New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jul 30, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #2,582 of 11,259
Yup, Jos from Magna will send the chassis kit for me to change

cool an r2r7 in PA. Mine lives in NJ (07960)

have you ever tried i2s before? I've been using the F1 on coax for a couple months, but today I just got a cheapo teradak LPS in the mail to power my modded SU1. There's extreme wow factor and audio pyrotechnics going into the r2r7's I2S. Blacker background coupled with highs that don't roll off makes for images that are extremely pronounced and detached from the speaker. I used to get dynamic/punch/speed (and spread) like this from a Gustard DAC outputting over 5v over RCA. But that was so mechanical that it had to be dialed back with soft+dark wiring (leaving me with a conventional sound). Hopefully v2 accurate+nos3 will make i2s listenable long term. Glad I didn't sell the SU1.

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #2,583 of 11,259
Yah I think you (Wynn) may be the closest guy around here using R2R7, at least on this site. I am about 2.5 hrs from where u live. I have no external DDC. Remember I actually put the F1 internally, powered externally. I don’t know if external DDC would be better or not, but I heard it may be about the same or difference is too little. Certainly it makes sense I2S beats coax, as noted from your experiment. I may need I2S for multi channel playback if I want to hook up 3 DACs via I2S. Perhaps one day I can drop by with my R2R to compare with using the Singxer -SU !

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #2,584 of 11,259
Ok I know what is the issue with playing DSD. The file is too large so it eats up all my RAM after playing a large track. I use the Dr.Cleaner to continue to optimize the RAM to make more memory and the issue resolves. I remember now I have had some issue with large multichannel files too. Definitely need 16 RAM. New MACbook pro offers 32 GB RAM but that is overkill I guess.

Jul 30, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #2,585 of 11,259
@Chopin75 sound quality is essentially the same using either internal F1 I2S or external SU-1. Both the Singxers help bring out the best performance In the R2R 7 and M7S DACs.

Let it burn in and enjoy! Feels nice to not worry about firmware.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #2,586 of 11,259
Remember I actually put the F1 internally, powered externally
so you've got an i2s jumper of sorts instead of an HDMI cable -- that's pretty much the ideal setup. And you have the new Xilinx, so dead quiet on sample rate changes. I originally left I2S because of the dangerously loud click on sample rate changes and now with v2 that's been reduced to a tiny tick. Still would like to give the Xilinx a shot.

PM me if anything has you up north. 5hours of driving to hear a DAC is ludicrous. My limit for an NJAS meet is generally 45min -- 90min if it's a car pool with good conversation. Before going to Axpona, my longest audio trip was 3hrs one way in a rental van to pick up my horns.

Jul 31, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #2,589 of 11,259
so you've got an i2s jumper of sorts instead of an HDMI cable -- that's pretty much the ideal setup. And you have the new Xilinx, so dead quiet on sample rate changes. I originally left I2S because of the dangerously loud click on sample rate changes and now with v2 that's been reduced to a tiny tick. Still would like to give the Xilinx a shot.

PM me if anything has you up north. 5hours of driving to hear a DAC is ludicrous. My limit for an NJAS meet is generally 45min -- 90min if it's a car pool with good conversation. Before going to Axpona, my longest audio trip was 3hrs one way in a rental van to pick up my horns.

Actually I probably only come if I am on the way to NYC as I often go there, would not come just for testing unless there is something else going on there. So my setup is actually simple replacement of the Amenora USB board that now comes with new R2R7. Kingwa has it as default. But it can be replaced with F1. Magna simply put that in and use the internal linear PS to supply both sides of the isolation. Perhaps it may be of interest one day to compare the difference between external DDC and internal isolation and per someone else on this site there is no difference. The LPS for the external DDC may be the key here for the improvement you get. Internal F1 with good internal RCore LPS probably does the same.

Jul 31, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #2,590 of 11,259
Actually I probably only come if I am on the way to NYC as I often go there.

oh definitely bring your DAC and we'll A/B these before/after your in NYC. Would be elated to hear no difference, but I suspect an I2S'd F1 is going to make me a believer.

One thing I'd really like to confirm is that the HDMI I2S change-of-sample-rate crack is completely cured in your Xilinx version.

Jul 31, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #2,591 of 11,259
oh definitely bring your DAC and we'll A/B these before/after your in NYC. Would be elated to hear no difference, but I suspect an I2S'd F1 is going to make me a believer.

One thing I'd really like to confirm is that the HDMI I2S change-of-sample-rate crack is completely cured in your Xilinx version.
First my F1 is not using HDMI, it sends I2S signal into the main board directly without sending via HDMI cable. I am not sure what u mean by Sample change. I tested a bunch of PCM files with 16 bit, 24bit/88, 24/48, and 24/355 with no issues when playing one after the other, but when I switch from DSD to DSD or DSD to PCM there are pops, but I realize there is a pop with DSD at end of a track even when not switching to PCM and that happens when it switches from a track from one album to another. No issue when I play entire album of DSD files continuously. Weird, probably audirvana issue. And when I run out of RAM there are spontaneous pops in middle of Track! Hope this helps.

Aug 1, 2018 at 1:52 AM Post #2,592 of 11,259
I have a DI-2014 connect to my R2R7 via i2s (HDMI) cable.
I want to know if the Singxer SU1 would be better than my DI-2014.
Is it worth for the upgrade.
Thanks,
I have had both of these DDC's using a Master 7.... and agree with Fred the DI-2014 could be considered more organic..

In my case, the SU-1 was significantly brighter using the stock SU-1 power supply, to the point that I considered it un-listenable until I disabled the output side PS and used either an external LPS (with ifi DC iPurifier), or Uptone LPS-1. There are devices to make this PS conversion rather easy:
http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/dc99.html
Also one available at kitsunehifi.com

My guess is that most folks would consider the SU-1 with better PS an upgrade over the DI-2014, unless your system is currently already leaning to the bright side and any additional detail may take it over the edge.... also the R2R7 may react differently to the SU-1 with stock power supply than was my experience with the Master 7.

That said, my R2R1 using the Audio-GD USB Amanero with Audio-GD USB isolation upgrade and clocks upgrade, to my ears is very close in sound quality to R2R1 via i2s from the SU-1 (with a ridiculou$ amount of power supplies, reclockers and isolators feeding the SU-1)

Aug 1, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #2,595 of 11,259
Ok, for you guys who need DSD512 on Amanero, you need new firmware for Amanero :D
http://www.amanero.com/oemtool117.zip

I have upgraded it on my LKS004. Not sure what the pins are on the R2R7 module. I need confirmations and then I will post more details
My F1 is supposed to do DSD512 but so far it is not showing it can do on my audirvana, but then I heard DSD512 can only be done on PC, but it is showing on Audirvana too which is for mac (there is a PC version coming up). Though my Macbook is old too. Will need to check with Audirvana and Jos from Magna.

Also does the Jumpers actually affect DSD (except maybe PLL?), I assume they are mainly for PCM. And any difference in warm up period between DSD vs PCM, as they are different circuits?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back