Apr 8, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #5,041 of 11,521

Quote:
LCD-3 tech specs use the metric system, except this one:

"-Transducer active diaphragm area: 6.17 sq. in."

confused_face%281%29.gif

39.8063 cm²​

Apr 8, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #5,042 of 11,521

Quote:
I wouldn't say this thread is off topic, but I have a feeling somebody should report something about something related to headphones in some time not too distant to avoid it from happening.

Do the LCD-3s sound like they are 50% better Rev 2s? Or do they present a somewhat different sound? I read often that the LCD-3s are like an upgraded R.1 and I know those are quite different than the R.2s.

If I go from an R.2 to the 3 (with upgraded amp/DAC, or course), am I to expect what I already get but better in everyway? Or is there something I may not like about the upgraded Audeze sound, something that differs from the R.2s signature?

Was wondering about that. Thanks.

Apr 8, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #5,043 of 11,521
Goodness gracious, what did I start?

Being that the graph from my LCD-2s was dated 3/27, I'm gonna hope they still use the American dating (raise the flag, now) system, especially since this makes me happy.

Also making me happy is the sound, which I can't say sounds veiled in any way, at least to me.

And on the near-hegemony of the metric system, why does my GTI have 18-INCH wheels and tires?

Deverica Wolf, for me the 3s have more impact than the 2s, more detail and bass. They draw my attention to slightly different parts of the music, but are very much in the same sound family. At the risk of offending the Stax/electrostatic crowd, the stats are lean, disciplined classical musicians while the Audezes are more gemutlick (sp?) party rockers. If you like the 2s, you should enjoy the 3s even more. I do. 

Apr 8, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #5,044 of 11,521

Quote:
Being that the graph from my LCD-2s was dated 3/27, I'm gonna hope they still use the American dating (raise the flag, now) system, especially since this makes me happy.

If they don't, I guess we could the 27th month Vigintiseptember.

Apr 8, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #5,045 of 11,521
That explains all the issues with the driver....

Quote:
LCD-3 tech specs use the metric system, except this one:

"-Transducer active diaphragm area: 6.17 sq. in."

confused_face%281%29.gif

@ DevoricaWolf, the 3 is similar to both and superior to both in detail, separation etc. I am going to keep my rev.1s. And the 3, of course. They are both too good to let go voluntarily :)

Apr 8, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #5,046 of 11,521

Quote:
That explains all the issues with the driver....

@ DevoricaWolf, the 3 is similar to both and superior to both in detail, separation etc. I am going to keep my rev.1s

Could you be less vague and more helpful?

Also,Is the price what's swaying you from keeping the LCD-3?

Apr 8, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #5,047 of 11,521
Oh, you got me wrong - I'll keep both! It's hard to be very specific without ending up with a full review... First: LCD3 has a very smooth and polite and beautiful treble - think rev.1 with more refinement. The mids are less up front than the rev.1, probably also the than rev 2 if I don't remember wrong. The bass weight feels quite similar. What makes the LCD3 shine is all the extra texture. Separation is better, there is more air. I felt the rev.2 to be more edgy than rev.1, but the 3 feels less edgy, In a clear and revealing way. It is precise but not crisp. All texture. With the HD800 I felt the details were screaming at me, with the LCD3 it is just there. The reason I keep the rev.1 is partly because it blends the instruments more together, which also can be a very nice thing. Too much separation can make the music feel further away from you.. They are both my cup of tea, but different blends. I like having several blends to choose from :)

Apr 8, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #5,048 of 11,521

Quote:
Oh, you got me wrong - I'll keep both! It's hard to be very specific without ending up with a full review... First: LCD3 has a very smooth and polite and beautiful treble - think rev.1 with more refinement. The mids are less up front than the rev.1, probably also the than rev 2 if I don't remember wrong. The bass weight feels quite similar. What makes the LCD3 shine is all the extra texture. Separation is better, there is more air. I felt the rev.2 to be more edgy than rev.1, but the 3 feels less edgy, In a clear and revealing way. It is precise but not crisp. All texture. With the HD800 I felt the details were screaming at me, with the LCD3 it is just there. The reason I keep the rev.1 is partly because it blends the instruments more together, which also can be a very nice thing. Too much separation can make the music feel further away from you.. They are both my cup of tea, but different blends. I like having several blends to choose from :)

Ah, I completely skipped over the part where you said you keeping both Rev.1s and 3s. Well, I just thought you were leaving a little something out 
Thank you for the extra details :)

Do you find the 3s faster than the Rev. 2 or just about the same?

Apr 8, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #5,049 of 11,521
You didn't miss it, I filled it in afterwards, but before I saw your post. Since the LCD is more detailed, it is also faster. But it doesn't show off with its snappiness, it lets me focus up timbre and neuances. Reminds me of O2/SR007 in many ways, but I like the LCD3 sound sig. more. But this is from memory and I never heard the O2 on any of the top tier amps.

Apr 8, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #5,050 of 11,521
Is it "safe"?

I own a pair of rev 2's and have been sitting on the sidelines while Audez'e worked through some issues with the LCD-3. While I recently retired, I find that I can barely keep up with this incredibly active thread (5, 050 posts and counting).

Bottom line: Is it now safe to order a pair of LCD-3s without fear of one QC issue or another? If yes, what would be the earliest manufactured date that would ensure that I receive a reliable pair?

Apr 8, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #5,051 of 11,521
I think you should really go back through the last 10 pages or so. It seems as if most if not all LCD-3s being sent back have been "fixed" 
Also, I believe the manufactured date doesn't matter, I could be wrong but I recall someone saying their pair had a older date but was "fixed".
Please, correct me if that's wrong. Bottom line: I think you should buy 'em now if you find you're having doubts send them in. Audeze seems to be on their game right now with customer service. 

Apr 8, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #5,052 of 11,521

Quote:
Is it "safe"?
I own a pair of rev 2's and have been sitting on the sidelines while Audez'e worked through some issues with the LCD-3. While I recently retired, I find that I can barely keep up with this incredibly active thread (5, 050 posts and counting).
Bottom line: Is it now safe to order a pair of LCD-3s without fear of one QC issue or another? If yes, what would be the earliest manufactured date that would ensure that I receive a reliable pair?

I don't see how anyone can know if its safe now without fear of one QC issue or another.  Simply because someone in this thread says it looks like Audeze has addressed the problem(s) doesn't give the situation more validity than a common guess.  No one really knows.

Apr 8, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #5,053 of 11,521
Audeze definitely looks to be on the right track. I would buy from them directly to ensure that you get the latest production units. As well, many of us have had units since day 1 without issue.

Over the past several weeks, the latest production runs have looked pretty solid. As paradoxper mentioned, go over the past 10-15 pages to see for yourself.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/580283/lcd3-measurements/225#post_8260354

Apr 8, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #5,054 of 11,521
Truthfully, it's always been "safe." At no point in my LCD-3 journey did I feel like I was going to end up holding inferior product, or would be unable to receive a full refund because of my situation.

If by safe, you mean 100% fully functional product the first time around guaranteed, I'd say we're very close but perhaps not quite there yet.

Apr 8, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #5,055 of 11,521

Quote:
I don't see how anyone can know if its safe now without fear of one QC issue or another.  Simply because someone in this thread says it looks like Audeze has addressed the problem(s) doesn't give the situation more validity than a common guess.  No one really knows.

Sure, but it hasn't been just one person, it's been multiple. As I said those who sent theirs in have had them fixed.  Hence the "it seems" like they've resolved these problem(s) 
Just one of many voicing their opinion. Hell, if he really, really wanted to really know. Ask Audeze directly, that is if you trust their word.

Edit: WA not directed at me:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back