New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jul 22, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #2,476 of 11,225
I am using that Accurate @FredA sent to me, and the highs are not exactly boosted up. But more like cleaned up and tighten up. It allows the upper mid all the way to high frequency to be more vivid and satisfying ! Kingwa shall be R2R developer of the year !

The ringing I heard before has also turned into fine wind chimes and triangle instruments resonances in a better form, and that is extraordinary

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #2,477 of 11,225
I am using that Accurate @FredA sent to me, and the highs are not exactly boosted up. But more like cleaned up and tighten up. It allows the upper mid all the way to high frequency to be more vivid and satisfying ! Kingwa shall be R2R developer of the year !

The ringing I heard before has also turned into fine wind chimes and triangle instruments resonances in a better form, and that is extraordinary
Yes, it sounds really high-end. I would just wish for a more generous and articulate bass like the v2a variation has. Unless it is just a thing with old jazz records. Also the presentation is too laid back/relaxed. Otherwise, i like it very much, it grabs your emotional side like the old M7 did. With headphones, it's okay. but i much prefer the v2.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #2,478 of 11,225

I edited my description of the Accurate versions. But you are correct the highs not necessarily jacked up but seem enhanced and really highlight the R2R 7s capability in the highs. Which version did you end up with (V2A1)? Speakers? Not sure if they are balanced for my headphone setup though. But will listen again with cable swaps.

Jul 22, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #2,481 of 11,225
I am getting confused again. So the latest fw is now called V2 again ? And old V2 no longer exists? I am getting the V3 from Magna per Jos.

We are confused as well and trying to sort it out. Nothing is settled at this time so could be more versions to come. But _V2 replaces S3. And S3 replaced S2. And you are correct that original the R7S2 was referred as "R7V2" and "Smooth 2" and "V2". No one was expecting so many revisions and they could have had more descriptive file names.

But now think of "R7V2" as simply firmware 2.0 that is still in beta testing.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #2,482 of 11,225
I am comparing between the Accurate firmware V2A and V2A1. I like the V2A more as it has more pronounced Sub-bass rumbles in comparison to the V2A1. That is because I am listening from Headphones I guess ? But I will stick with V2A now. Also love the vocal vibratos more, very emotional. I don’t know why Accurate firmware always sound so good. This new firmware is like I am listening to an upgraded R2R7 LoL! Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #2,483 of 11,225
*** NEW FIRMWARE FILES ***

Just when you buttoned up the R2R 7 and put it back in the rack... Firmware is now officially off the chain and out of control!!! Kingwa gave the green light for a lot of new firmware. Not only for Input 4 I2S but Input 4 Toslink variations identified with "_IIS2" in the file name. If you don't use Toslink then any of these versions may work for you. If you need Toslink then stick with these 3 files.

-- Smooth type variation
KIngwa stated that "R7_V2.jic" is latest Smooth type version based upon S3 (bug fixes). I like it so you may want to check it out. BYPASS = On for NOS.

-- Accurate type variation
Included also are two Accurate versions that @FredA likes with his speaker setup (V2A1). Highs are enhanced on both and showcase the R7's highs. The two versions of Accurate are "R7_V2A.jic" and "R7_V2A1.jic". Not sure about BYPASS controlling NOS/OS. Email sent to Kingwa to ask.

- Toslink Compatible Firmware
The 3 files are based upon V2 and compatible with Toslink on Input 4 ("R7_V2_IIS2.jic", "R7IIS21.jic", and "R7IIS22.jic"). Maybe @barbas can fill in the blanks... And the original note from Kingwa...
"Dear Scott,
There is 3 firmwares with optical on in4, because an users feedback he had the noise on spdif inputs on R7_V2_IIS2 but in our test not any noise so I make two newer version to him test. They are based on V2 codes .
Kingwa"

The cloud drive now has three new directories, "IN4 I2S", "IN4 Toslink", and "DA Xilinx". If you have any questions let us know and contact Kingwa on bugs. If I made an error that needs correcting let me know. Have fun!
https://onedrive.live.com/?id=636DC4E8060D66A1!172&cid=636DC4E8060D66A1
R7_V2_IIS2.jic version was giving me unlisteable noise on every input, not the right channel glitches from before. R7IIS21.jic solved this so no need to try R7IIS22.jic

Jul 22, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #2,484 of 11,225
R7_V2_IIS2.jic version was giving me unlisteable noise on every input, not the right channel glitches from before. R7IIS21.jic solved this so no need to try R7IIS22.jic

Just flashed R7_V2_IIS2.jic version on my Master 7S, there is no problem here on BNC. Source is Allo Digione. So far so good, i agree that ringing seems to have disapeared. Coming from Accurate R7V1 firmware.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #2,485 of 11,225
I am comparing between the Accurate firmware V2A and V2A1. I like the V2A more as it has more pronounced Sub-bass rumbles in comparison to the V2A1. That is because I am listening from Headphones I guess ? But I will stick with V2A now. Also love the vocal vibratos more, very emotional. I don’t know why Accurate firmware always sound so good. This new firmware is like I am listening to an upgraded R2R7 LoL! Thanks guys!

I think if the v21A was made to sound like the v2a for bass and vocals, it would be perfect. Not sure it's possible. But one thing though, the more i listen to the v2a1, the more i like it. I really am having a blast.

I many times mentioned the r2r 7 needs about 24 hours to get up to speed and to play at its best. That it is what it is doing right now. This fw is so close to perfection with my speaker setup. No even sure it needs any mod anymore. Maybe the mids are slightly veiled. But It makes music more tangible, more alive. With great emotions coming through. Would be so nice to be able to choose between v2a and v2a1 with a switch on the font panel, it would sort of be a first, having a setting for headphones, abother one for speakers. If ever Kingwa decides to offers both flavors through a jumper, i will install a toggle switch on the back of my r2r 7 and be the most spoiled child in the world.

I am looking at the possibility of getting a pair of Osborn Eclipse speakers, anyone with experience with them?

Jul 22, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #2,486 of 11,225
I think if the v21A was made to sound like the v2a for bass and vocals, it would be perfect. Not sure it's possible. But one thing though, the more i listen to the v2a1, the more i like it. I really am having a blast.

I many times mentioned the r2r 7 needs about 24 hours to get up to speed and to play at its best. That it is what it is doing right now. This fw is so close to perfection with my speaker setup. No even sure it needs any mod anymore. Maybe the mids are slightly veiled. But It makes music more tangible, more alive. With great emotions coming through. Would be so nice to be able to choose between v2a and v2a1 with a switch on the font panel, it would sort of be a first, having a setting for headphones, abother one for speakers. If ever Kingwa decides to offers both flavors through a jumper, i will install a toggle switch on the back of my r2r 7 and be the most spoiled child in the world.

I am looking at the possibility of getting a pair of Osborn Eclipse speakers, anyone with experience with them?

Yes, you get that right. May be Kingwa can do something of a mash up between the 2 lol!

Jul 22, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #2,488 of 11,225
Try some cable swaps to dial it in. Amazing the amount of difference between cables with the R2R 7.
That is right. I am back with my default litz occ copper between pre and power amps, the latter now also back with the rounder opamps. Plus i put the ms-audio silver litz on the nfb-1amp. Not bad at all even with headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back