New Audeze LCD3
Mar 15, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #4,411 of 11,521
What's so special with this new iPad?

Mar 15, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #4,412 of 11,521
as with any apple product, when a new version with a higher number comes out, all the fans will fight over the right to spend money on it - regardless of what actual changes may or may not exist

Quote:
What's so special with this new iPad?

Mar 15, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #4,413 of 11,521

Quote:
as with any apple product, when a new version with a higher number comes out, all the fans will fight over the right to spend money on it - regardless of what actual changes may or may not exist

Sound suspiciously similar to a certain site.

Mar 15, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #4,414 of 11,521

Quote:

Actually some pretty significant improvements to the camera and the display on the iPad3.  For people in grapic arts/photography, like myself, that is pretty important (at least the display part is, not the camera).  I won't be investing in one though.  I don't use the camera very much at all and the improvement to the better Retina Display is just not worth the added $ to me to sell my 2 and buy a 3.  That said, I believe they kept the price the same.  You can get an iPad2 a pretty significant discount while supplies last, and or while the thronging masses are dumping there lower number for a higher one. 

Mar 15, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #4,415 of 11,521
OT Alert:

They should have changed the aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:9 when they upped the resolution for the new iPad.

Mar 15, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #4,416 of 11,521
I guess the display is the biggest improvement. I don't give a dime of the ipad camera. Completely useless IMO, and very disturbing when in a show or live where lots of people shooting with ipad. 

Mar 15, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #4,417 of 11,521

Quote:

Not like we couldn't say the same thing and replace "Apple" with "Audeze, Stax, Sennheiser, etc etc".
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #4,419 of 11,521
I've just picked up the new iPad this morning and synced my tracks onto it. My very very preliminary review (compared to the iPad 1) is here :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/599365/ipad-3-anticipation/45#post_8228886

Unfortunately I don't have LCD-3's try on this new toy.

Mar 16, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #4,420 of 11,521

Quote:
I compared the rev.1 and the rev.2 on the Violectric V200 and the rev.2 needed 2-3 steps up to sound the same. Not much, but definetly a difference. 

I read somewhere that planars actually respond postitvly to the voltage swing-capabilites of an OTL, I don know much about technicalities. Anybody fill me in?

In theory, no.  OTLs have good voltage swing but poor current drive in general...this is the opposite of what the LCD2 needs for optimum drive.  In practice my LCD2s still sound quite nice out of my cheap ebay clone earmax OTL, which is good for a few milliwats I think.  I am so amazed by the musical treble purity of my cheap OTL that I have sworn myself from transformer coupled amps.  Hybrids also seem to share this purity in treble quality in my XCAN V3.  Still wishing I could afford the ultimate tube type amp for my LCD2s.

Quote:
Quote:

It's interesting how noticeably more similar your graph is to mine, esp. compared to Purrin's (in the Measurement thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/580283/lcd3-measurements/210) Both have a slight dip in the 20-ish and under region, but most noticeably a smooth, almost straight ramp down between 1kHz ~ 3kHz followed by a couple of bumps. Also interesting that your serial# is higher than mine by a couple of hundreds, but is from fall 2011, much earlier... hmmmm.

Anyhow, it still sounds fantastic to me, stayed up way later than I should have. One of those wow moments was when I listened to an organ concerto album that I've had for probably half my adult life, and listened to on just about any equipment I have owned on and off (you have to be in the mood for organ :) and I honestly have never heard it it like that. I think a lot has to to do with the strong, very low bass sounds that play such a big part in organ music, and the fact that because of the loudness in some other parts it was often at the verge (or past) some distortion. But the LCD-3 delivers! (probably the LCD-2 too given their similarities) It was also the first time I listened to a ~Suzanne Vega~ song ("Headshots") and though, wow that's some bass in there :)

Unfortunately for some, subbass definition is heard everday which leaves exactly one manufacturer that can provide this satisfactorily.  This transducer resides in a headphone.

Mar 16, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #4,421 of 11,521
Slightly more impressions. Have spent about 5 hours plus on my pair so far. Sound very similar to my friend's unit so far though mine seems to have a touch more high treble, which is only really noticeable on a few pieces of music anyway. Sounding very good on the whole. Will post graph soon, wanted to do it today but was too busy and had no time to scan the new graph in.

Mar 16, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #4,423 of 11,521
What is the "ringing" issue? I never understand that.

Mar 16, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #4,424 of 11,521
Work from home on Monday?

Quote:
That's funny.  I'm almost in the same boat.  I just got my FedEx tracking info on my RMA'd LCD-3s today and expect to receive them on Monday, and I'm also receiving a FedEx delivery of the new iPad tomorrow.  I did, somehow, managed to convince the right people to be able to work from home tomorrow in order to receive the new iPad when FedEx arrives at my home, but, sadly, my LCD-3 won't arrive until Monday.  In any event, like you, I think I'm just as excited to get my LCD-3s back as I am with getting the new iPad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back