post #2,754 of 11,196
I think the front panel display micro wakes up funny on these warm short cycle boots. Do you see “6” when this happens? The Master 7 would also do something similar on occasion - always on a warm power cycle. Try leaving power off for 15 sec. before turning back on to get good recovery boots.
The Audio-GD page says wait more than 30 seconds after turning unit off before turning back on. My M7S always resets to Input 1 and I just push the reverse button to return to Input 6.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #2,755 of 11,196
Damn it, my Stax system is demanding so much power and that even as good as the Furman IT15, it still degrade my end performances. I found it better to do what large systems people is doing. PC and DAC toward Furman, Poweramp directly into the wall sockets. Ultimately, I will find an electrician to add several breakers with separated lines into the wall sockets for me LoL!

Aug 15, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #2,756 of 11,196
Is the R2R 7 Audio-gd's best DAC? How does it compare to Gumby? I like a warm to dark liquid and smooth sound signature and hard hitting bass. I listen to mostly metal and rock. Should I be looking at the R2R 7 or something else?

Yes, the R2R 7 is AGDs best DAC to date (that I have heard). The Schiit products are clean and precise but are very lean sounding in my system. The R2R 7 definitely rocks out with tons of bass compared to the gen 1 Yggy I owned previously. Dynamic, warmer and more liquid as well without being overly clinical.

The R7 demands the best support equipment like sources, cables, and power to sound its very best. Plus the R7 is versatile with different firmware and OS/ NOS modes. It can be fine tuned for your ears and system.

There could be other AGD DACs that better fit your budget. Like the R8 but it is new and never heard. And I own 3 AGD ladder DACs and they are all dynamic, warm, and highly listenable for long periods.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #2,757 of 11,196
As @firegon said, top-of-the-line is R2R 7 HE with regenerative power supply. Nevertheless, not a big difference with R2R 7 as per Kingwa words.

Although I don't listen to Hard Rock, Rock is my cup of tea and R2R 7 is an amazing piece of gear for that purposes.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #2,758 of 11,196
IMO, not only details retrieval and soundstage renderment, but the timbres and it realism. At this super high-end summit-fi level, if a device is not capable of producing a realistic timbres or closer to realism, then it is only the low level of upper tier. Such as my LKS004 is worthy of being in upper tier, but only at the lower level of it.

The r2r7 is totally deserving to be mid level and higher of top tier. I have never heard of those $170,000 DAC or MSB $100,000 DAC. So I can not comment lol

Aug 15, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #2,759 of 11,196
I am loving NOS 3 upsampled at the source to 352/384K. You first notice the bass and midrange but the highs are very smooth and silky. Believable vocals with the right amount sibilance. Extremely dynamic and warm but with a lot of detail. Very natural sounding compared to OS x8.

In NOS 3 i again tried the V2 firmware trilogy (S, SA, A) and I like 'S' smooth for my system. Smooth has the best bass/ midrange plus I get an abundant amount treble in NOS 3.

I like V2 Smooth and NOS 3 so much I buttoned up the R7 top.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back