New Audeze LCD3
May 23, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #5,806 of 11,521
most likely excessive compression in the soundtrack.

it is more prevalent than you think. 
frown.gif

May 23, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #5,808 of 11,521
Has anyone tried the stiffer LCD-2 pads on the LCD-3?

May 23, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #5,809 of 11,521
I haven't, but I do think there are at least 2 different versions of LCD-3 pads.  I ordered a pair from the original batch, and they came with the very thick, firm pads that were seen in the early pictures of LCD-3s.  I found them much firmer and more uncomfortable than my LCD-2 pads, and I owned both an original ("classic LCD-2") set of pads and the revised, thicker pads that apparently ship stock with the Rev. 2s and are sold separately.

When I got my LCD-3s back from RMA, they came back with pads that were similar to my classic LCD-2's pads in terms of size, but somehow more comfortable.  They're much squishier and smaller than the original LCD-3 pads, and yet for me they help alleviate the headband clamping force better than any of the LCD-2 pads (original or Rev. 2) or the original LCD-3 pads.

I'm speaking based on my personal opinion of comfort, of course.  But it seems clear to me that Audeze made a change in my set of pads from the original LCD-3 to post-RMA.

May 23, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #5,810 of 11,521
Just got a new toy to play with, in-keeping with the theme of this thread. 
wink.gif

The LCD-3's comfort definitely seems to have improved over the LCD-2 rev. 2 I still have - the pads on this LCD-3 are super soft and the fit is much more snug and without the clamping being excessively tight to my preference.

Sonically, the LCD-3 is a clear but subtle step up from the LCD-2 and so-far I'm super-impressed. At first I thought it was dark-sounding, but there'e plenty of extension and neutrality; what I think gives it an almost dark-sounding character is the background which seems to be black as the middle of the night. Listening to John Coltrane's A Love Supreme now is like hearing the recording as if you were there but without the room ambience that the HD 800 so clearly reveals. It still sounds like there's less frequency extension than the HD 800 though. But that said it seems that the LCD-3 would probably be the easiest headphone to enjoy between it and the HD 800.
Right now I'm really enjoying this LCD-3 and may report back with further impressions. 
o2smile.gif

May 23, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #5,811 of 11,521
Quote:
Just got a new toy to play with, in-keeping with the theme of this thread. 
wink.gif

The LCD-3's comfort definitely seems to have improved over the LCD-2 rev. 2 I still have - the pads on this LCD-3 are super soft and the fit is much more snug and without the clamping being excessively tight to my preference.

Sonically, the LCD-3 is a clear but subtle step up from the LCD-2 and so-far I'm super-impressed. At first I thought it was dark-sounding, but there'e plenty of extension and neutrality; what I think gives it an almost dark-sounding character is the background which seems to be black as the middle of the night. Listening to John Coltrane's A Love Supreme now is like hearing the recording as if you were there but without the room ambience that the HD 800 so clearly reveals. It still sounds like there's less frequency extension than the HD 800 though. But that said it seems that the LCD-3 would probably be the easiest headphone to enjoy between it and the HD 800.
Right now I'm really enjoying this LCD-3 and may report back with further impressions. 
o2smile.gif

Hope to hear more impressions from you, or a review.

May 24, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #5,812 of 11,521
I want the vegan pads.

May 24, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #5,813 of 11,521
I have both the HD800 and LCD-3 ( amps used are SPL Phonitor and Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire, with front end dac being an Audiolab M-DAC).

To say that either headphone is better than the other would be a mistake for sure.
Both are a bit different in presentation, but both are equally very good at what they do
(providing you have good equipment and cabling in front of them of course).

I really think these two headphones complement each other very well.

I'm still on the fence as to whether a SR-009 setup would be worth the additional cost of admission?
(I doubt this is a direction I will go - at least for now).

May 24, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #5,814 of 11,521
Quote:
I want the vegan pads.

I tried the vegan pads briefly and found them very comfortable, but I also really like the leather pads on my 3s. As others have observed, they are squashier (apologies to my English teachers) than the ones used on my 2s and apparently on some early 3s. And they seem to seal better.

BTW, the 2s have been gathering dust since the 3s arrived.

May 24, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #5,817 of 11,521
Quote:

Absolutely agree. We all hear differently so when you cross certain price boundaries, it really comes down to taste. What I do think we can agree on to a larger extent is that certain headphones (only looking at still in production models) hold close performance levels, such as IMO, the Hifiman HE-6, LCD-3 (rma'd), Stax 007 m2, Stax 009 and HD-800 forming the top tier of performance, followed by IMO again, a second tier consisting of the Hifiman HE-500, Beyerdynamic T1, Grado PS1000, Stax SR-507,Sony MDR-SA5000 and Sennheiser HD-650. These class divisions are still debatable (I'm sure some people would question the HD-650s inclusion in "tier 2") but it's probably easier to group headphones by boundaries rather than as "best" or "second best" as that would be more subjective.

dyl1dyl stole my money recently when he pretended to sell some nice headphones to me. He is not a good person at all and should be banned from this site. See our trading history to see the proof.

May 24, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #5,818 of 11,521
How about starting a new thread and providing proof?  All I see is mutual negative feedback on the part of both parties with no indication as to evidence either way.

Edit - just found your "proof" in his FS listing.  I suggest contacting the mods.  If he convinced you to under-insure it and you didn't use a credit card, you may be out of luck.

May 24, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #5,819 of 11,521
How about just dropping it and taking it to private. If you were done wrong gather your documentation and report it.

May 24, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #5,820 of 11,521
Sigh yet another scam on the F/S forum.  But yes take it to PMs with a mod AND CALL THE POLICE.  If you have it in writing that the payment was for headphones and not a box, money was paid, and the item not received... that's call the police time :wink:  This isn't an insurance thing since its not damaged, it was never there /facepalm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back