New Audeze LCD3
Sep 12, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #10,681 of 11,521
EyuiOL-8ff.jpg
Akwpa-Skj2.jpg

It says not Authorized for me...

Sep 12, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #10,682 of 11,521
Sep 12, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #10,683 of 11,521
N
I also heard they no longer do the "upgrade", that is, add fazors to the LCD-3C. However, for $375 you can always buy new drivers which will get you the fazors (and a new 3-year warranty). But you will lose the 50-ohm "C" drivers for the 110-ohm "F" drivers. You will lose a little bass slam but gain a really sweet high end.

I just sent my LCD3s into Audeze for driver replacement up to the Fazors. Cost is $275 plus shipping. Seems very reasonable. Hope that puts an end to all this speculation. I'm assuming that Audeze's policies are consistent.

Sep 12, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #10,684 of 11,521
N
I also heard they no longer do the "upgrade", that is, add fazors to the LCD-3C. However, for $375 you can always buy new drivers which will get you the fazors (and a new 3-year warranty). But you will lose the 50-ohm "C" drivers for the 110-ohm "F" drivers. You will lose a little bass slam but gain a really sweet high end.

I just sent my LCD3s into Audeze for driver replacement up to the Fazors. Cost is $275 plus shipping. Seems very reasonable. Hope that puts an end to all this speculation. I'm assuming that Audeze's policies are consistent.

Interesting. They had definitely stopped that program some time ago including making a post on one of the LCD3 forums here explaining their reasoning (mostly lack of interest if I recall correctly).

Good to see they have begun doing the upgrade again for those interested. Enjoy the new drivers!

Sep 12, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #10,685 of 11,521
Interesting. They had definitely stopped that program some time ago including making a post on one of the LCD3 forums here explaining their reasoning (mostly lack of interest if I recall correctly).

Good to see they have begun doing the upgrade again for those interested. Enjoy the new drivers!

I'm guessing they changed it from an "advertised/listed" option to an "if asked". Also they do the upgrade if they ever have to repair a failed driver.

Cheers

Sep 12, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #10,687 of 11,521
He said "replacement" not "upgrade" so I assume he meant he is getting the 110-ohm F drivers as well as the fazor array?

Im sure that's the case. As far as I know, Audeze never offered the option to put fazors on the existing C driver. When I used the word upgrade, I was referring to the entire driver unit, that's why I added "enjoy the new drivers".:smile:

Just semantics - we're both assuming he's getting the new 110 ohm divers with the fazors.

Sep 12, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #10,688 of 11,521
As far as I know, Audeze never offered the option to put fazors on the existing C driver.

Actually I remember they were doing that for a short time although I'm not 100% positive. Anyone who owns the C driver with fazors has a very unique and rare LCD3.

But what we're not discussing is that Peter_S just replaced his LCD3 drivers for only $275, that is $100 less than Audeze quoted in a previous post. That is great news because there is a good chance that if we keep our LCD3, we will be buying replacement drivers eventually.

Sep 12, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #10,689 of 11,521
Actually I remember they were doing that for a short time although I'm not 100% positive. Anyone who owns the C driver with fazors has a very unique and rare LCD3.

But what we're not discussing is that Peter_S just replaced his LCD3 drivers for only $275, that is $100 less than Audeze quoted in a previous post. That is great news because there is a good chance that if we keep our LCD3, we will be buying replacement drivers eventually.

I'm almost positive they didn't offer "C" drivers with Fazor added as an upgrade. I inquired about doing exactly that when the initial program was announced and was told by Audeze it was not possible. Not really important, though perhaps someone from Audeze can post to confirm.

It is good to see the price drop though with the driver warranty restarting with a full 3 years after replacement, I wonder how many people will actually have to spend money for the repairs unless they bought the LCD3s second hand or from an unauthorized dealer. In a strange way, I'm looking forward to having a set of drivers that lasts long enough for me to start worrying about the warranty running out.

If the damn cans didnt sound so good.....

Travis Larson Band - Shift Happens, Live playing now and sounding fantastic.

Sep 14, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #10,691 of 11,521
Audeze DID offer a fazor only upgrade to the LCD3C. I have a pair. They were very clear that they were NOT upgrading the driver - only adding fazor. And, as I recall (it's been more than a year) the cost was $250-275. I have always wondered how these compare to LCD3F. I'm quite happy with mine.

Sep 14, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #10,693 of 11,521

Thanks, I stand corrected.

Audeze DID offer a fazor only upgrade to the LCD3C. I have a pair. They were very clear that they were NOT upgrading the driver - only adding fazor. And, as I recall (it's been more than a year) the cost was $250-275. I have always wondered how these compare to LCD3F. I'm quite happy with mine.

Ok - looks like I stand corrected then.  Guess I got bad info from whoever I spoke with at Audeze or misunderstood their response.

Sep 14, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #10,694 of 11,521

I just called Audeze and got the confirmation that they are replacing the classic drivers with new drivers that include the Fazors. NOT adding Fazors to the existing classic drivers. This is their current policy and how they treat all such upgrades, based on our phone conversation. Cost was $275.

Sep 14, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #10,695 of 11,521
  I'm not in favor of the fazor :)
What you get in treble you lose it in the bass.

Yes there is certainly a loss of bass from C to F. But I do not believe this loss is due to the addition of the fazor array. Near as I can tell, the loss of bass is due to the replacement of the 50-ohm C driver with the 110-ohm F driver. That's because the magnetic field strength is proportional to current not voltage, and the F driver has less than half the current.

Source: my BSEE comes in handy sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back