New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Aug 18, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #2,821 of 11,196
Aug 18, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #2,824 of 11,196
R8 info... Certainly has a US dollar price tag. I wonder why Kingwa doesn't offer it for sale generally??

http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/R8/R8en.htm

Not clear what the difference is between this and the R2R 7 aside from 'high end parts' on the r2r 7 and usb isolation. Im guessing the R8 is a clear step down based on price but not sure?

Aug 18, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #2,825 of 11,196
Not clear what the difference is between this and the R2R 7 aside from 'high end parts' on the r2r 7 and usb isolation. Im guessing the R8 is a clear step down based on price but not sure?

The R8 was discussed here a few days ago (seems like a month ago!). Take a look starting at the very bottom of pg. 182 and continuing on the pg. 183. Not much is known about the R8 here on this thread but if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

And yes the R8 is a less featured product. Clear evidence of cost reduction like fewer inputs and simpler digital board.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #2,826 of 11,196
According to the translation of the chinese website, as provided by google, the r-8 is a cost-reduced r2r 7 but with an interface to configure the dsp on the front panel. All settings that are available through jumpers on thr r2r 7 are available on this new interface.

Where cost reduction is applied:

1. Lighter chassis (not as rigid i suppose)
2. SMD components throughout (output stages, power supply?)
3. Digital board borrowed to the r2r-1, so one fewer digital input (rj45 i2s is sacrificed) and the two xilink processors that are present on the r2r 7's digital board are also not there.

But still, a lot for you money i find.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #2,827 of 11,196
R2R7 is not easily out performed. Even my friend ref7.1 can not get on the similar tier.

The r2r7 is of another tier level of it own. But the worse thing is that it will need you to really invest into a proper source of transportation

So running an r2r7 out of a desktop PC via USB is not ideal?

I guess yggy would be a better choice for me ? I don't expect to ever run my music on a music server or CD transport.

Aug 18, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #2,828 of 11,196
According to the translation of the chinese website, as provided by google, the r-8 is a cost-reduced r2r 7 but with an interface to configure the dsp on the front panel. All settings that are available through jumpers on thr r2r 7 are available on this new interface.

Where cost reduction is applied:

1. Lighter chassis (not as rigid i suppose)
2. SMD components throughout (output stages, power supply?)
3. Digital board borrowed to the r2r-1, so one fewer digital input (rj45 i2s is sacrificed) and the two xilink processors that are present on the r2r 7's digital board are also not there.

But still, a lot for you money i find.

I can't wait for a head to head impression against r2r7

Aug 18, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #2,829 of 11,196
So running an r2r7 out of a desktop PC via USB is not ideal?

I guess yggy would be a better choice for me ? I don't expect to ever run my music on a music server or CD transport.

That is very true, the R2R7 is too critical to deal with bad source, and USB is a bad interface. Unless you go by another type of DDC. However, I found the best of R2R7 is raw and pure PCIE-I2S from a dedicated PC server. Never heard such musical and organic realism like this before.

I would guess that Fred is comparing PCM to DSD using his SU1 which is a DDC, so the performances is close ? Where as I compare from Direct I2S vs Amanero DSD in...it suck the monkey balls LoL!

R2R7 has always demonstrated to me that the USB input is horrible on itself.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #2,830 of 11,196
That is very true, the R2R7 is too critical to deal with bad source, and USB is a bad interface. Unless you go by another type of DDC. However, I found the best of R2R7 is raw and pure PCIE-I2S from a dedicated PC server. Never heard such musical and organic realism like this before.

I would guess that Fred is comparing PCM to DSD using his SU1 which is a DDC, so the performances is close ? Where as I compare from Direct I2S vs Amanero DSD in...it suck the monkey balls LoL!

Ok well the fact that I don't plan on a music PC server or PCI USB card it seems yggy is the clear option. It is the gen 5 USB interface which would make it so I don't even need a USB to spdif converter?

Aug 18, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #2,831 of 11,196

I have an f-1 and use a lps to feed it, while it's isolated from the pc with a schiit wyrd and and intona (regular version). I added an rj45 i2s out to my f-1. The f-1 is a better peformer outputting i2s. More neutral.

Aug 18, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #2,835 of 11,196
The DAC will always reads Native DSD because it does receive true Native DSD at the Input port.

The DAC will only display DOP when the signal being input at the port is DOP

DOP meant that the signals is processed by your source (upper stream), and Native DSD means that the Native DSD travel through USB cables and will be processed by your USB input port.

I2S will have to be DOP in Multibit, there is no such thing as single bit I2S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back