New Audeze LCD3
Dec 7, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #9,811 of 11,521
on what amp? ...beginning to wonder if you have a DC offset issue...

I use the RSA Dark Star. Elaborate on DC Offset issue...

And yes, my previous repairs, Audeze dealt with it very well, but the inconvenience of having to do without the headphones is frustrating. I'm also in the cayman isalnds, so having to deal with customs/tax etc is a pain.

Dec 7, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #9,812 of 11,521

Does this failure rate happen to the Fazor version as well? All this is a bit concerning. Do they had that issue with the LCD-2?

No issues with my LCD-3F's, granted they are only about a year old, but it was a year of heavy use. Also, I don't know that the failure rate is particularly high, I just think people who own high end headphones like the LCD's are more likely to post on Head-Fi and talk about it. Doubt the failure rate is much higher than other headphones, though I wouldn't really be able to say without knowing the numbers.

I have never read that much driver failure about the T1 or some other very popular headphone. The LCD-3 it seems very common. 

Dec 7, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #9,813 of 11,521
I have Denon D5000 and D7000 for years, and they are both working fine up to this day. At first I also thought it could be my amp, but after reading several other users experiencing the same issues, all with different gear, thought that it couldn't be my amp.

The LCD3 do sound amazing though, shame really that they are experiencing this issue.

Dec 7, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #9,814 of 11,521
Use a voltmeter to check that there is no DC voltage on the output...DC will fry a headphone over time.

I use the RSA Dark Star. Elaborate on DC Offset issue...

Dec 7, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #9,815 of 11,521
Dec 7, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #9,816 of 11,521
Use a voltmeter to check that there is no DC voltage on the output...DC will fry a headphone over time.

Just Tested, AC current comes through fine, no DC detected.

Dec 8, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #9,817 of 11,521

Does this failure rate happen to the Fazor version as well? All this is a bit concerning. Do they had that issue with the LCD-2?

No issues with my LCD-3F's, granted they are only about a year old, but it was a year of heavy use. Also, I don't know that the failure rate is particularly high, I just think people who own high end headphones like the LCD's are more likely to post on Head-Fi and talk about it. Doubt the failure rate is much higher than other headphones, though I wouldn't really be able to say without knowing the numbers.

Same here, reading these posts it seems the issues are with the older non fazored variety. Mine get a fair hammering for 8+ hours a day and no issues so far. Don't want to jinx myself here just before Christmas !

Dec 8, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #9,818 of 11,521
  Recently got my LCD3 back from Audeze.
Took 3 weeks all up from Australia to USA, then back to Australia. Upon hooking it up to my rig, I immediately notice it sounded very different. The sound wasn't as veil or dark, better bass and treble extension (more detailed sound overall). 
I thought to myself, left driver was faulty did they replace both drivers. So I sent Audeze support team an email.
I requested a detail list of what service was done to my headphone and an updated frequency chart.
Left drivers replaced, both connectors repaired because they where coming off, new conductors from the plugs to the driver and they sent me the same frequency chart.

After seeing the same FR chart, I thought nothing of it and just enjoy the music
(thinking I'm just getting old or my mind playing tricks on me).
Until yesterday, when I notice an outline of fine dust on the grills.
So I thought it would be a good idea to open the metal grills and clean out the filters.
To my surprise, ehh... these don't look like the LCD3 I originally bought. A quick check on the net confirm my initial thoughts on why the they sounded different when I got them back from repairs. The cheeky buggers at Audeze tech retro fitted the Fazor element on both side?
Not sure why they didn't disclosed this information. Not sure when they started rolling out the Fazor model, but my serial to my LCD3 is an early 2312177.

Im in the same boat is you it appears. Just as a side issue did they replace your LCD3s and give you a new set or replace the drivers only? And also how long did Audeze have them before sending them back to you. I would love to get mine back before Xmas but am not holding my breath

Dec 8, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #9,819 of 11,521
  Im in the same boat is you it appears. Just as a side issue did they replace your LCD3s and give you a new set or replace the drivers only? And also how long did Audeze have them before sending them back to you. I would love to get mine back before Xmas but am not holding my breath

I'm not sure with you but I only sent the 2 drivers not the headband as it would have almost double the postage cost from $36 to $68. They only replaced the drivers and the metal 4pin connectors as they where coming off on both side. They had them for 2 weeks. Might take longer during Christmas, where did you send yours off?

Dec 8, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #9,820 of 11,521
Yeh if you base it on headfi forum as sample you'll see driver failures in LCD3 thread more than other headphone threads - maybe except for StaxSR009 with their channel imbalance issue.

From seeing the sennheiser factory tour video you can understand why the HD800s experience relatively less failures. I'm not trolling I own a pair of LCD3s myself and have had them replaced once and the service was great.

Dec 8, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #9,821 of 11,521
I haven't visited this forum since last year аnd I'm surprised to find out that for this year Audez'e released FOUR new headphones - LCD-2F, LCD-3F, LCD-X and LCD-XC. From what I read here the 3Fs are FOTM and I'm thinking about replacing my ancient LCD-2 rev.2. But I'm ofraid that while they are traveling to Europe Audez'e may realease one more top product (or two...) and I'll be in the second echеlon again...
It's not the smartphone- or computer busines after all!... 
confused_face.gif

Dec 8, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #9,822 of 11,521

where did you send yours off?

I sent them last week and they were attempted delivery on Saturday but more likely today Tuesday (Au time) Mon west coast time.

To the other posters - Ive never heard of the the 2F and 3F descriptions. I love the sound but listening to my friends new fazored (failed drive LCD3c and returned F'd) his sounded crisper in the highs than mine. 

Dec 8, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #9,823 of 11,521
The "F" in LCD-3F and LCD-2F is not an official product designation from Audeze, it's just our way here on the forums of keeping track of whether a set is pre- or post-Fazor. Audeze just rolled it out as a "stealth" product upgrade. For example I ordered a pair of LCD-3's and had no idea the Fazor upgrade was happening (at that point it seemed like only the X and XC would have the Fazor) but then the pair I received was from the new batch that included the Fazors. 

You'll also see people here call the prior LCD-2 and -3's as "C" models, which means "Classic" and signifies they don't have the Fazor. Again, not an official Audeze product designation. 

If you want to see the full history of this transition, there are 655 pages of this thread that go into gory details. Ha! Cheers - 

Dec 8, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #9,824 of 11,521
  I haven't visited this forum since last year аnd I'm surprised to find out that for this year Audez'e released FOUR new headphones - LCD-2F, LCD-3F, LCD-X and LCD-XC. From what I read here the 3Fs are FOTM and I'm thinking about replacing my ancient LCD-2 rev.2. But I'm ofraid that while they are traveling to Europe Audez'e may realease one more top product (or two...) and I'll be in the second echеlon again...
It's not the smartphone- or computer busines after all!... 
confused_face.gif

Audeze did have a new prototype they showed off at RMAF a few months back, but they were tight-lipped on whether it would actually be released or not. It featured a carbon-fiber headband that was nice and a modified driver. 

Dec 8, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #9,825 of 11,521
Audeze did have a new prototype they showed off at RMAF a few months back, but they were tight-lipped on whether it would actually be released or not. It featured a carbon-fiber headband that was nice and a modified driver. 

Prototype to replace which model, or a side grade?
Carbon housing will look crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back