New Audeze LCD3
Dec 16, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #9,871 of 11,521

+1 on the Woo WA5, very good combination

I think Woo is the only booth I missed at CanJam. Serves them right for not supporting the SHaG! 
bigsmile_face.gif
 Will have to hit them next time and bring my LCD-3F's. 

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #9,873 of 11,521
  How disappointing, my right driver failed on my LCD-3 which I got used. Audeze wants $800 to repair it. That is half of what I paid for it. Does that seem a little high to anyone else? 

How old is your pair?

Dec 18, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #9,875 of 11,521
Better be for $ 800

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #9,877 of 11,521
So, I've listed the tube amps you recommended for ~$3000 (in no particular order):
DNA Stratus
Cavalli Liquid Glass (hybrid or fully-tubes?)
Leben CS300
Woo Audio WA5

The WA5 looks 'the works', but you're tempted to get the maxxed version with a good set of tubes and then easily reach the $5000 mark. Is it 'good enough' in stock form?

Also, stretching the budget, there's the Eddie Current BA and 2A3, also the ALO Studio Six - how do they match with the others?

Thanks!

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #9,878 of 11,521
So, I've listed the tube amps you recommended for ~$3000 (in no particular order):
DNA Stratus
Leben CS300
Woo Audio WA5

The WA5 looks 'the works', but you're tempted to get the maxxed version with a good set of tubes and then easily reach the $5000 mark. Is it 'good enough' in stock form?

Also, stretching the budget, there's the Eddie Current BA and 2A3, also the ALO Studio Six - how do they match with the others?

Thanks!

For that price u can get a wonderful sounding custom made Blue Circle headphone amp designed and made specifically for ur lcd3...check out the last page of my review of my PaG..a fellow headfi'er just got his BC CTAG amp delivered for his he6.. And it was around 3100usd..all custom made with specs to drive a he6...am sure they can do the same for any lcd3 owner...check my review page oit if ur interested..its below this post..my PaG is on first page..the CTAG is on last page of that thread...have fun reading :p

Dec 19, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #9,879 of 11,521
DNA Stratus
Leben CS300
Woo Audio WA5

Thanks!

The Cavalli LG is hybrid, I haven't heard any of the others on there so I can't really comment.

If you are willing to go a bit of $3k If you are willing to go out on a limb a little bit, and try something very different then check out the new offering from Vinnie Rossi. http://vinnierossi.com/

His previous product line was Red Wine Audio and I am currently using the now discontinued Cassabria and it is probably the finest piece of audio equipment I have ever owned. Vinnie's work with battery power supplies and now his capacitor power supply yields the blackest backgrounds I have ever experienced. If I configure the headphone amp with tube stage I get a price of $3800. Not cheap but I would bank on it being top rate. 

Dec 20, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #9,880 of 11,521
If anyone thinks that the LCD3 (of any version or vintage, fazored or not) is a reticent phone, try an ALO cable. This cable is like a surge of high-test fuel for them, for better or worse. I have their Chainmail cable (balanced) from a few years back and have tried it on several Audeze phones (the LCD2 also) with similar results. It really pumps up the lower treble and just makes all images more vibrant and forward, if that's what you are looking for.
(Note that it's about the heaviest, thickest, sturdiest cable I have ever seen; not for the faint of heart. It looks like it could hold up a bridge.)

Dec 22, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #9,881 of 11,521
  How disappointing, my right driver failed on my LCD-3 which I got used. Audeze wants $800 to repair it. That is half of what I paid for it. Does that seem a little high to anyone else? 

this is distressing news indeed. with their absurd rate of failure they should continue to provide no questions asked replacements for all they've sold so far. the fact that they HAD been providing such is what allowed them to keep selling so many despite the alarming number of driver failures. if they really stick to this I'm pretty certain it is going to backfire on them. who wants a pair of cans, new or used, with a ridiculous chance of trouble and an $800 penalty for having taken the chance with Audeze despite the failure record?

Get over it Audeze. you already have me thinking of dumping mine and shopping elsewhere for a replacement, before you screw me over too.

Dec 22, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #9,882 of 11,521

I just got my 2nd pair back that lasted 2 x years to the week almost and both sides have been upgraded to Fazors (or at least the mesh inside the cup has changed). Anyways I only had to pay for the postage $140AU. They sound better than the the "C" pair I sent back. This pair have the highs back that I felt I just didn't have with my 2nd pair. Anyways Im happy as I have them back for the Xmas break.

Dec 23, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #9,884 of 11,521
I just got my 2nd pair back that lasted 2 x years to the week almost and both sides have been upgraded to Fazors (or at least the mesh inside the cup has changed). Anyways I only had to pay for the postage $140AU. They sound better than the the "C" pair I sent back. This pair have the highs back that I felt I just didn't have with my 2nd pair. Anyways Im happy as I have them back for the Xmas break.

$140 wow, it only cost me $38 I'm in Australia. What service did you use?

Dec 23, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #9,885 of 11,521
$140 wow, it only cost me $38 I'm in Australia. What service did you use?

I used EMS. I figured, whether correctly or incorrectly, that if they go missing in transit or get damaged in transit, then its my problem not Audeze's or any manufacturer for that matter. So I sent them EMS and insured them for $600 Aussie Pesos

Users who are viewing this thread

Back