New Audeze LCD3
Nov 15, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #9,796 of 11,521
  LCD-3F has considerably more resolution and finesse than LCD-2F. This was evident for friends of mine who are not audiophiles and compared both side by side too.

YUP!

Mine too!

Which is why I stated above that my new-found love for the LCD-2F is strictly based on taste - and I'll say it again:
I don't believe the LCD-2F is superior to the LCD-3F in any way - I'm just really enjoyin' the hell outta my LCD-2F!!

and, the more I use it, now that it's broken in...
The LCD-3F is closing in FAST!!

Nov 21, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #9,797 of 11,521
Not a real upgrade, more of a halfgrade. They replace the stators and add the fazors, but keep the old 45 ohm diaphrams.

The production LCD-3Fs also have improved 110 ohm diaphrams and different dampening.

I dont know If it's a side grade because I never heard the old/classic lcd3, but the statement above is not true: the lcd3 fazored are 110ohm as well and from what I know the drivers of 3f are the same of the classic one

I got this answer directly from audeze

Nov 21, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #9,798 of 11,521
You seem confused about what I was addressing in my post. That's natural dealing with these headphones. :D

The original release of the LCD-3 was known here as the "veiled" version after it was "fixed" by Audeze with what later came to be known here as the LCD-3C or classic. Audeze has not seemed fit to keep track of these changes what for the customer is actually buying, so the different versions have evolved a convention here at Head-Fi to make some sense of the confusion.

Those LCD-3Cs were originally spec'd by Audeze at 55 ohms, later at 45 ohm. I never heard the veiled version but owned (and measured) the 55 ohm LCD-3C.

After the LCD-X was released, new purchasers of LCD-3s noticed that they had also had fazors installed. After inquiring to Audeze about updating mine with fazors, Audeze announced their their fazor upgrade program for the earlier LCD-3s. Audeze originally quoted a price of $250 for this "upgrade". They explicitly stated that they would change out stators and add fazors but would not upgrade to the 110 ohm diaphram. That is why I called those sent in and serviced with fazors without the new diaphram a "side grade", not an true upgrade to what was currently being manufactured and sold.

Note: some customers who had a driver problem sent in for warranty work received a fazored 110ohm version back. Those have been truly upgraded to LCD-3F spec.

I home auditioned for a few days, a pair of the new LCD-3Fs from a local dealer and compared to my LCD-3Cs. I took back the demo headphones and bought a new in box pair of LCD-3s with a build in March 2014. And lived happily with them ever since.

Until I bought my Stax SR-009s. :)

Dec 4, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #9,800 of 11,521
Recently got my LCD3 back from Audeze.
Took 3 weeks all up from Australia to USA, then back to Australia. Upon hooking it up to my rig, I immediately notice it sounded very different. The sound wasn't as veil or dark, better bass and treble extension (more detailed sound overall). 
I thought to myself, left driver was faulty did they replace both drivers. So I sent Audeze support team an email.
I requested a detail list of what service was done to my headphone and an updated frequency chart.
Left drivers replaced, both connectors repaired because they where coming off, new conductors from the plugs to the driver and they sent me the same frequency chart.

After seeing the same FR chart, I thought nothing of it and just enjoy the music
(thinking I'm just getting old or my mind playing tricks on me).
Until yesterday, when I notice an outline of fine dust on the grills.
So I thought it would be a good idea to open the metal grills and clean out the filters.
To my surprise, ehh... these don't look like the LCD3 I originally bought. A quick check on the net confirm my initial thoughts on why the they sounded different when I got them back from repairs. The cheeky buggers at Audeze tech retro fitted the Fazor element on both side?
Not sure why they didn't disclosed this information. Not sure when they started rolling out the Fazor model, but my serial to my LCD3 is an early 2312177.

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #9,801 of 11,521
Fazor models have been out for just about exactly one year now, and while they quit offering the upgrade service, it seems to come with all new repairs.

Dec 6, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #9,802 of 11,521
Hey Guys,

I'm really sad and frustrated right now. I'm probably on my 3rd pair of LCD3. Last replacement was March 2013. I listened to my cans fine last night, they sounded great. Powered down all my gear and went to bed. Came back the following night, put them on my head, left can stuttered in and out. My heart dropped to the floor and I thought to myself, "not again! sigh" Left can went totally dead a few seconds later. I've sent in a support request to Audeze so awaiting response which im guessing would be Monday.

This sucks happening so close to Christmas, I was really looking forward to some great sessions. I hope I can get a replacement before Christmas, and I hope I get a pair that actually works consistently and doesn't give this issue anymore. The fazor upgrade would be nice as well.

Dec 7, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #9,803 of 11,521
  Hey Guys,

I'm really sad and frustrated right now. I'm probably on my 3rd pair of LCD3. Last replacement was March 2013. I listened to my cans fine last night, they sounded great. Powered down all my gear and went to bed. Came back the following night, put them on my head, left can stuttered in and out. My heart dropped to the floor and I thought to myself, "not again! sigh" Left can went totally dead a few seconds later. I've sent in a support request to Audeze so awaiting response which im guessing would be Monday.

This sucks happening so close to Christmas, I was really looking forward to some great sessions. I hope I can get a replacement before Christmas, and I hope I get a pair that actually works consistently and doesn't give this issue anymore. The fazor upgrade would be nice as well.

What a shame, hopefully they can get you sorted for Christmas, bad time of year to be without your LCD's 
confused_face.gif

Dec 7, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #9,804 of 11,521
Hey Guys,

Sound exactly like what happened to my LCD3 before I had to send them back to Audeze. Their service pretty good i wouldn't worry so much. But getting them back before the Christmas rush gonna be a tough one. Wish you all the best.

Dec 7, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #9,805 of 11,521
  Hey Guys,

Even that I really like the sound of the LCD-3 this is exactly why I have never been able to convince myself on investing in a pair. I know they have great service but this kind of quality issues should not happen at this rate. Even that they replace the drivers as they have been doing it just creates a lot of inconvenience and just don't make me feel good about them. In all my years going through different headphones I just have had one issue (knock on wood) and was with my MHP1000 but it was immediately identified since new and they were not fixed, they were replaced with a brand new pair.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Dec 7, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #9,806 of 11,521
  Hey Guys,

Mine are headed out for their 3rd repair as well.  Frustrating, but I've had unusually good luck with electronics for a long time so I suppose I was due.

Not that it mitigates the reliability, but Audeze has been very good at handling the repairs.  Turn around time has been 1-2 weeks from day sent to day received. YMMV if not dealing directly with Audeze and.or not based in the States.

Dec 7, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #9,807 of 11,521
Well Im on my 2nd pair of LCD3's (non-veiled) and just had to RMA them to Audeze. Left driver started to flicker in and out and finally went altogether. They are less than 2 years old. Ever since I got this set I have never been 100% happy with the sound compared to my brief stint with my 1st set. Anyways they are enroute to Audeze now so hoping they do whatever they do real fast and Fedex that back to me ASAP.

Dec 7, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #9,809 of 11,521
on what amp? ...beginning to wonder if you have a DC offset issue...

Hey Guys,

Dec 7, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #9,810 of 11,521
Does this failure rate happen to the Fazor version as well? All this is a bit concerning. Do they had that issue with the LCD-2?

No issues with my LCD-3F's, granted they are only about a year old, but it was a year of heavy use. Also, I don't know that the failure rate is particularly high, I just think people who own high end headphones like the LCD's are more likely to post on Head-Fi and talk about it. Doubt the failure rate is much higher than other headphones, though I wouldn't really be able to say without knowing the numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back