New Audeze LCD3
Apr 19, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #5,236 of 11,521
Three pairs of the newer production unveiled models I measured showed very good consistency with each other. That is, you could swap any of the drivers, left or right, of one pair with any other pair without adverse audible results.

The true test however will be in the long term. I am however pretty geeked about Audeze's significantly improved QC, but yet at the same time, I have to be cautious because I don't want anyone blaming me if they get a lemon or all the drivers suddenly start to shred or explode. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #5,240 of 11,521
* running in circles *

Receive my LCD-3s next week. Total wooden headphone portfolio score is 3.

Apr 20, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #5,241 of 11,521
Would the LCD3's be a worthwhile upgrade used in conjunction with my LYR, Burson, or Lehmann amps?  I know Macedonian Hero didn't think the LYR did them justice, but I'm curious what any other owners think.

Apr 20, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #5,242 of 11,521
Why not? Not doing them justice doesn't mean it sounds bad. It simply means they can sound better if you want to drop another $10k on a amp and yet another $26k on a DAC.

But heck, I felt the LCD3 sounded pretty good directly out of a VAIO laptop.

Apr 20, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #5,243 of 11,521

Quote:
Would the LCD3's be a worthwhile upgrade used in conjunction with my LYR, Burson, or Lehmann amps?  I know Macedonian Hero didn't think the LYR did them justice, but I'm curious what any other owners think.

I'd advise you to upgrade your amp first. It is not about "do justice", but IMO a balanced or healthy headphone system requiring good headphones, better amps and even better sources. 

Apr 20, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #5,244 of 11,521
Agreed! Make sure the amp is a healthy $1095 or more. However, I also strongly feel such an amp should be appropriately balanced with a DAC costing at least as much the amp. 
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 20, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #5,245 of 11,521
I sent my pre-order pair of LCD-3s back to you guys on January 6, for pad issues, and received a replacement pair on February 10. I assumed I had gotten the latest version of the LCD-3 with all the refinements, but realized this wasn't the case, as I still had felt dampening materials behind the grill.

I have since sent my headphones back (they arrived at Audez'e Wednesday) for a requested 'dampening material upgrade.' They're scheduled to be delivered back to me on Monday, so kudos to Audez'e for a quick turn around. Whether or not they just 'fixed' my pair or sent me a 'new' pair is yet to be determined.

Assuming I just get my pair back, with upgraded dampening materials, do I have the 'improved' version now, or are my February 10th drivers inferior?

This whole situation is so confusing... All I want is a final product which functions as the designers originally intended.

Apr 20, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #5,246 of 11,521
From what I could tell, it was more than a dampening materials upgrade. Can you post the measurements that Audeze supplied? The newest "unveiled" LCD3s extend flat further up to 1.5-2kHz before rolling off.

Apr 21, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #5,247 of 11,521

Quote:
From what I could tell, it was more than a dampening materials upgrade. Can you post the measurements that Audeze supplied? The newest "unveiled" LCD3s extend flat further up to 1.5-2kHz before rolling off.

I won't have the headphones back till Monday, but the graph from my first RMA'd pair is as follows:

And this is the graph from my original 11/11/11 pre-order pair:

Apr 21, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #5,248 of 11,521

Quote:

I put some foam in your original LCD-3 and it didn't sound the way you describe your good pairs. 

Apr 21, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #5,249 of 11,521
@GMF:

• Your original pair is definitely veiled. 
  • Your first RMA'd pair appears to be what I would call a transitional pair between the veiled and fully un-veiled models. (And yes, I've actually gotten my hands on one of these transitional pairs.) This transitional pair has slightly better performance than the veiled model, but IMO it is far from the fully un-veiled "super" LCD3.

Fully un-veiled super LCD3s should look similar to this: http://cdn.head-fi.org/d/dc/dc9e2620_marvlcd3.jpeg. The response should be a line extending past 1.5kHz and slowing rolling off with a little dip just past 4kHz.

Apr 21, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #5,250 of 11,521
Thanks for the info. I can only hope Audez'e realized that my pair needed more than just a dampening upgrade and replaced my drivers as well... If not, I have no qualms about sending them back again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back