New Audeze LCD3
Aug 14, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #10,622 of 11,521
I will contribute to the LCD3 Classic vs Fazor differences.

I have heard both and my all time favorite headphone is the LCD-3C. Why? Due to the incredibly sublime sub-bass. No other headphone can reproduce it the way the LCD-3 Classic drivers do.
I was pretty disappointed when I heard the Fazor drivers as the first thing I heard was a reduction in volume of the sub-bass and its corresponding impact.
This comes with the territory though, a trade-off because of Fazor's positives: better 3D imaging and more detailed higher midrange/treble area.

Aug 14, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #10,623 of 11,521
   Fazor's positives: better 3D imaging and more detailed higher midrange/treble area.

Yea, I was surprised the LCD3(f) had imaging as good as or better than the HD800, the bass is, of course, far better as well.  + LCD3 is easier to drive.  

biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #10,625 of 11,521
  I was pretty disappointed when I heard the Fazor drivers as the first thing I heard was a reduction in volume of the sub-bass and its corresponding impact.
This comes with the territory though, a trade-off because of Fazor's positives: better 3D imaging and more detailed higher midrange/treble area.

I also heard the loss of sub-bass after my LCD3C was replaced by the LCD3F after an RMA. The primary cause for this was probably the change in driver impedance from 45 to 115 ohms. As any EE will tell you, magnetic flux density is proportional to current, and the LCD3F draws less than half the current of the LCD3C. It is flux that moves the driver and makes the sub-bass. There may be other factors but this is the primary one I believe. Fortunately the LCD3F has one of the best magnet arrays on the market today, which partially compensates for the loss of current. Maybe with less driver movement, the LCD3F driver won't break as often (I hope).

Aug 16, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #10,626 of 11,521
So after fixing the fazor-touching-my-ear issue with some foam that Audeze provided, I'm now finding that the headband is becoming a problem when listening for anything over ~30 minutes. Does it subside as it breaks in? My LCD-2 that I bought used does not cause this issue at all.

Aug 18, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #10,627 of 11,521
EyuiOL-8ff.jpg
Akwpa-Skj2.jpg
  So after fixing the fazor-touching-my-ear issue with some foam that Audeze provided, I'm now finding that the headband is becoming a problem when listening for anything over ~30 minutes. Does it subside as it breaks in? My LCD-2 that I bought used does not cause this issue at all.

I guess it will get more confortable with time ...

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #10,628 of 11,521
No, I have similar issue, which is why ive bought HE-6 (hope HE-6 has better comfort lol). 
After 45min-1 hour I get ache on top of my head. Its probably bcuz the cushoning is so little. 

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #10,629 of 11,521

I've had a similar issue when they were new (bought mine Jan. 2015), i.e. "hotspot" on top of your head. A proper setting of the yokes is also important, have you experimented with that? I wear mine for hours without any comfort issues.

There's also an alternative additional headband option by Lohb (search his posts on the forum) that can fix this. 

Aug 18, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #10,630 of 11,521
I've had a similar issue when they were new (bought mine Jan. 2015), i.e. "hotspot" on top of your head. A proper setting of the yokes is also important, have you experimented with that? I wear mine for hours without any comfort issues.

There's also an alternative additional headband option by Lohb (search his posts on the forum) that can fix this. 

This strap works well.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=181796245878&globalID=EBAY-US

Cheers

Aug 26, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #10,631 of 11,521
Can anyone tell me if Audeze is offering upgrades from the LCD-3c to the LCD-3f?  Also - what is this about veiled and unveiled LCD-3's?  How do you tell if you've got which? 

Thanks, Peter

Aug 27, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #10,634 of 11,521
Thanks. I already spent a half hour looking at the threads with no clear picture. Figured it would be kind and helpful with somebody who knows the answer could just answer.

- I believe only the very early LCD3 models suffered from the veil issue and it has long since been fixed.  I would bet very few "veiled" pairs are still around, so that should be a non-issue.

- I also believe that Audeze is no longer offering the Fazor upgrade because there was a lack of interest in the service.  Though I'd also bet if you called/emailed them they might work with you. 

Could be wrong on both of those, but that was the status of these issues last I recall.

Aug 28, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #10,635 of 11,521
- I believe only the very early LCD3 models suffered from the veil issue and it has long since been fixed.  I would bet very few "veiled" pairs are still around, so that should be a non-issue.

- I also believe that Audeze is no longer offering the Fazor upgrade because there was a lack of interest in the service.  Though I'd also bet if you called/emailed them they might work with you. 

Could be wrong on both of those, but that was the status of these issues last I recall.

I swore someone saying that Audeze still offers the fazor upgrade. It was like $250 for LCD2 and $350 for the LCD3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back