New Audio-gd DAC-19 [10th Anniversary Edition]
Nov 10, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #1,051 of 1,962
How can I connect my smart phone or tablet to the DAC-19 and HDVA 600?

The DAC has only USB, optical and coaxial as inout and has only one set of composite output. The HDVA has one set of composite input and a set of balanced input. The phone and tablet all have one regular analog out put. Sometimes I do not want to turn on PC or Mac but want to play music from phone or tablet. I found no way to use them along with the DAC and HDVA 600.

Nov 10, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #1,052 of 1,962
How can I connect my smart phone or tablet to the DAC-19 and HDVA 600?

The DAC has only USB, optical and coaxial as inout and has only one set of composite output. The HDVA has one set of composite input and a set of balanced input. The phone and tablet all have one regular analog out put. Sometimes I do not want to turn on PC or Mac but want to play music from phone or tablet. I found no way to use them along with the DAC and HDVA 600.

Normally you can't.
The phona has a built in DAC anyway.
You might wanna try going from the micro USB on your phone to DAC19 USB. There might be a cable. Appple has the CCK cable kit I believe.

Nov 10, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #1,053 of 1,962
Normally you can't.
The phona has a built in DAC anyway.
You might wanna try going from the micro USB on your phone to DAC19 USB. There might be a cable. Appple has the CCK cable kit I believe.

Thank you. Something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Comprehensive-Cable-CCK-AH01-Android-Connectivity/dp/B00TS77BYY

Nov 10, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #1,054 of 1,962
Nov 10, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #1,055 of 1,962
Might be easier just to get a cheap DAP with optical out, like the Fiio X1.

Nov 10, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #1,056 of 1,962
FiiO DAPs use coaxial out, except the X1 (no digital out on the X1), but yeah that's some sound advice. :wink_face:

Nov 10, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #1,057 of 1,962
  Might be easier just to get a cheap DAP with optical out, like the Fiio X1.

I am afraid that really cheap one would degrade the sound quality. I am interested in FiiO X5 2nd generation but its battery problem seems to be pretty bad that it is not customer replaceable. It seems to have coaxial digital output.  

Nov 10, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #1,058 of 1,962
I am afraid that really cheap one would degrade the sound quality. I am interested in FiiO X5 2nd generation but its battery problem seems to be pretty bad that it is not customer replaceable. It seems to have coaxial digital output.  

What? The X5ii is great feeding coaxial to the DAC-19 and the battery lasts around 30 hours when used this way. If you need the battery replaced FiiO will send you one if you want to replace it yourself. I know what you mean by user replaceable but honestly don't know what you mean by battery problems.

Nov 10, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #1,059 of 1,962
What? The X5ii is great feeding coaxial to the DAC-19 and the battery lasts around 30 hours when used this way. If you need the battery replaced FiiO will send you one if you want to replace it yourself. I know what you mean by user replaceable but honestly don't know what you mean by battery problems.

A coworker has the 2nd generation unit. and the battery was dead. he can't replace it. He said it's costly and not easy to replace it. And then I searched on web and found many have their units with dead battery and they had a hard time to replace the battery at reasonable cost. That's all I know. Maybe members on this board know better to solve the problem..

Nov 10, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #1,060 of 1,962
A coworker has the 2nd generation unit. and the battery was dead. he can't replace it. He said it's costly and not easy to replace it. And then I searched on web and found many have their units with dead battery and they had a hard time to replace the battery at reasonable cost. That's all I know. Maybe members on this board know better to solve the problem..

Oh, sorry to hear about your coworkers battery. I know that FiiO has very good customer service, but can't speak directly about replacing the battery as mine has worked very well. I know that a couple users have needed the first gen battery replaced and it seemed to be a simple process. Good to know more data points on the device, thanks. :wink:

Nov 12, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #1,062 of 1,962
The FiiO X7 becomes available in some markets. I think it's time to get one. The only part I dislike is its capacity, 32 GB internal + 128 SD Card. Hope with firmware update it can support large SD card like 256 GB or even 512 GB. Dish Network used to only support external hard drive at 750 GB and later could support 2 TB. Not sure if the FiiO X7 can do this type of update.

Nov 13, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #1,063 of 1,962
This sounds more to my taste/liking than the the Schiit Bimby (or Gumby)?  Any more comparisons would be appreciated.
Anyone see a used pair on sale here? 

Nov 13, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #1,064 of 1,962
It probably wasn't a fair first-impression of the HD800, because it sounded so good
wink.gif
One of the two "Woah!" moments of RMAF for me was the DAC19+LC+HD800. Song was "Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes," in a high-res FLAC. The HD800 totally didn't respond how I expected: imaging was very good, but I was surprised at how reenforced the bass was, the treble was sparkly but not brittle or harsh, mids had a bit of air/dust but overall the experience was very musical while also being shockingly detailed. The HD800 had some super $500 cables and a partial Anaxulus mod (I think), so maybe a bit deviated from stock, but it didn't seem compromised. Haunted me through the night.

The other "ooh WOAH!" moment was on Fostex's TOTL setup (with their $8,000 amp, and I missed what DAC, and the TH900). DAC19 Magic was much more affordable/attainable lol!

At a recent meet, I also had a "Woah!" moment with the DAC-19 + Liquid Carbon.  I said it somewhere else already, but I will say it here too:  It was like sitting by the fire sipping a dram of Lagavulin in a comfy wingback chair.  Just all sorts of good.  It's such a smooth and effortless sound.  It was extended and dynamic without ever being harsh.  And this impression came from "merely" the HD650, but would have loved to have heard the same combo through the HD800 as well.  I'm guessing that would be a very appearing source combo for those also.

In regards to DAC-19 vs Bimby - there's tremendous difference in sound signatures.  The DAC-19 is smoother, while also being more precise.  The Bimby is fatiguing in the treble region, and rather smeared in the midrange (all to my ears, of course).  For the price, DAC-19 is really an amazing DAC, I do think.  In fact, I would love to see Kingwa improve the DAC-19 even further with a DAC-19SE (special edition) release which upgrades many of the low cost mediocre parts that currently keep its price down but do get in the way of the sound, ultimately.  I.e. I think he could offer a $1500 DAC-19SE that would be a giant killer, actually.  But as it stands, the current DAC-19 is no slouch.  I would have no reservations about putting one in my office for hours of daily listening, and in fact, I probably will.

Nov 13, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #1,065 of 1,962
At a recent meet, I also had a "Woah!" moment with the DAC-19 + Liquid Carbon.  I said it somewhere else already, but I will say it here too:  It was like sitting by the fire sipping a dram of Lagavulin in a comfy wingback chair.  Just all sorts of good.  It's such a smooth and effortless sound.  It was extended and dynamic without ever being harsh.  And this impression came from "merely" the HD650, but would have loved to have heard the same combo through the HD800 as well.  I'm guessing that would be a very appearing source combo for those also.

In regards to DAC-19 vs Bimby - there's tremendous difference in sound signatures.  The DAC-19 is smoother, while also being more precise.  The Bimby is fatiguing in the treble region, and rather smeared in the midrange (all to my ears, of course).  For the price, DAC-19 is really an amazing DAC, I do think.  In fact, I would love to see Kingwa improve the DAC-19 even further with a DAC-19SE (special edition) release which upgrades many of the low cost mediocre parts that currently keep its price down but do get in the way of the sound, ultimately.  I.e. I think he could offer a $1500 DAC-19SE that would be a giant killer, actually.  But as it stands, the current DAC-19 is no slouch.  I would have no reservations about putting one in my office for hours of daily listening, and in fact, I probably will.

Kingwa made the master11! That is the giant killer right there. It's a step up from the dac19.ive owned the dac19 and loved the sound so much I had to get the master11. It further improved the sound stage and overall the signature is approximately the same yet now it's paired with a pure class A monster amplifier that truly is impressive. A master11 needs an audition to truly appreciate its sound. Since you have heard the dac19+liquid carbon then you can imagine that but a bit better :wink:
I believe it's well worth the price and compares to other setups 5000-15,000 easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back