New Audeze LCD3
Apr 17, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #5,207 of 11,521
Why don't you find better tings to do with your time than posting pocornnsmileys in multiple threads? If you do not have anything to say, stop posting. 

Quote:
popcorn.gif

Apr 17, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #5,208 of 11,521
Better time to do something? I do enjoy reading this forum... what's wrong?

Miss leading you to click and open for reading? lol~

popcorn.gif

Apr 17, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #5,209 of 11,521
Is anyone else experiencing drivers cutting in and out/crackling from the newer batch of LCD3's? They were built between march 5-15th.  It has almost been a week since it first happened but it started to do it again this morning.

Apr 17, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #5,210 of 11,521

Quote:
Is anyone else experiencing drivers cutting in and out/crackling from the newer batch of LCD3's? They were built between march 5-15th.  It has almost been a week since it first happened but it started to do it again this morning.

basshead.gif

Apr 17, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #5,211 of 11,521
I have yet to have them cut out on me at home. At work I use an old Sansui 2000, which I thought was going to be the problem. I have removed it from the equation and run the 3's directly out of the xfi music in my workstation. With this scenario, it has only cut out one time and it was very brief.  I have brought a set of lcd2s and my ps500s to work over the last week trying to see if its just an issue with something at my work. Neither the 2's or the ps500s have had an issue yet.

Apr 17, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #5,212 of 11,521
I'd send them in right away.

Edit: How much time is on them? My LCD 2s gave me a similar small scare in the first few hours but none since and they have well over 300 now.

Apr 17, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #5,213 of 11,521
just got my LCD-3s from Headroom.
right out of the box, then sound is immaculate.
to the degree where i'm wondering how i can go back to listening to other headphones after this.

i was just saying to myself, "god i hope these drivers don't fail".
well...   knock on zebrawood.

-the wuss

Apr 17, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #5,215 of 11,521

Your right about going back to listen to anything else. I had a hard time enjoying what the ps500s were producing the day I brought them into work to test. And they are excellent headphones also, just not on the level of a lcd2/3 IMO.
Quote:
just got my LCD-3s from Headroom.
right out of the box, then sound is immaculate.
to the degree where i'm wondering how i can go back to listening to other headphones after this.

i was just saying to myself, "god i hope these drivers don't fail".
well...   knock on zebrawood.

-the wuss

Apr 17, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #5,216 of 11,521

Quote:
I have yet to have them cut out on me at home. At work I use an old Sansui 2000, which I thought was going to be the problem. I have removed it from the equation and run the 3's directly out of the xfi music in my workstation. With this scenario, it has only cut out one time and it was very brief.  I have brought a set of lcd2s and my ps500s to work over the last week trying to see if its just an issue with something at my work. Neither the 2's or the ps500s have had an issue yet.

Why don't you just send them in? Are you hoping that minor rips in the film or or traces slightly coming off (just speculating the cause) will magically heal themselves over time?

You shouldn't have any doubts that Audeze will take care of you.

Apr 17, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #5,217 of 11,521

I will certainly send them in for repair. I actually was hoping  the problem was going to magically heal itself. No doubt that audeze will take care of it. I only posed the question to to see if anyone has had an issue. When I first heard it, i assumed it was the album I was listening to. When it happened again, i figured something was going wrong. Maybe someone else has heard the same and didnt think anything of it. It was only a question.
Quote:

Why don't you just send them in? Are you hoping that minor rips in the film or or traces slightly coming off (just speculating the cause) will magically heal themselves over time?

You shouldn't have any doubts that Audeze will take care of you.

Apr 17, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #5,219 of 11,521
They are amazing headphones. I can bring myself to forget about the cut outs and I dont think about it until it happens. Just enjoy them. whatever happens happens.

Quote:
Well I feel much better now... :S

Feels like I'm waiting for a broken headphone.
Schwallman and TheWuss, what is your serial number?

Apr 17, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #5,220 of 11,521
This is my first post on Head-Fi, and I wanted to share my experience with my pre-RMA and post-RMA LCD-3. To start, why did I RMA'd them? My early batch unit never sounded veiled to me, and indeed it was among the non-veiled units in Tyll's sample. Yet even with my non-veiled unit, I felt that my LCD-3, while lovely and an improvement over the LCD-2 in several respects, were missing upper midrange and treble energy. This was not a problem on some genres such as slow tempo female vocals (in fact, they sounded awesome in such genres), but on denser, more complex music the sound was bit muddy, lacking clarity. More importantly, I felt the headphones did not do justice to the higher overtones of many instruments, which are so crucial in giving a given instrument or orchestra its own sound. I listen to a lot of symphonic music, and through my LCD-3 all orchestras sounded lovely but not fully themselves.

My repaired units solve these problems in spades. I would not hesitate in saying that the differences between early and late LCD-3 mirror (and are as significant) as those between the LCD-2.1 and the LCD-2.2, and that the latest LCD-3 has a sound signature closer to the LCD-2.2 than to the early LCD-3. In my RMAd unit the sound is now significantly more lit up, faster, clearer, more open, and (crucial to me), more able to differentiate the subtle tonal differences across instruments and orchestras. On the other hand, the bass, though still deep, is less impactful. At first I felt the bass was bit weak relative to the Audez'e awesome norm in this area, until I played jazz bass and organ and realized the bass was as deep as one would want. It was only then that I realized that, in retrospect, my previous unit had "too much" bass, in that the bass bled into the higher frequencies and simply resonated too much. 

So, is the repaired unit better? I think this will be a matter of taste, in the same way that some people prefer the LCD-2.1 to the 2.2, and vice-versa. If you don't find your early LCD-3 veiled, and you love its lush presentation, and don't feel it's too dark sounding, don't exchange it as you may find the new unit a bit too lit up and not lush enough. Personally, I find the changes suit my expectations great, and find that the LCD-3 finally deliver on their promise and sound the way they should have sounded from the get go. 

Now, although the latest LCD-3 and the LCD-2.2 share a very similar sound signature, I would add the former is a significant step up (I'm not speaking of memory, I have them side by side now in my house). The LCD-3 is faster, more open and transparent, and significantly more refined (the LCD-2.2's treble sounds rough by comparison).

Two final observations if I may. First, the turnover was incredibly fast: I sent them on a Saturday for Monday delivery, and I had them home five days later on Thursday (on the east coast). Second, I felt the sound improved significantly over the first twenty hours of playtime, though it could be my brain adapting to the significant change in sound signature. 

Hope some of you find these impressions useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back