New Audeze LCD3
Mar 12, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #4,321 of 11,521

Quote:
I may buy another but audeze isnt going to have any more in stock for a week. I am hesitant about buying any from a store that has had its stock for a couple of weeks.

I believe this is the right way to proceed. I doubt there are massive quantities of LCD-3 out there at resellers -- it's too expensive to keep large inventories -- but I still wouldn't take the chance and would only buy direct from Audez'e for a while.

Mar 12, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #4,322 of 11,521

Quote:
I'm tempted to say that these don't sound quite as fast as pair #2, but it's likely the new toy luster has worn off. In comparing to the HD800, #3 are faster and cleaner sounding; and it's not even close. This #3 pair seems to have a bit more bass, but it's still mid-centric like #2. Pair #3 also lacks the ringing at 3kHz that I heard on #2 (I took measurements of #2, but didn't bother to same them.) In other words, I'm happy - probably happier given the lack of midrange shout. I'll take measurements later - need to take an afternoon nap with them on the couch right now.

So #3 is faster and cleaner than 800 but #3 not as fast and clean as #2?

Mar 12, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #4,323 of 11,521
Hard to say without direct comparison. I'll let you hear it since you heard both. Both #2 and #3 are in the same league though.

Mar 12, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #4,324 of 11,521
Still kind of sad that even among super duper amaz-o pairs, there's still variation.  Which suggests it's not a simple "have it or not have it" problem and there may be a lot of gray area between the super and the veil.  :frowning2:

Mar 12, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #4,325 of 11,521
Quote:
So just got my replacement LCD3s less than 48 hours after shipping off my "veiled" pair at USPS. Holy crap - they are fine sounding! Now I finally get what people were saying at CanJam about these having 'stat speed and being comparable to the 007s.

Quote:
That's great news. Maybe I should put these back on my future purchase list.

beerchug.gif

Quote:
I just received my pair yesterday and I´m beginning to think that my pair is one of the unlucky "veiled" ones.

frown.gif

Quote:
The LCD3 are truly awesome. Everything that was said about them at CanJam was true.

Unfortunately, the left driver on my replacement pair just died. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

eek.gif

frown.gif
blink.gif
mad.gif
confused.gif

Quote:
Fix the headband please! Make it wider so that it spreads the weight better. And most importantly, get rid of the annoying ridges on the padding. I had to sell it because those ridges were making my head painful.

Perhaps a metal band with plain foam would help
L3000.gif

Quote:

I just feel sorry for them, and equally for the affected customers.

X2

Quote:
I wonder what the odds are of getting a perfect pair the first time is.

popcorn.gif

Quote:
that sticker is pretty funny, Radio_head.

biggrin.gif
Agreed! Glad they can have a sense of humor regarding this.

Quote:
Still kind of sad that even among super duper amaz-o pairs, there's still variation.  Which suggests it's not a simple "have it or not have it" problem and there may be a lot of gray area between the super and the veil.  :frowning2:

confused_face_2.gif

Mar 12, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #4,326 of 11,521

Quote:
Perhaps a metal band with plain foam would help
L3000.gif

Agreed.  I was a super duper fan of that short lived headband.  It can still be special ordered on the site right?  Thought I saw that...

Mar 12, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #4,327 of 11,521
Quote:
Agreed.  I was a super duper fan of that short lived headband.  It can still be special ordered on the site right?  Thought I saw that...

The metal headband never really bothered me but I switched it out for the leather on a whim when I ordered the travel case. The leather looks a little nicer but I didn't mind the looks of the metal either. And while I don't find the leather uncomfortable, the metal is a little better in this regard. I guess I am easier to please ergonomically than some of us.

I don't see the metal headband in their accessories section, so like the vegan options it must be a by request thing if it's available at all.

Mar 12, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #4,328 of 11,521

Quote:
Hard to say without direct comparison. I'll let you hear it since you heard both. Both #2 and #3 are in the same league though.

beerchug.gif
,great!

Mar 13, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #4,330 of 11,521
One word, Wow. A friend of mine just got his LCD-3s back from RMA. The difference is unbelievable. Prior to this, my pair was noticeably clearer than his with tighter bass and clearer mids, especially vocals. However, his RMA'd pair are just stunning. After A-Bing them with his 009-WES setup, I can confidently say that I have absolutely no desire to get the 009s now. Prior to this, even with my "unveiled" pair of LCD-3s, I still found them to still lack certain traits, namely speed and absolute detail when compared to the Stax 007 and 009 or the HD-800s and thus I was preparing to get one of those headphones to pair with the LCD-3s. However, I can very safely say that my friend's new pair are just amazing. This is a very subjective thing but both my friend and I prefered the LCD-3s from his RWA Audez'e Edition to his 009-WES Setup. The source for the comparison was my MOON 750D. I am frankly quite in awe of the LCD-3s now. I found that the 009s still had a tiny bit more detail and slightly airier highs. However, the LCD-3s noticeably superior bass, luscious romantic yet crystal clear midrange and smooth, unfatiguing yet well extended highs just make them better to me. Btw, my friend also managed to try out his new pair with the local dealer's Liquid fire and said that that pairing (from a humble Schiit Bifrost) was even better than the setup I heard with him. Haha, all this prompted me to send in my pair (A very early unit, has the thick non see through foam). Hopefully I'll get soemthing like Purrin, Jian or my friend's unit.

Mar 13, 2012 at 6:37 AM Post #4,331 of 11,521
You impression on the RMA mirrors mine, and the 009 can wait. Hope you get your replacement back soon.

Mar 13, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #4,332 of 11,521

Quote:
You impression on the RMA impression mirrors mine, and the 009 can wait. Hope you get your replacement back soon.

Haha, yup. Sent it about 1.5 weeks back (Once I heard my friend's returned pair). Now that I've clocked 50+ hours on my friend's unit, I know that its no placebo but that the new one is definietly better. Will post more impressions on my returned pair once I get them.

Mar 13, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #4,333 of 11,521

Quote:
Quote:

x3

I have been wanting to order a pair of these ever since reading all the initial rave reviews, and because of my long term love affair with my R1s.  So long in fact that there has never been a time period of this length where I have owned a headphone and not even begun to think of trying something new, and/or upgrading, in my entire experience with headphones.  I am that smitten with the R1.  So if what purrin says with regards to maintaining the R1 sound but elevating to a much improved level, then I surely plan to order a pair in the future.  It's just a shame that I still don't see that happening any time soon because of the "when it rains it pours" level of debacles.

I wish all the best to Audeze though and truly hope they find a permanent remedy to their woes.  My R1 has performed flawlessly since purchase, knock on wood, and based on that experience I would rather not associate Audeze with issues and unreliability.  So with that I sit patiently and remain optimistic.

I find myself in the same position as you...funny how history doesn't always repeat itself heh?
wink.gif

Ima startn ta think that the LCD3 is merely a rebadged variation of our R1s hehehe!

Quote:
Plankton is just another word for me meaning resolution, low-level information, etc. I've decided I will no longer use the word "detail" because it may mean different things to different people. The best way is to illustrate. For example, IMO: the SRH840 is a very detailed headphone, but with very little plankton; the Benchmark DAC1 is a very detailed DAC with some semblance of plankton; the RS1 is a very detailed headphone with decent plankton, the LCD2r1 is detailed, but with deficiencies reproducing plankton, the HD650 has good plankton despite being dark and not necessarily detailed sounding, etc.

Of course YMMV. The recording, source, and amp must be of sufficient quality for the plankton to be rendered.

Which is prolly why I have no clue what this ones tryna say. 
confused_face_2.gif

Mar 13, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #4,334 of 11,521

Quote:
I find myself in the same position as you...funny how history doesn't always repeat itself heh?
wink.gif

Ima startn ta think that the LCD3 is merely a rebadged variation of our R1s hehehe!

Haha, don't give Audez'e any ideas or they might launch a LCD-4 which is a remake of the LCD2.2 and charge us 3k for it. But more seriously, you should really get a pair of LCD-3s. The current production ones really trump the LCD-2s by a very large margin, so much that they are now imo easily comaprable if not superior to the Stax flagships. Just pray that you get a good (non-failing) unit :)

Mar 13, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #4,335 of 11,521
Bah, it'll take more than the ramblings of fanboys of all marques before I buy an LCD3...like more money, which I lost of all of mine thanks to Greece.  Man I was gettin rich before then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back