New Audeze "Prototype-Z"!
Oct 25, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #166 of 455
Thanks, that's an interesting idea but for the moment it's not an option. We want to be responsive and we've read everyone's comments with interest. As Audeze moves forward we try to incorporate new technology as well as address any comfort issues.  

Why don't you start a poll here on head-fi about how many audeze's owners feel the need of an improved headband? You already have a prototype ready after all.

Oct 25, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #167 of 455
This is exciting but I am not a crazy fan of the carbon fiber. Looking at most of the other high end audio products, You usually seen Exagerated stained wood. Kid of gives you that feeling of being in a Leather chair by the fire in your robe. The carbon fiber seems at least to me a little less.... premium 

Oct 25, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #168 of 455
  This is exciting but I am not a crazy fan of the carbon fiber. Looking at most of the other high end audio products, You usually seen Exagerated stained wood. Kid of gives you that feeling of being in a Leather chair by the fire in your robe. The carbon fiber seems at least to me a little less.... premium 

lol the weird wood fetish audiophiles have is silly. dead trees? seriously?? lol

Oct 25, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #170 of 455
Oct 25, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #171 of 455

I have to respectfully disagree. I love my LCD-2s, but I often reach for one of my other headphones due to the comfort issue. Both the pain at the top of the head that so many complain about and also pain from the clamping force on my glasses (which causes them to dig into my head). Despite this, I wear them for many hours each week, but if they were as comfortable as my Alpha Dogs, I'd never take them off! :)

Getting comfy headphones like the Fostex TH/Denon DX000 or the HD800 really puts into perspective how nice it is to have a headphone that's actually comfortable and enjoyable to wear on your head. You should never have to "tolerate" wearing your headphones. My HD800's are often on my head regardless of whether I'm listening to something or not simply because there's no "time limit" to those headphones where they start becoming uncomfortable. I certainly never did that with my LCD-2's (which I also had to sell because of comfort issues).

I've said this before, but at $1000+, comfort is not be something that you should be asked to give up, and it certainly shouldn't have to be a compromise for better sound quality.

Out of curiosity, how did you feel about the metal rings of the LCD-XC and LCD-X?
I'm personally not a fan of raw carbon fiber because of the gaudy factor, but if they offered a series of painted colors using a very high quality paint, I'd be happy with that option, though I do enjoy the look of wood (and it is quite light as well).

Oct 25, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #172 of 455
  I've said this before, but at $1000+, comfort is not be something that you should be asked to give up, and it certainly shouldn't have to be a compromise for better sound quality.

Anything above that 1k mark, everything has to be right for me to consider it now. Hifiman and Audeze were fun, but their weight and design was seriously annoying after a while.

Oct 25, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #173 of 455
  Getting comfy headphones like the Fostex TH/Denon DX000 or the HD800 really puts into perspective how nice it is to have a headphone that's actually comfortable and enjoyable to wear on your head. You should never have to "tolerate" wearing your headphones. My HD800's are often on my head regardless of whether I'm listening to something or not simply because there's no "time limit" to those headphones where they start becoming uncomfortable. I certainly never did that with my LCD-2's (which I also had to sell because of comfort issues).

+1. I agree. For flagship headphones, a comfortable design along with high quality sound is a must. There is no reason either of those two things should be only average especially at this high-end price point. Looks and style I don't mind giving up at all, but sound and comfort are essential for a positive listening experience.

note: the new Hifiman's do have a very comfort suspension design and the new Oppos are decently comfortable as well. I am glad to see that the last planar giant Audeze is getting onboard with these changes.

Oct 25, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #174 of 455
I sure hope Audeze is reading and watching this forum. I am new around here and went to the RMAF three weeks ago. I fell in love with the Audeze XC. I like them so much that I will most likely get one. But what would make me a true believer in the company is if they would listen to the highly qualified people on this forum. The biggest complaint I have with these HP's is the weight. I have had 3 surgeries on my neck and adding 650 extra grams would not be great.

Please Audeze and make this a little lighter. Please.

Oct 25, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #175 of 455
I will say, the vegan pads are the nicest I've felt of any headphone, even the headband fits better than many.

Oct 25, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #176 of 455
if they just released the same X and XC but with a lighter more comfortable headband they would likely see a lot of current user's upgrade.  To me the headband was at first a sore spot on top of my head but it doesn't cause that problem much after the first month or two.  The weight though I think is what they really need to focus on reducing.  I am guessing this new headband is a fraction of the weight of the original being carbon fiber vs spring steel.  I think on this model were they to not offer the headband as an upgrade for older models they should double down and also make the earcups out of carbon fiber as well and thin them out to where they get a nice weight drop and improved audio performance as a result of increased stiffness.  Smaller magnets perhaps to offset the more sensitive higher impedance driver, again lighter and providing more airflow.

as i've said, give me the same sound with half the weight and double the comfort and it becomes an impulse buy.

Oct 26, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #177 of 455
How can you reduce weight and not sacrifice sound? Magnets, housing, and a stiff chassis to reduce resonance cannot be compromised. Are we audiophiles, or casual listeners with expensive tastes? What is the target of Audeze?

Oct 26, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #178 of 455
How can you reduce weight and not sacrifice sound? Magnets, housing, and a stiff chassis to reduce resonance cannot be compromised. Are we audiophiles, or casual listeners with expensive tastes? What is the target of Audeze?

I'd argue that a weight reduction won't necessarily compromise sound quality.

Hifiman did it with their HE-560, which trades blows with the LCD-3 at half the price IMO.

And then if you'd look at other techs, e-stats are very light, and yet they sound very very very good.

Oct 26, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #179 of 455

My thoughts exactly.  The most I expect from Audeze is a suspension headband design like the one shown on the Prototype-Z.  I wouldn't want compromised sound.

Oct 26, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #180 of 455
Having one side of magnets increases second harmonic distortion, and I don't believe Audeze has been motivated by those goals. This is what separates them from Hifiman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back