New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Nov 11, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #3,466 of 11,259
@FredA Thanks for the insight. I'm still using the M7S currently but can hear the differences you describe in V3 OS rates. Less treble energy, bass punch increases, and perceived loudness decreases. The sound get more relaxed as you step down but maybe added precision versus the NOS modes.. I'll try OS 4x when I get back on the R2R 7 most likely after faceplate/ display upgrade. The M7S though likes the added treble with V3 OS 8x.

Amazing the various DSP modes helps fine tune the sound of your system. These Singularity DACs with the latest firmwares are very versatile soundwise.

Nov 11, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #3,467 of 11,259
if @FredA hadn't pinged me I would have missed the V3 boat! NOS2 + JRiver's 4xOS is sounding terrific on my winter configuration (all tubes). It's like I stole a page from my friend's w4s anniversary edition (all good sabre implementations for that matter), while still retaining the strengths of r2r. Usually with more speed there is some escalation of anxiety/fatigue at certain freq, but I swear my brain is more relaxed with this. Micro dynamics are better delineated revealing their true texture.

the gift that keeps on giving
but I can't help but think of all the demos I gave that lacked this upgrade

Nov 11, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #3,468 of 11,259
if @FredA hadn't pinged me I would have missed the V3 boat! NOS2 + JRiver's 4xOS is sounding terrific on my winter configuration (all tubes). It's like I stole a page from my friend's w4s anniversary edition (all good sabre implementations for that matter), while still retaining the strengths of r2r. Usually with more speed there is some escalation of anxiety/fatigue at certain freq, but I swear my brain is more relaxed with this. Micro dynamics are better delineated revealing their true texture.

Right on. Exactly my impressions on v3a os4. It's like you've read my mind.

Nov 11, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #3,469 of 11,259

Re-read your post. I thought you were running os4 (oversampling by the dac itself) like i did. Anyway, whatever woks cause what you described matches my experience.

Nov 13, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #3,472 of 11,259
No news re V3 for IN4 Toslink?

Nov 13, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #3,474 of 11,259
Nov 16, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #3,475 of 11,259
Got the linear supply to feed my pi. Ordered on ebay. Nice little unit. And bottom line, another clear sound upgrade.

I am back using the v3a in os8 mode without any excess treble. The bass is even better defined now, but the improvment is in every aspect of the sound.

Like @Whitigir mentioned many times, use a high-quality source with your r-7 and you will be rewarded. One would be inclined to say the r-7 is fussy with transport. Maybe it’s just that the r-7 plays faithfully whatever you throw at it, transmission errors included. I would be inclined to think the latter. One thing is certain, the r-7 can play at a level not many dacs can. With a perfect signal, it sounds perfect to my ears, period.

Nov 17, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #3,476 of 11,259
I received the used Master 9 I purchased on eBay. Audio Sensibility has agreed to make me custom ACSS cables using their Statement SE Silver Interconnects for the same price as the cable comes with XLR connectors but instead using Furutech FT-608mF(R) 3-pin Mini XLR Female connectors. Expensive? Yes. but I have come to really like the other Statement products I've purchased from AS.

Also, the Furukawa power cable which I thought did a decent job with the Singularity 7, was awful with the Master 9. It was the first cable I hooked to the Master 9 and even though the soundstage was so much better than my Soundcraftsmen head amp, the upper mids and treble were terribly harsh with the Master 9. Since it was in the hands of the US Postal Service for six days out in the cold, I thought it would improve after a few days of continuous use. It did not. (I did allow a few hours for the unit to acclimate to the temp and humidity of the house before opening the box and unwrapping all the plastic sheet protection so there would be no condensation damage.) Out of desperation, I hooked the standard cord to power the Master 9. It was better but not great. I then switched my AS Statement power cord to the Master 9 and swapped the Furukawa to the Singularity. The sound was much better but there is still room for improvement. I'm hoping that the AS custom ACSS cable and AS Silver Balanced headphone cable will put the sound over the top since the system will then be running in full balanced mode. And there will be another Statement power cord in my future.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 5:25 AM Post #3,477 of 11,259
I received the used Master 9 I purchased on eBay. Audio Sensibility has agreed to make me custom ACSS cables using their Statement SE Silver Interconnects for the same price as the cable comes with XLR connectors but instead using Furutech FT-608mF(R) 3-pin Mini XLR Female connectors. Expensive? Yes. but I have come to really like the other Statement products I've purchased from AS.

Also, the Furukawa power cable which I thought did a decent job with the Singularity 7, was awful with the Master 9. It was the first cable I hooked to the Master 9 and even though the soundstage was so much better than my Soundcraftsmen head amp, the upper mids and treble were terribly harsh with the Master 9. Since it was in the hands of the US Postal Service for six days out in the cold, I thought it would improve after a few days of continuous use. It did not. (I did allow a few hours for the unit to acclimate to the temp and humidity of the house before opening the box and unwrapping all the plastic sheet protection so there would be no condensation damage.) Out of desperation, I hooked the standard cord to power the Master 9. It was better but not great. I then switched my AS Statement power cord to the Master 9 and swapped the Furukawa to the Singularity. The sound was much better but there is still room for improvement. I'm hoping that the AS custom ACSS cable and AS Silver Balanced headphone cable will put the sound over the top since the system will then be running in full balanced mode. And there will be another Statement power cord in my future.
I don’t use a Furukawa on my master-1.

I have tried many. Ebay cables like the Indeed or a Belden similar to this i paid under 100usd for:

https://www.ramelectronics.net/PCF.aspx

Both were doing a fine job, i now have some other chinese cable on it, with good results. This one in fact:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/0-5M-3M-You...C-Plug-/323307278076?var=&hash=item4b469d8efc

I am waiting for this to arrive to try on the r-7:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Valab-OCC-Single-Crystal-Copper-Power-Cord-US-Type-Rose-Gold-Power-Plug/283215547230?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #3,479 of 11,259
Got the linear supply to feed my pi. Ordered on ebay. Nice little unit. And bottom line, another clear sound upgrade.

I am back using the v3a in os8 mode without any excess treble. The bass is even better defined now, but the improvment is in every aspect of the sound.

At the time I had to warm up to V2 Accurate OS 8x on the R2R 7 so expect the same with V3 Accurate. Took several weeks to acclimate. I'm still temporarily using the M7S with V3A OS 8x and sounds great on this DAC. The R7 faceplate/ display arrives early this week but will be another week before installation due to the upcoming holiday.

Nov 18, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #3,480 of 11,259
At the time I had to warm up to V2 Accurate OS 8x on the R2R 7 so expect the same with V3 Accurate. Took several weeks to acclimate. I'm still temporarily using the M7S with V3A OS 8x and sounds great on this DAC. The R7 faceplate/ display arrives early this week but will be another week before installation due to the upcoming holiday.

Still haven’t heard harshness or any exess treble with the new lps. That’s great news. The weakest link in computer audio is pretty much always the computer itself i realized. The only switching psu left i have is the one feeding my external ssd. For now.

Don’t hesitate if you need any help with the faceplate upgrade.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back