New Audeze LCD3
Oct 13, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #11,176 of 11,521
Has anyone tried vegan pads with the non-fazor?

I have them on my LCD2.2

there was a slight difference there because it was already creamy

The vegan pads make a much larger difference on the LCD3f IMHO. It's not perfect but it's definitely better. Still a itty bitty touch of shrill with specific recordings but mostly gone.

I don't know why i waited so long to do this, probably reading posts where people say it makes no difference. You can clearly still hear the detail and air it's just not shrill anymore

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #11,177 of 11,521
Can any other vegan users chime in? If I could dull the 10k accentuation on this 2016 pair if really like that. Does it lower all the treble overall? My pair is quite dark as is, just has a strong 10k peak

Yes the vegan pads lower all the treble a bit. In some audio system the reduced amount of low and mid treble will make the sound a bit duller. 

You can try to put some surgical tape on the inside of the leather pads. With this mod you can chose how much of the inside you want to cover with surgical tape.  

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #11,178 of 11,521
Guys, after all that uphold and excitement, I've received the headphones today. I had bought them from headphone.com When I opened the box there was no frequency response chart to be founded. I actually got so bummed, I even didn't give a try to the headphones. How could they forget something like this? Or was this a unit that was previously returned, and this page was lost during while? I honestly don't know. I sent an e-mail to Audeze. There was a handsigned Certificate of Authenticity but that's all...

OK, a little edit here: I'm not really as concerned as the missing frequency response chart or solution-cleaning pads (were previously included). I'm just bummed by the fact this is a unit that was previously returned for some reason. That little seed of though that there might be something wrong with the phones was what saddened me.

It's all about the sound...

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #11,179 of 11,521
  Guys, after all that uphold and excitement, I've received the headphones today. I had bought them from headphone.com When I opened the box there was no frequency response chart to be founded. I actually got so bummed, I even didn't give a try to the headphones. How could they forget something like this? Or was this a unit that was previously returned, and this page was lost during while? I honestly don't know. I sent an e-mail to Audeze. There was a handsigned Certificate of Authenticity but that's all...

OK, a little edit here: I'm not really as concerned as the missing frequency response chart or solution-cleaning pads (were previously included). I'm just bummed by the fact this is a unit that was previously returned for some reason. That little seed of though that there might be something wrong with the phones was what saddened me.

Is it a fact that they were returned then sold as new? What would be the reasoning?

Oct 14, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #11,182 of 11,521
Ah Schiit Gumby and Mjolnir are taking long time to warm up. When I gave them a listen, I had this sudden rush of buyers remorse. The highs were very shrilly. I actually had to stop listening after a while as it was getting fatiguing. I've left amp/dac on for a day now and I could hear music characteristic changing for fuller, less shrilly sound. Honestly, I still find it piercing but not as bad. I guess I also need brain burn in to get used to them.

Oct 14, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #11,184 of 11,521
  Ah Schiit Gumby and Mjolnir are taking long time to warm up. When I gave them a listen, I had this sudden rush of buyers remorse. The highs were very shrilly. I actually had to stop listening after a while as it was getting fatiguing. I've left amp/dac on for a day now and I could hear music characteristic changing for fuller, less shrilly sound. Honestly, I still find it piercing but not as bad. I guess I also need brain burn in to get used to them.

Good tubes will help immensely.

Oct 14, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #11,185 of 11,521
Not sure about the Mjolnir, but with the right tube on my Ember, the LCD3-F can be free of the 10k peak and any sort of shrill. The same shrill inducing kind of music with the Jot or other tubes will have some shrill.

Oct 14, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #11,186 of 11,521
Guys I think we all agree that this 10k peak at its worse can be pretty irritating and antithetical to the reason we originally bought these headphones.  

We know the pads leave a lot of room for reflection of high frequencies, that can vary based on closeness to ear, angle of the pad, and where the pad is resting.  Not only that: the LCD headphones unlike an HD800, or HE560, or even Elear rely on a full seal.  In his regard, the principles of IEM seal are maybe applicable

If some of you guys more annoyed by the 10k peak wouldn't mind: PM me how you perceive the sound to change based on how we wear our headphones in a variety of positions, being 

1) high or low ( include how many notches of the headband you normally wear, and how many notches constitute high or low for you)
2) tight or loose - bringing the drivers closer to the ear and compressing the pads more (requires adjustment of headband and gimbals)
3) forward or back ( accentuating the angling of pads, or negating it)

I'd prefer PM'ing me so I can look at things without anyone's results, or lack of results, influencing anyone else.  I have a rough idea of optimal right now, and would like to see if we arrive at similar conclusions

Why would we have to do this, despite owners of past versions never having to?  Who knows.  Maybe the waveguides make things pickier, or maybe they don't.  However, I know I am not a fan of the 10k treble peak, and maybe there is something we can do to negate it, that doesn't involve buying $100 pads

Oct 14, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #11,187 of 11,521
$60 pads

ftfy

Oct 14, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #11,188 of 11,521

Magni 2 uber and Modi 2MB here, and they don't take as long to warm up (noticeable difference at 30 mins, sounds way better at 3 hours). The Vegan pads reduce teh 10k shrill down to about 15% of what it was. Can still be there in certain tracks but not nearly as bad. Vegan pads can help a lot. 

Oct 15, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #11,189 of 11,521

Heh don't know guys. The peak is bad, sometimes it causes sibilance with cymbals. I"m badly trying to find a solution. I've just ordered these tubes: BEST 7308 PAIR #1C) E188CC=7308 Philips SQ by Mullard NOS 1970 1-2% matched (matched on Amplitrex) × 1

I will give them a listen. Hopefully this peak will go away. Actually, if it ever does, everything about the hp is amazing. If I close the cups with my hands, it takes off 10k peak but also takes off everything else, detail, etc...

Oct 15, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #11,190 of 11,521
Heh don't know guys. The peak is bad, sometimes it causes sibilance with cymbals. I"m badly trying to find a solution. I've just ordered these tubes: [COLOR=555555]BEST 7308 PAIR #1C) E188CC=7308 Philips SQ by Mullard NOS 1970 1-2% matched (matched on Amplitrex) × 1[/COLOR]

[COLOR=555555]I will give them a listen. Hopefully this peak will go away. Actually, if it ever does, everything about the hp is amazing. If I close the cups with my hands, it takes off 10k peak but also takes off everything else, detail, etc...[/COLOR]

Get the pads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back