New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jul 9, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #61 of 11,259
Hello All,
I am seriously considering replacing my aging Yulong DA8 II with this R2R 7.
Definitely seems to be a giant killer, I am very excited to read everyone's impressions of it once their orders are received, and I cant wait for Currawong's review!
Would be amazing if someone did a comparison of the R2R 7 and the NFB 7.77 as they seem to be direct competitors, but that would take a lot of coin!

One quick question for users of Audio-GD I2S; do the Audio-gd DAC's use the "PS Audio" Pinout standard for the HDMI Port?
and for those of you with Audio-GD DAC's and Singxer SU-1's was it as simple as connecting a short HDMI Cable between the SU-1 and your DAC and pushing the "BYPASS" Pin on?
Im trying to figure out if a SU-1 would be beneficial enough to warrant the extra cash spent vs just using the Amanero USB input with my Uptone ISO Regen (LPS-1 Powered)

Thanks

Kingwa told me that his distributor in the Netherlands had a chance to do an A to B between thr r2r 7 and the NFB-7.77 and and he prefered the r2r 7. The r2r 7 is more analog, even more so than the S7. According to Kingwa, it is even more accurate.

Jul 9, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #63 of 11,259
Yes, AGD HDMI I2S input follows the "PS Audio" pinouts and signal polarity. The Singxer SU-1 is great as it has switches that let you adjust HDMI I2S signals on its output. My SU-1 just happened to be set correctly for PS Audio HDMI I2S when it arrived. Comparisons of HDMI I2S, High Exact, and Amanero USB are still to come. We need to get more Singularity DACs with latest firmware into hands of users. With less variation in sound between the inputs on Singularity DACs some will probably prefer one input/ DSP setting versus another user. There may not be definitive adjustments or inputs but more like what do you like best with your sound equipment. So it is early but stay tuned and check back often. You may or may not need to push the BYPASS pin on. Just depends if you have dropouts/ noise or prefer the I2S sound with BYPASS on.

But I will say the Amanero USB modules are nice. I installed three of them - S7, M7, and Ref 5 - and work wonderfully and sound great. If I was ordering a R2R DAC I would include both the Amanero and HDMI I2S input as the HDMI option is not a lot of money.

Thanks for the input, I have the Amanero in my Yulong DA8 II already and I am pretty happy with it other than some issues with DSD, but I think it is an issue with my DA8 II not the Amanero Module; As I also have a DA8 in my headphone setup with the Amanero and I have no issues with DSD.

The r2r 7 comes standard with amanero, hdmi and rj45 hdmi. They dropped the balanced AES input.

I will compare amaro to rj45 i2s when i receive my DAC. Could be within 2 weeks but i am not in a hurry. My M7 sounds great.

Kingwa told me that his distributor in the Netherlands had a chance to do an A to B between the r2r 7 and the NFB-7.77 and and he prefered the r2r 7. The r2r 7 is more analog, even more so than the S7. According to Kingwa, it is even more accurate.

Wow that's great news FredA, thank you very much for that info, definitely pushes me more towards the R2R 7.
I am also considering the Denafrips Terminator or the Holo Spring level 3, but the R2R 7 is the most appealing to me so far as I trust Audio-GD's build quality and design topology's whereas both Holo and Denafrips are relatively new companies compared to Audio-GD.

I have owned a ton of DAC's with the ESS 9018 chip an I am very interested in trying something with a different sound signature to see how it differs (in other words R2R.)

9018 DAC's Ive owened over the years:
Yulong DA8 MKII (Still have)
Yulong DA8 (Still Have)
AGD NFB-1DAC
W4S DAC1 (Upgraded Supercaps)
AGD NFB-10SE
AGD NFB3.1
AGD NFB3
Audiolab MDAC

Jul 9, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #64 of 11,259
Thanks for the input, I have the Amanero in my Yulong DA8 II already and I am pretty happy with it other than some issues with DSD, but I think it is an issue with my DA8 II not the Amanero Module; As I also have a DA8 in my headphone setup with the Amanero and I have no issues with DSD.

Wow that's great news FredA, thank you very much for that info, definitely pushes me more towards the R2R 7.
I am also considering the Denafrips Terminator or the Holo Spring level 3, but the R2R 7 is the most appealing to me so far as I trust Audio-GD's build quality and design topology's whereas both Holo and Denafrips are relatively new companies compared to Audio-GD.

I have owned a ton of DAC's with the ESS 9018 chip an I am very interested in trying something with a different sound signature to see how it differs (in other words R2R.)

9018 DAC's Ive owened over the years:
Yulong DA8 MKII (Still have)
Yulong DA8 (Still Have)
AGD NFB-1DAC
W4S DAC1 (Upgraded Supercaps)
AGD NFB-10SE
AGD NFB3.1
AGD NFB3
Audiolab MDAC

I have owned many cd players including the Cambridge Azur 840D i used as a dac at the end, then these dacs: w4s dac2, audio-gd nfb-8, audio-gd nfb-11 (for the office), audio-gd nfb-5 (second system), and audio-gd M7. I fell in love with the r2r sound.

It's not just the r2r that makes a difference but also the fully separated power supplies. That adds a level of refinement you would not believe possible.

Jul 9, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #65 of 11,259
I have owned many cd players including the Cambridge Azur 840D i used as a dac at the end, then these dacs: w4s dac2, audio-gd nfb-8, audio-gd nfb-11 (for the office), audio-gd nfb-5 (second system), and audio-gd M7. I fell in love with the r2r sound.

It's not just the r2r that makes a difference but also the fully separated power supplies. That adds a level of refinement you would not believe possible.

Sounds like my plans to try out R2R are headed in the right direction, I am really curious to hear the R2R Sound.
I believe you about the power supplies, that is what always impressed me about Audio-GD's TOTL products, I just haven't tried one yet, hopefully the R2R 7 will be the first.

my experience with power supply improvements has been nothing but positive, I am floored by the difference the Uptone LPS-1 makes with my sMS-200 NAA, Uptone ISO Regen, and W4S Recovery.

I am also interested in possibly powering my DAC and Preamp with a Regenerative Power Supply like the Audio-GD HE-350. (anyone heard any impressions of it?)
I was also considering a PS Audio P5 since the features and web control are top notch but I don't like that it doesn't actually generate a new power signal, just augments it.

Jul 9, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #66 of 11,259
I don't buy that argument, everything depends on implementation.
State of the art SMPS? Linn & Jeff Rowland power supplies for example

Not sure what "argument" that you thought I was making but here is the photo of the main board from the Soekris web site that inspired my question.

I am sure that a state of the art SMPS can approach a good LPS however these are off the shelf Mean Well SMPS modules and cost $5.91 retail in bulk. As far as inexpensive SMPS's I understand that they are among the better.

dac1541_open_300.jpg

Perhaps they sound fantastic and the DAC is a real bargain. Hopefully someone will listen to one and let us know.

Thanks for pointing out another R2R option.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #67 of 11,259
Heads up: a review of the r2r 7 just got posted in Dutch. I ran a google translation on it, this summarizes the review:

1. In NOS mode, it is trailing a little to the Holo Spring level 3, but is smoother however and produces a comparable soundstage, it just misses a bit of sparkle and is a bit less musical. I guess it is a matter of preference to some extent (reading between the lines). Does not seem the guy has tried the different NOS modes however.

2. In OS mode, things gets better: it is has an outstanding soudstage, both wide and deep, with a level of resolution that is remarkable. Great separation as well. And it makes music! It is implied that it is quite better than the Holo dac in its best mode (NOS).

Kingwa seems to have hit a homerun. I am confident with this purchase.

Read for yourselves:

https://www.audioenzo.nl/audio-gd-r2r-7/

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #68 of 11,259
Heads up: a review of the r2r 7 just got posted in Dutch. I ran a google translation on it, this summarizes the review:

https://www.audioenzo.nl/audio-gd-r2r-7/
The Google translation of High Exact mode was mind boggling. :beyersmile: I need to lie down...

They love the R2R 7 in over-sampling mode. Power and authority over the Holo.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #69 of 11,259
I don't buy that argument, everything depends on implementation.
State of the art SMPS? Linn & Jeff Rowland power supplies for example

I'd say that what Bruno Putzey does fits here as well :wink:

And as far as ladder sources go, what Kingwa does is exceptionally promising. This tech always sounds awesome to my ears and to have for fairly small coin is something to look forward to.

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Jul 11, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #70 of 11,259
In NOS mode (DSP jumper S2 = On) does anyone understand what the four different adjustment modes actually do? AGD lists the four jumper settings with no definitions...

Mode 1 Mode 2 Mode 3 Mode 4  
ATT0 (ON) (OFF) (ON) (OFF)
ATT1 (ON) (ON) (OFF) (OFF)

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #71 of 11,259
I'd say that what Bruno Putzey does fits here as well :wink:

And as far as ladder sources go, what Kingwa does is exceptionally promising. This tech always sounds awesome to my ears and to have for fairly small coin is something to look forward to.

I would say that too, i have NC500-based monoblocks that play awesomely. I have used soft swithing supplies in DIY amps that sound very well. In a way, a linear supply does switching itself in the rectification phase. The difference is the switching is done a few hundred thousand of times per second rather than 120 times with the latter. So you may want to isolate your sensitive components from it.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #72 of 11,259
I would say that too, i have NC500-based monoblocks that play awesomely. I have used soft swithing supplies in DIY amps that sound very well. In a way, a linear supply does switching itself in the rectification phase. The difference is the switching is done a few hundred thousand of times per second rather than 120 times with the latter. So you may want to isolate your sensitive components from it.

Right. I think that most often the issue cited is not that they make for a poor power supply or do not sound good but that they inject noise back into the mains and it gets picked up by other equipment and finds itself in the audio in that way.

Jul 11, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #73 of 11,259
In NOS mode (DSP jumper S2 = On) does anyone understand what the four different adjustment modes actually do?

There are several NOS modes I am finding out. DSP S2 = Off provides the standard "Master 7" DSP OS filters plus the jumper NOS mode (IPS0/1 = On). Setting S2 = On switches operation to "NOS 7" and whatever different that NOS brings. There are a couple of more NOS modes I am trying to understand.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 5:42 AM Post #74 of 11,259
There are several NOS modes I am finding out. DSP S2 = Off provides the standard "Master 7" DSP OS filters plus the jumper NOS mode (IPS0/1 = On). Setting S2 = On switches operation to "NOS 7" and whatever different that NOS brings. There are a couple of more NOS modes I am trying to understand.

That's it. You get both dacs in one (nos and os). The nos modes (1, 2 and 3) were at some point descibed in the nos 7 thread. They most probably are the same.

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #75 of 11,259
That's it. You get both dacs in one (nos and os). The nos modes (1, 2 and 3) were at some point descibed in the nos 7 thread. They most probably are the same.
That's awesome!

My questions answered (for now) looking at the NOS 7 User Manual and the "After Oct. 12, 2016" setting map. I need to get my S7 firmware upgraded. I am way behind the curve.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/NOS/NOS7/NOS7EN_Use.htm

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back