New Audeze LCD3
Mar 14, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #4,381 of 11,521

Quote:

Also - I asked this before but didn't get an answer:

Are the early batches of LCD-3's more likely to have the "veil" or whatever problem with the driver? Anyone has a trace of opinion on that?

There is no answer to your question other than a guess and perhaps a wild guess at that.  Who knows what to expect.  At first everyone swore that there was no veil and then there was, then supposedly a tighter QC process came into being because drivers were failing.  Returned "veiled" LCD-3's turned into exchanged  LCD-3 that now no longer had the unofficial mysterious veil and a better QC only to find that someone with the more closely watched LCD-3 had a driver fail and perhaps sound different  at the same time.   Wild guess, crap shoot, game of roulette perhaps.   

Mar 14, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #4,384 of 11,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Are the LCD-3 more similar in sound sig to the LCD-2 rev.1 or rev.2 ? 

From every comment I've read here the Rev. 1. God I wish I could hear a Rev. 1.

Thanks.... What about the ears ringing-reports - seems like several people had some short term mini-tinnitus after listening to the LCD-3??

It will depend on the person, how often they are listening, how loud, how heavy the music, etc...I am concerned about this am watching like a hawk for anymore signs of it happening. I don't care how good a headphone is, that's not worth it.

Mar 14, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #4,385 of 11,521
Here is my LCD-3 FR graph if anyone is interested or has any comments. I'm the one who said mine was a little peaky in the upper mids or highs and I needed tweaks (like warmer cables/tubes) for it.
Thanks.

Mar 14, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #4,386 of 11,521

Quote:
Here is my LCD-3 FR graph if anyone is interested or has any comments. I'm the one who said mine was a little peaky in the upper mids or highs and I needed tweaks (like warmer cables/tubes) for it.
Thanks.

You have the same problem on the Apex and the B52?

Mar 14, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #4,388 of 11,521
Great to hear that the WA2 is up for the task!

I run the LCD-2 rev1 from my WA2 and really like it. I learn't today that LCD-2 r2 is a little more demanding, and I my guess is that the claims of dismatch comes primarily from r2 owners that listen louder that I do.. What tubes are you using, if I may ask?
Quote:
Just joined the club this weekend.

Hooked up to a new WA-2, the best "real"/OTL tube amp at the limit of my budget that I could find. Supposedly under-powered, I've read. But with some new tubes and listening barely past 12 o'clock, it sounds absolutely wonderful to me. This is the most substantial investment in a long while for me, and I was really worried whether it would be equally substantial in SQ improvement to justify the cost,.. well it is, as it became clear quickly.

Especially after my T1 debacle (OK that's bit strong, but barely more than the treble & sibilance on that thing...). Through headphone.com I found out after the fact, by way of their charts, that despite being a flagship product it was actually worse in the one area that bothered me with my longtime companion, the W5000. Poking around it seemed the LCDs were the best cure. I picked the LCD-3 in an eff-it moment: if that doesn't take care of my issue with treble, what else could?

I feel that in terms of sound signature, these two are almost at the opposite end of the spectrum, and to me it's clear which side I come down on. Everything just sounds -right-. My W3000ANV is still nicer for some vocals and jazz by emphasizing some areas, but of course that means de-emphasizing others. It's not neutral, by choice. The LCD-3 is more balanced in that sense, and it's the one I'd pick if I could only pick one headphone for everything.

I also experienced the "suction-cup" effect, it's a bit weird since they are open in terms of sound despite that. It made me wonder if somebody hasn't tried to make fitted, properly dampened cups (a la Thunderpants) to could be screwed on in replacement for the grills for those situation you need more isolation (both ways) Anyway I'm getting used to it. It's the squishy pads, semi-transparent driver cover version btw. They are surprisingly comfortable for their weight.

I strongly doubt my pair would be veiled, can't really say there's anything missing as far as I can hear. But it seems pretty vague given how many here aren't quite sure either, so it's this nagging doubt in the back... For those who have experienced both (Purrin...) is there a piece or song that had a specific part where the issue and later difference  was particularly pronounced?
(Also, my chart for reference: http://www.head-fi.org/t/580283/lcd3-measurements/210#post_8223870)

Last, can anybody comment on the vegan pads, more in terms of comfort? Are they firmer than the current leather ones?

Mar 15, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #4,389 of 11,521
Yep, I hear the peakiness in my Rudistor RP010B too, or directly out of my Luxman integrated amp.
No it does not appear on all recordings, in fact on SACDs it mostly sounds fine, glorious actually. So I do think the LCD3 may be very revealing.
But the Audeze sound I like was a non-fatiguing sound but still with lots of resolution (the audio Holy Grail, I guess).

Mar 15, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #4,390 of 11,521
Quote:
Great to hear that the WA2 is up for the task!

I run the LCD-2 rev1 from my WA2 and really like it. I learn't today that LCD-2 r2 is a little more demanding, and I my guess is that the claims of dismatch comes primarily from r2 owners that listen louder that I do.. What tubes are you using, if I may ask?

Well, the LCD-3 has lower impedance and is slightly more sensitive, that might make it easier to drive overall. But I don't think it's that huge a difference to the LCD-2 and I have to wonder how much it can be between the R1 and R2 of the same model. But mostly, like you wrote, it may depend on how loud one listens.

However, to do the burn-in, I have the WA2 at maximum volume, and there's still no distortion as I'm using the LCD-3 like quasi-desktop speakers (would never put that next to my ears...) I tried it with the Valhalla, it actually sounds OK at my listening volume, but once I turn it up past 1-2 o'clock, the distortion starts and only gets worse from there, so the WA2 definitely has more omph.

My tubes aren't anything particularly exotic AFAIK, some Tesla 6CA4 / EZ81 NOS rectifiers, Genalex - Gold Lion E88CC drivers and Winged "C" 6H13C / 6AS7G powertubes - just love the coke bottle design! I listened to the included tubes for a bit, but honestly can't hear that much of a difference, esp. since one can't just switch back and forth easily. But tube rolling is definitely something I look forward to in the future. Right now I'm just happy listening to my combo as it is!

Mar 15, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #4,391 of 11,521

Quote:
Yep, I hear the peakiness in my Rudistor RP010B too, or directly out of my Luxman integrated amp.
No it does not appear on all recordings, in fact on SACDs it mostly sounds fine, glorious actually. So I do think the LCD3 may be very revealing.
But the Audeze sound I like was a non-fatiguing sound but still with lots of resolution (the audio Holy Grail, I guess).

I would think the problem might come pairing of LCD3 and the 010B. To me the LCD3 from 010B is slight a bit hash on certain passages.

Mar 15, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #4,392 of 11,521
LCD-3s back from RMA :)

Mar 15, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #4,393 of 11,521
That's fast! How's the sound?

Mar 15, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #4,394 of 11,521

Quote:
That's fast! How's the sound?

Not as fast as the leaders and follwers of the hype train, or the opposite of the hype train...whatever that is called. 
cool.gif

Mar 15, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #4,395 of 11,521
I should be receiving mine back tomorrow.  Will definitely post some impressions after the weekend.  I'm actually as excited to get them back as I am about getting the new iPad.  Too bad I'll be stuck at work for 8 hours after they arrive!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back