New Audeze LCD3
Apr 6, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #4,981 of 11,521

Quote:

Oh cool...good, the Lyr should drive them to well enough. Welcome to the hobby and my condolences to your wallet. I imagine the Asus has a pair (L+R) RCA outs? Then a pair of RCA cables from Radioshack should do it. What tubes are you using in your Lyr?

Yep, I am getting that RCA wire first thing in the morning.  Schiit gave me two stock options the JJ ECC88 tubes or NOS GE 6BZ7 tubes.  I selected ECC88. 

Apr 6, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #4,982 of 11,521

Quote:

Yep, I am getting that RCA wire first thing in the morning.  Schiit gave me two stock options the JJ ECC88 tubes or NOS GE 6BZ7 tubes.  I selected ECC88. 

Actually I much preferred the GE 6BZ7s (especially with the LCD-2/3s). The JJ's were adequate at best. The NOS GEs were quite a step up IMO.

Apr 6, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #4,983 of 11,521
Apr 6, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #4,984 of 11,521

Quote:
If you use a 24 bit DAC it won't be audible so it doesn't really matter.

Not sure what the Asus DAC is, but just the thought of those lost bits....
tongue.gif

Apr 6, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #4,985 of 11,521

Quote:
Actually I much preferred the GE 6BZ7s (especially with the LCD-2/3s). The JJ's were adequate at best. The NOS GEs were quite a step up IMO.

Ah I wish I knew this, I went with the E88CC because it listed as $40 per set.  The 6BZ7 is only $20 so I might get it next week to try it out.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Apr 6, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #4,986 of 11,521
Apr 6, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #4,987 of 11,521

Quote:
Mine should be back early next week. Hard to believe that they'd get any better. I've been listening to my other headphones since last Monday and man do I miss my LCD-3s.
L3000.gif

FWIW, no other headphone has sounded as true to real life as my LCD-3s have. II've heard the O2 mkI and mk2 on several occasions and after a few moments of really liking the mk1s, I just couldn't help that the lack of tonal weight made me think of myself in the Matrix as things didn't quite seem real. The MK2 was just off to my ears. FWIW, amps used, SR007t,, SR717 and KGSS.

I haven't heard the SR-009s and hopefully will some time sooner than later. That said, glad to see that Audeze seems to have things back under control and can get back to making some of the very best headphones out there.

Peter, can I ask why you decided to RMA your LCD3? Just curious because you seemed to be one of the lucky people that got an "un-veiled" pair at launch. And it's also sorta curious that Audeze decided to replace your perfectly functioning "un-veiled" drivers. 

Given reports from several people that have heard different pairs of LCD3s that claim that they all sound different, I'd be terrified of turning in a "good" pair for another that may not sound as good. 

Apr 6, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #4,988 of 11,521

Quote:
Peter, can I ask why you decided to RMA your LCD3? Just curious because you seemed to be one of the lucky people that got an "un-veiled" pair at launch. And it's also sorta curious that Audeze decided to replace your perfectly functioning "un-veiled" drivers. 

Given reports from several people that have heard different pairs of LCD3s that claim that they all sound different, I'd be terrified of turning in a "good" pair for another that may not sound as good. 

A few others with non-veiled units returned theirs and noticed a slight improvement...so I guess piece of mind.
smile.gif
They didn't replace my pair FWIW, same serial number coming back to me. With regards to the varying headphones, I think that was veiled vs. non-veiled. I think all they did was change the damping around my particular pair to the current materials used on the most recent shipments.

Apr 6, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #4,989 of 11,521
     Quote:
A few others with non-veiled units returned theirs and noticed a slight improvement...so I guess piece of mind.
smile.gif
They didn't replace my pair FWIW, same serial number coming back to me. With regards to the varying headphones, I think that was veiled vs. non-veiled. I think all they did was change the damping around my particular pair to the current materials used on the most recent shipments.

I tend to agree.  My serial number was the same and the wood earcups weren't replaced so I assume the drivers weren't either.  Considering the fast turn around times, I can't imagine they are swapping drivers out of the earpieces.

-HK sends 

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #4,990 of 11,521

Quote:
smile.gif

Do they sound the same?  If they changed the damping they probably changed the drivers too.  It may in fact be very easy for them to put new drivers in, I believe they are just screw mounted onto that big frame so it could be as easy as 8 screws per channel plus a quick solder. 

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #4,991 of 11,521

Quote:
Do they sound the same?  If they changed the damping they probably changed the drivers too.  It may in fact be very easy for them to put new drivers in, I believe they are just screw mounted onto that big frame so it could be as easy as 8 screws per channel plus a quick solder. 

Will report back when I get them early next week.

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #4,992 of 11,521
Looking forward to that.

By the way, I don't think there would be a "bad pair" anymore, if the pair were produced after around 23 Feb, since that's the date when the "new" LCD3s started to be shipped. So for those who purchased their LCD3 recently, you are not likely getting a veiled-pair.

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #4,995 of 11,521
Well, after a driver failure, I'm on my 3rd LCD-3 now. I had one of the non-veiled pairs, so I was naturally curious what the new pair would sound like. I got it a few weeks ago, and the sound is a bit different; bass, while narrowly less in quantity, is even tighter and precise, mids are presented more upfront and the highs seem to have been boosted to a degree. However, by far the most noticeable difference is one of timing; this is one fast pair in presenting details. Everything is crisper, more resolved and tighter. The soundstage also appears to be wider and deeper. I'm curious to find out to what extent, if any, these characteristics will vary over time, in case the diaphragm tension decreases for whatever reason, something to which Purrin had alluded in one of his posts.

FWIW, the serial number of the replacement unit is lower than the one of the pair I had sent in, despite the fact that it was from one of the first batches (ordered on release day and received several days afterwards). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back