New Audeze LCD3
Sep 1, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #10,651 of 11,521

I have the same HP's and narrowed down to those two only.

Just upgraded from the Meier Corda Classic to the Headamp GS-X mk2, what a difference a change in amps makes for both HP's perfect symmetry 

Same I've scaled down drastically after the HD800 and the LCD3. No more IEM, just mainly keeping high end full size cans.

Interesting that quite a few people appear to have settled on this combination of headphones.  I too have the HD800 and LCD3 and am delighted with them.  Straight out of a Hugo - no amp required for either of these.  Just grab the HD800 for classical/live/choral/brass etc and LCD3s for everything else.  Audio heaven 
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #10,653 of 11,521

Interesting that quite a few people appear to have settled on this combination of headphones.  I too have the HD800 and LCD3 and am delighted with them.  Straight out of a Hugo - no amp required for either of these.  Just grab the HD800 for classical/live/choral/brass etc and LCD3s for everything else.  Audio heaven 
biggrin.gif

confused.gif
.....................the statement about "no amp required for either of these" HD800 requires amping for sure! However do agree on genre of music selection.

Enjoy music!

Sep 1, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #10,654 of 11,521

confused.gif
.....................the statement about "no amp required for either of these" HD800 requires amping for sure! However do agree on genre of music selection.

Enjoy music!

Perhaps I should have been more precise.  What I meant is that no separate amp is required when powered from the Hugo.  It really doesn't with the music we're discussing.  I owned a Burson Soloist SL but sold it not long after getting the Hugo - no point with either of the cans mentioned.

Sep 1, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #10,655 of 11,521

Perhaps I should have been more precise.  What I meant is that no separate amp is required when powered from the Hugo.  It really doesn't with the music we're discussing.  I owned a Burson Soloist SL but sold it not long after getting the Hugo - no point with either of the cans mentioned.

Which Hugo are you using? Chord has a great reputation.

Sep 1, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #10,657 of 11,521

AKG 712 is a worthy competitor to the Senn lineup, but LCD3 is in a different class altogether.  IMHO of course . . . 
tongue.gif

I own the K712, as good as it is I don't think it on the same level as the HD800 or the LCD3.
I also own the K812, which I believe is more of the same playing field.

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #10,658 of 11,521
I'm not a big fan of the Senn HD800, but I am really interested in the difference with the Audeze LCD3. I've heard the LCD2 (first version) once and I was surprised by it's finesse. I thought it was connected on a Zodiac Gold DAC.

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #10,659 of 11,521
  I'm not a big fan of the Senn HD800, but I am really interested in the difference with the Audeze LCD3. I've heard the LCD2 (first version) once and I was surprised by it's finesse. I thought it was connected on a Zodiac Gold DAC.

Many people think the LCD-3f - best headphone out there.  I agree with that assessment especially with silver dragon cable.   I haven't heard higher priced headphones, except STAX SR009 which lacked warmth and bass.  

Sep 2, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #10,660 of 11,521

IMO the X's and 3'S are in another league than the 2's.  I liken it to driving a BMW 3 series vs. the 5 & 7.  The two's were nice until you spend some time with the others.  I have both currently and TBH I can't decide which I like better.  The 3's have slightly better transparency and imaging while the X's are a bit more "fun" to listen to.

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #10,661 of 11,521

Depending on the amp I have the HD800=LCD-3F, the HD800 just can't take lower power amps and finesse the sound as well as the LCD-3F

That being said on similar DAC/ Amp setups I would rate the LCD-3F>LCD-X>LCD 2.1>LCD

I have yet to hear the LCD3 1st version

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #10,662 of 11,521
chord hugo here and HD800 and LCD-3F's as well...both wonderful and both sound great through the Hugo

Sep 4, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #10,664 of 11,521
  I'm pulling the trigger for LCD-3F soon and was wondering whats the best amp and dac in the 2000 price range? Please help me go in the right direction, thanks.

I'd give the Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies a serious look.  I haven't heard them, but they seem to have a lot of the design features that make a great amp:  All tubes, outboard power supply, etc.  

http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wa7fireflies.html

I'd highly recommend Silver Dragon cables for your new cans.

Sep 4, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #10,665 of 11,521
  I'm pulling the trigger for LCD-3F soon and was wondering whats the best amp and dac in the 2000 price range? Please help me go in the right direction, thanks.

I love my GSX-mk2 but slightly above the price point you set, at the last head-fi meet I tried out multiple combo's with the LCD-3F including Schiit Rag, Cavalli Liquid Crimson and Carbon, WA5 and WA22, I've owned the Meier Stack and the winner at your price point was the Yulong Sabre it was surprisingly good.

The Yulong paired beautifully with this HP, if you can make it to a meet that's the best way to get a feel for the combo that works for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back